5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spanked an M3 today on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 06:07 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Street Reeper
Well just yesterday I raced and beat a Modena 360 turbo!!!

Ok so change the 360 to 850

Alright d@mn it, change the modena to volvo

But I refuse to change the turbo part
hey...at least they both have leather!

Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 AM

I just drove a 98 E36 5sp M3 yesterday and it really didn't feel faster than my Maxima. How many of you are talking from experience instead of through the "BMW awe filter?" Yes, I know how to drive a stick and yes, I was beating the crap out of it to make sure it was in good shape. Now, the new E46 with 333HP, that monster rocks. I'm not going to show the BS flag for this one.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

way to much credit to the BMWs

you guys like M-5 way to much. i went to the track last week and saw tw0 m-5 make some passes. one was the new body style and the other was a little older. the new one was a auto and was onl runing 14.7s. teh other was a manual and was geting beet by the auto. i so i am no longer impressed at all with M-5. i will give it up to the 7 sieres. i love thoughs but stop all this mess on the board about m-5 being faster than any thing they realy such in all honesty. oh and the two at the track had intakes and full exhaust. just my 2cent
Old 04-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Banned

Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by maxGTRvq35de
you guys like M-5 way to much. i went to the track last week and saw tw0 m-5 make some passes. one was the new body style and the other was a little older. the new one was a auto and was onl runing 14.7s. teh other was a manual and was geting beet by the auto. i so i am no longer impressed at all with M-5. i will give it up to the 7 sieres. i love thoughs but stop all this mess on the board about m-5 being faster than any thing they realy such in all honesty. oh and the two at the track had intakes and full exhaust. just my 2cent
M5 does NOT come with an auto, only 6sp. The auto must have been a "fake" M5 then.

If you guys look at the original post starter's thread where he put up an Ebay link with a pic of the car he raced, you'll see it's a very old generation M3, not the ones you all seem to think (95 and up). Therefore, I don't see why he couldn't spank that older one.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by 2kGLE
Honestly people, do any of you have any idea what the specs of that car are? The last year they still made that body style was 1991. It is a 2.3 liter inline 4, 192hp, 170tq, 2867lbs, manual, rwd. Now, a 2k3 maxima has around 200fwhp and similar torque. Thats more at the wheels than the old m3 has at the crank, and all of you are saying BS?

Thank you....Many just think its bull **** because they dont know the specs of the car...all you guys who HATE on these other Maxima owners saying they are BS'ing about races...arent we all on the same team??? GUESS NOT damn haters. BTW...good kill and nice post 2kGLE.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:55 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

His max could kick the doo doo out of the E30 M3 -in a straight line only. Any other M3 would either be a good race, or hand the max a serious as$ whoopin'.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:47 AM

The E36 M3 with MT will spank an auto 02/02 max on the highway. They have a huge gearing advantage, and put more hp to the wheels than the max. The 6-speed would acquit itself better, but I still predict that the M3 would pull away. I can't believe these two cars are even being compared to one another. Try racing the M3 on a road course in your max, and see how bad you get your *** worked. I love my 02 6-speed, but the M3 is in a whole different class.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:47 AM

well driven STOCK M5s run mid to low 13's all day long. put some dinan mods on there, and they'll dip into the 12's. like the post above said, the M5 must have been a badge. he was driving a modded 528 (530), or a he was a poor driver of a modded 540iA.

i've been in a new M5 at WOT (friend driving), and i will attest to all of the hype surrounding the M5. the maxima, sorry to say, puts up absolutely no comparison in ANY category.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:08 AM

IIRC, M5 is available Manual Trans Only..n/t

n/t
Old 04-18-2003, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by Young04

well driven STOCK M5s run mid to low 13's all day long. put some dinan mods on there, and they'll dip into the 12's. like the post above said, the M5 must have been a badge. he was driving a modded 528 (530), or a he was a poor driver of a modded 540iA.

