5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"VTC" Sensor, Possible issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 06:09 PM

"VTC" Sensor, Possible TSB coming soon?

Hey Org,
Last week I posted a couple of threads about an extended crank with delayed fire that happened randomly when I tried to start my vehicle. The dealer had my max for two days and the diagnostics computers reflected that everything was fine, but the mechanic couldn't start the vehicle. He would turn the key, the car would crank, crank, crank and maybe start. Finally he contacted Nissan techs andn they alerted him of a possible TSB that may not be out in regards to the "VTC" sensor that's causing these problems and is directly impacting the hesitation that we all have been complaining about. They made it sound like Nissan was aware of the issue but really hadn't sent any communications out in regards. At least that's what they're telling me. They ordered the part, I have to take it in tomorrow and hopefully they're going to fix it. Thought I'd share it with all since this is something that may affect everyone in the near future.

Does anyone know anything about the so called "VTC" sensor?

Has anyone heard of such an issue?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Hesitation

Does anyone think that this sensor might be contributing to the ongoing hesitation issue that we've all experienced at some point?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:26 PM

my max hestitate all the time... it is a 2002 gxe... and i was not sure it was a cold weather related issue or not.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:46 AM

Done!

Ok Org..
The part came in today early morning and 2 hours later my car was done! They put in the new part, reprogrammed the ecu and bang! My Max runs like a bat out of hell now and it starts flawlessly. Thank you all that responded to my previous posts in regards to my starting issues. For those of you that responded with a similar issue, don't wait. Take it to the dealership and have them check out the "VTC" sensor. Apparently what it remembers the exact cam position so that the car knows which cylinder or sequence to follow when starting your vehicle. It DOES contribute to the hesitation that's been reported and NISSAN does know about it but has not published anything in regards to my understanding. If your max has a noticeable extended crank time before it starts, that's the first symptom along with hesitation. My max runs better than what it did brand new and I only have 17k miles!

Hope this helps..
Meth