5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drove a G35 Coupe this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:06 PM

Drove a G35 Coupe this weekend...

...and since so many people on the .ORG look to this as their next car (or the car they wish they bought) I figured I'd post my experience:

The Good:
- The bolstered seats give hug your butt and keep you planted when going around corners.
- The ride comfort was AWESOME. It hit the bumps exactly how I like them - Firm but not harsh. You definitely felt the road in this thing (I only hope my Teins & GR-2s give me the same).
- The short throw shifter was really nice an crisp. Much better to throw around the gears than my "long dong" Maxima 6-sp
- The handling was very responsive and there was almost no body roll.
- The exhaust sounded like heaven. No ricey tin can, just nice and throaty.
- Rear wheel drive - even though I kicked out the back end on wet pavement, it was still nice to have a car that has the drive wheels where they are supposed to be.

The Not-so Good:
- Power. Perhaps it was because we had 3 people in the car, but my Max felt like it pulled much harder than this thing. Again, there was probably an extra 250lbs. but I was really hoping for more.
- Stereo - I didn't even turn it on, but the way it was buried in the dash it would take a master craftsman to get a regular din model to fit. I'm all over replacing stereo equipment so this would really bother me.
- Price - this thing topped the scales at about $35,000...about $9,000 more than I paid for my 2003 Maxima.
- Seemed to lack the little "boost" at 4000 RPMs that I have in my Maxima.

The Summary:
Would I buy this car? No...not unless it had a twin turbo in it and the horse power was above 320. It's a really nice car, but to call it a sports car (if people do) is a stretch. It's small on the inside and handles like a sports car, but the power isn't there. If a twin-turbo was added that might push the price to over $40K in which case I would look toward my future M3 .

When I got back in my Maxima I was not disappointed at all!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:25 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Keep in mind you were driving the demonstator. So that adaptive learning was pulling all the power back from people p-footing on test drives. Its there, you just have to beg for it alittle. Some people are really unhappy about the adaptive stuff. You cant really cruise around then mash it out of the blue.

The infiniti dealer gave me almost 16K for my 2k GLE Max with 45000 miles. I was a fool not to jump on this.. but for perspective, since they padded the trade-in, I was really getting it for $29-30. They wont come off MSRP as per Infiniti, so all the dealing was done on the trade, and they are dealing there..
Old 05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TimW

The infiniti dealer gave me almost 16K for my 2k GLE Max with 45000 miles. I was a fool not to jump on this.. but for perspective, since they padded the trade-in, I was really getting it for $29-30. They wont come off MSRP as per Infiniti, so all the dealing was done on the trade, and they are dealing there..
Lucky you to have the coupe. I want one BAD!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:13 PM

All of these cars put down numbers so similiar it a drivers race in the straight line, G35,02-04 Maxima and 02-03 Altima.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:01 PM

Keep in mind you were driving the demonstator. So that adaptive learning was pulling all the power back from people p-footing on test drives. Its there, you just have to beg for it alittle. Some people are really unhappy about the adaptive stuff. You cant really cruise around then mash it out of the blue.

Actually, it was my g/f's brother's car. It has low miles and he offered me to drive it so I took him up. I guess the basic thing that I didn't like was it did not blow me away with the power....I really need power for that much money. Other than that (and above stated) it was a very nice car.

Cool deal on your trade in value I often think about trading my Max up, but I've throw so much work into it (stereo, tint, and soon suspension) that it would be a waste. The car I really want is an M3 but at $900/month I'm gonna have a hard time convincing myself it's worth it. The freqency of which I drive would break it down to about $200 a ride!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:10 PM

The G35 is a nice ride. It all depends on the buyers liking.

But one thing i hate about the g35 sedan/coupe..is the Vdc control..You cant lay any rubber!!!! or drift!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:29 PM

heh, dont let that guy doing donuts in that video know that!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by wantasupra3
The G35 is a nice ride. It all depends on the buyers liking.

But one thing i hate about the g35 sedan/coupe..is the Vdc control..You cant lay any rubber!!!! or drift!!!
There was a switch to disable it.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 PM

heh, dont let that guy doing donuts in that video know that!
Thats a great video. Good thing its not my car. Im expecting myg35 coupe monday or tuesday. As for the power issue, I found it had more than my stock 2k2 but not overwhelming amounts. I bought this car mostly for the looks handling and braking. I guess thats 75% of whats is expected out of a vehicle. The other nice thing about the g is the huge amount of mods ported over from the 350z and of course the rwd and the posibilities of deeeeeep 4 inch dish rims on the back and the seats and.....hmm now im rambling I ll post some pix when i get her. I may not be here on the org as much but Ive had a 99 a 2k1ae and 2k2 so Ill always be dropping in from time to time. See you in the twisties. Freeze.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by freeze2k2

Thats a great video. Good thing its not my car. Im expecting myg35 coupe monday or tuesday. As for the power issue, I found it had more than my stock 2k2 but not overwhelming amounts. I bought this car mostly for the looks handling and braking. I guess thats 75% of whats is expected out of a vehicle. The other nice thing about the g is the huge amount of mods ported over from the 350z and of course the rwd and the posibilities of deeeeeep 4 inch dish rims on the back and the seats and.....hmm now im rambling I ll post some pix when i get her. I may not be here on the org as much but Ive had a 99 a 2k1ae and 2k2 so Ill always be dropping in from time to time. See you in the twisties. Freeze.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y
Old 05-27-2003, 09:01 PM

Sorry for all the posts after all these years here you would think i would know how to post pix. by the way this white g35c is riding on iforged 20's ( wish they were mine)
Old 05-27-2003, 10:09 PM

Re: Drove a G35 Coupe this weekend...

Originally posted by spta97
- Power. Perhaps it was because we had 3 people in the car, but my Max felt like it pulled much harder than this thing. Again, there was probably an extra 250lbs. but I was really hoping for more.
[/B]
Perhaps the G35's throttle is very linear? Supposedly the 350Z intentionally has a very linear throttle. I had heard a few comments on the my350z.com about the Z feeling "slow" or "weak".

To me, my 2K2 Max's throttle is very non-linear. It feels like a little press of the pedal gives you a lot of gas, and if you go maybe (guessing) 3/4ths of the way down, you're pretty much at WOT. Flooring the Max doesn't seem to help much.

Any Max owners who also have a 350Z or G35 wanna comment on this?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:17 PM

ha, I went from a 2K for the G35C, its a monster to me..
Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 PM

Re: Re: Drove a G35 Coupe this weekend...

Originally posted by cwerdna

Perhaps the G35's throttle is very linear? Supposedly the 350Z intentionally has a very linear throttle. I had heard a few comments on the my350z.com about the Z feeling "slow" or "weak".

To me, my 2K2 Max's throttle is very non-linear. It feels like a little press of the pedal gives you a lot of gas, and if you go maybe (guessing) 3/4ths of the way down, you're pretty much at WOT. Flooring the Max doesn't seem to help much.

Any Max owners who also have a 350Z or G35 wanna comment on this?
Yes the 350 is a bit more linear than the Max, but the Max is very linear to other cars I have driven recently. Yes it takes more touch of the gas in the Z to get the same results( it feels that way and it really is true to an extent) as the Max to me and I drive them both on a daily basis. The z is the same as the Max giving it 3/4 to 7/8 gas results in pretty much WOT as well.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:00 AM
SoloMaxima

that's a good deal...i got a 2k1 SE with 32000 miles and only got offered under 15K....i'm gonna sell my max privately....
i should be getting my G35c in july...hopefully
which coupe did you get..??