i've been in a new M5 at WOT (friend driving), and i will attest to all of the hype surrounding the M5. the maxima, sorry to say, puts up absolutely no comparison in ANY category.
My uncle owns a 2002 M5 and that thing is bad. No Max, no matter how modded it is, can't even touch it. It pulls like a freight train (394 hp V8 with 8 INDIVIDUAL throttle bodies). It incorporates racing technology into a package that is more comftorable than most luxury cars. It's the best of both worlds and if I had $80K to spend on a car, an electric blue M5 will be sitting in my driveway.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM

Current Body Style M5's are manuals only. At 13.08 in the 1/4 mile from the factory, it lives up to it's reputation and is very VERY respectable...
Old 04-18-2003, 04:24 PM

Yes I believed that you beat the M3 >>>

The E30 M3 that you beat in stock form only has a 4 cylinder engine making 190 hp and about 155 torque. Also the person that said that the BMW M3 shifter sucked, have you ever driven one ??? BMW has one of the best shifting transmission, much better than the Maxima.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Handsome

Since it's on topic

M3's are nasty with a little boost (right click and save as, also tape your jaw shut because it is going to hit the floor)

SC M3 vs Ferrari 355 http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/f355.mpg

SC M3 vs 911 Turbo http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/turbo.mpg

SC M3 vs Diablo http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/diablo.mpg

SC M3 vs 360 Modena http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/modena.mpg
Old 04-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

Re: Since it's on topic

Originally posted by Street Reeper
M3's are nasty with a little boost (right click and save as, also tape your jaw shut because it is going to hit the floor)

SC M3 vs Ferrari 355 http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/f355.mpg

SC M3 vs 911 Turbo http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/turbo.mpg

SC M3 vs Diablo http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/diablo.mpg

SC M3 vs 360 Modena http://www.enigma247.co.uk/videos/modena.mpg
Umm, just exactly how much boost was he running in that M3? He claims 415 hp at the flywheel on a 240hp rated engine (stock). The only one I can see that he pulled on was the F355. The Turbo video is questionable since he started taping when they were at like 280 km/h, and the Lambo was pulling on him.

By the way, what a bunch of idiots driving like that. I know it's Turkey and all, and I have some Turkish friends who told me that it's crazy over there when it comes to driving...Now I can actually see it. I'd be surprised if these kids are still alive!
Old 04-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by heems27

My uncle owns a 2002 M5 and that thing is bad. No Max, no matter how modded it is, can't even touch it.

Get real, if you put enough money into any car you could spank a stock M5. There are maximas here that would kill a M5..

It's a great performing car out of the box but it's to large and heavy to ever be much of a race car(unlike the M3).
Old 04-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by emax02

Get real, if you put enough money into any car you could spank a stock M5. There are maximas here that would kill a M5..

It's a great performing car out of the box but it's to large and heavy to ever be much of a race car(unlike the M3).
you really think there are max's here that would smoke a 400 hp RWD M5? i'm not calling you a liar, just saying it would take a damn lot to get up to that level. it's hard to imagine a front driver getting to 60 in under 5 seconds.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by thrasher

you really think there are max's here that would smoke a 400 hp RWD M5? i'm not calling you a liar, just saying it would take a damn lot to get up to that level. it's hard to imagine a front driver getting to 60 in under 5 seconds.
I don't think there are any maximas that can out run a M5, I know it: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=197354

Need I say more?
Old 04-19-2003, 07:33 PM

i wouldnt say there are alot of maximas that can beat it. but as an overall car, the m5 is much much better due to its handling abilities.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

I don't think there are any maximas that can out run a M5, I know it: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=197354

Need I say more?
fair enough...like i said, i wasn't doubting, just hadn't seen any proof
Old 04-19-2003, 08:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

You would need to put huge amounts of money to make a Maxima spank a M5. Yes in a straight line, its pretty easy, but in handling its not very feasible. You would have to do a RWD conversion in order to achieve a near 50/50 weight distribution. You can put all the money into a Maxima's suspension, but it wont feel as confident as a M5.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:48 PM

The next gen M5 is rumored to boast 500hp at the crank!
Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

You would need to put huge amounts of money to make a Maxima spank a M5. Yes in a straight line, its pretty easy, but in handling its not very feasible. You would have to do a RWD conversion in order to achieve a near 50/50 weight distribution. You can put all the money into a Maxima's suspension, but it wont feel as confident as a M5.
I never doubted a M5's handeling ability nore did I bring it up. But since you have brought it into the conversation here.. In a skid pad I would "SPANK" a M5. In a road coarse I would also put my money on my maxima (If I had the same straight line power as the M5).

A modified car (IE maxima) with a good suspenion can hang with and pass just about any stock car (of course there are some exceptions out there) in terms of handeling.

The only question is, would a modified M5 be able to out run a modified maxima? Hmm, well yes..
Old 04-19-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

I never doubted a M5's handeling ability nore did I bring it up. But since you have brought it into the conversation here.. In a skid pad I would "SPANK" a M5. In a road coarse I would also put my money on my maxima (If I had the same straight line power as the M5).

A modified car (IE maxima) with a good suspenion can hang with and pass just about any stock car (of course there are some exceptions out there) in terms of handeling.

The only question is, would a modified M5 be able to out run a modified maxima? Hmm, well yes..
A M5 puts down some good skidpad numbers and I feel that with basic suspension mods a Maxima could pull similar numbers. As for handling, from my experience, our cars main problem is understeer. The M5 will understeer, but not nearly as much as a Maxima. FWD sucks when you are trying to make a good handling car. A stock M5 would spank my modded Maxima around Gingerman (which is a handling course). It would take a full race coilover suspension, BB kit, and wide S0-3s for my car to be competive. Our cars are at a huge disadvantage with the uneven weight distribution. As for our Maximas hanging and passing any stock car, there are tons of cars that would smoke us on a road course that are stock.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

A M5 puts down some good skidpad numbers and I feel that with basic suspension mods a Maxima could pull similar numbers. As for handling, from my experience, our cars main problem is understeer. The M5 will understeer, but not nearly as much as a Maxima. FWD sucks when you are trying to make a good handling car. A stock M5 would spank my modded Maxima around Gingerman (which is a handling course). It would take a full race coilover suspension, BB kit, and wide S0-3s for my car to be competive. Our cars are at a huge disadvantage with the uneven weight distribution. As for our Maximas hanging and passing any stock car, there are tons of cars that would smoke us on a road course that are stock.
Maybe you did not understand what I meant. The point I was trying to make was that a highly modified maxima could out handel almost any stock car. I also said that there are some exceptions. This is a fact and I am not going to argue this point.

I do not know if any of you recall but I beleive it was in the November 1996 issue of Moter trend. They put a maxima SMX onto a road coarse and tested it out. It was able to achieve a .92 (or it may have ben even higher) G-force rating. The MT staff was very impressed in the car's ability. It had 245 Yokohama tires, FSB and a eibach suspension setup. I really shoudl try to find this mag and scan it for all to read, it realy proves what a properly modified maxima is capable of in the wistys. That rear beam everyone haites on is great at the track..

And as for first part of what you said it is really opinionated, the only way one of us could be right or wrong is to race the two cars with equal drivers.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:25 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

I do not know if any of you recall but I beleive it was in the November 1996 issue of Moter trend. They put a maxima SMX onto a road coarse and tested it out. It was able to achieve a .92 (or it may have ben even higher) G-force rating. The MT staff was very impressed in the car's ability.
I just looked. It's not in that issue.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

Maybe you did not understand what I meant. The point I was trying to make was that a highly modified maxima could out handel almost any stock car. I also said that there are some exceptions. This is a fact and I am not going to argue this point.
A modded Maxima can outhandle possibly every stock sedan in the market, but the fact is that the majority of sports cars produced handle better. I have seen this on the track......

I do not know if any of you recall but I beleive it was in the November 1996 issue of Moter trend. They put a maxima SMX onto a road coarse and tested it out. It was able to achieve a .92 (or it may have ben even higher) G-force rating. The MT staff was very impressed in the car's ability. It had 245 Yokohama tires, FSB and a eibach suspension setup. I really shoudl try to find this mag and scan it for all to read, it realy proves what a properly modified maxima is capable of in the wistys. That rear beam everyone haites on is great at the track..

And as for first part of what you said it is really opinionated, the only way one of us could be right or wrong is to race the two cars with equal drivers.
Slalom really doesnt show how a car handles, so I dont care that the SMX pulled a .92 . The Maxima isnt really a star performer on the track. As I have stated before, FWD and a 60% front weight bias causes understeer. Understeer is good for someone learning, but doesnt make for quick lap times. I have been to the track and it was great fun, but a sports car would have been more suitable. I would have a hard time leaving my moms 330i sport at Gingerman. Even with a auto and less power, the superior brakes and suspension would help out tons.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

A modded Maxima can outhandle possibly every stock sedan in the market, but the fact is that the majority of sports cars produced handle better. I have seen this on the track......

Slalom really doesnt show how a car handles, so I dont care that the SMX pulled a .92 . The Maxima isnt really a star performer on the track. As I have stated before, FWD and a 60% front weight bias causes understeer. Understeer is good for someone learning, but doesnt make for quick lap times. I have been to the track and it was great fun, but a sports car would have been more suitable. I would have a hard time leaving my moms 330i sport at Gingerman. Even with a auto and less power, the superior brakes and suspension would help out tons.

The .92 represents the skidpad, not the slalom. The slalom was over 70 MPH though. And again we would have to have a match up for one of us to be right so I really do not see the point in saying which one is faster.

Matt, maybe it was Decemeber 96, I'm not sure. I am going to try to dig up the mag today.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:57 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

The .92 represents the skidpad, not the slalom. The slalom was over 70 MPH though. And again we would have to have a match up for one of us to be right so I really do not see the point in saying which one is faster.

Matt, maybe it was Decemeber 96, I'm not sure. I am going to try to dig up the mag today.
Yep, thats it.

"Far more tangible are the advances on the handling front, where the SMX enjoys meaty improvements in every performance measure. The Yokohama-wrapped 17-inch MOMO wheels combine with shorter progressive-rate springs to transform the Maxima. Ultimate skidpad grip jumped from 0.83 g stock to 0.90 g, and the slalom speed increased by 3.6 mph to a steamy 68.7 mph. Berserk laps around the racetrack revealed no evil habits, just predictable manners and substantially higher limits. Only the $100,000-plus RENNTech E60 was capable of lapping faster. The SMX's stock Nissan dampers were a touch slushy on the track, but allow the car to retain much of it's comfortable ride compliance."
Old 04-20-2003, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

There is a point to saying which one is faster....ACTUAL TRACK EXPERIENCE.

Pretty much any sports car, ranging from a S2K to Z06, will destroy a modded Maxima on a "handling" road course. A few sport sedans will be neck and neck....and this is STOCK. You are overestimating the handling of a modded Maxima and not taking into account its major drawbacks. My car has the exact modifications as the SMX and it is no where near as fast as the slower sports cars around Gingerman.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: way to much credit to the BMWs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAX2000JP

There is a point to saying which one is faster....ACTUAL TRACK EXPERIENCE.
Did your ACTUAL TRACK EXPERIENCE have a back to back race with a modded maxima (all the handeling mods and equal straight line power to that of an M5's) and a M5.... No I did not think so, so please stop yelling and making me repeat myself.............................

Pretty much any sports car, ranging from a S2K to Z06, will destroy a modded Maxima on a "handling" road course.
This is a revelation here, did I not say a "few" cars could beat a modded maxima in terms of handeling? Few means 3 or more.. I am well aware there are exceptions, but the point is THERE ARE NOT MANY, lol..

A few sport sedans will be neck and neck....and this is STOCK. You are overestimating the handling of a modded Maxima and not taking into account its major drawbacks.
The phrase "a few" comes to mind here again. What do you not understand about what I said? I am not over estimating a modded maxima's performance, rather you have convinced your self I am.

My car has the exact modifications as the SMX and it is no where near as fast as the slower sports cars around Gingerman.
If you have the same mods as the SMX then you must not have a RSB. The SMX did not even have a RSB..

Again a opinionated reply from you which has no proof to back it up. Your seat of the pants feeling hardly makes me a beleiver