5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose Sub swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bose Sub swap

I swapped Bose stock sub with Kicker CompVR 8" sub and Rockford Fosgate Punch 200m mono amp. My major concern was the truck space, therefore I could not get a box. This sub and amp are not too expensive ($250 for Sub, amp, PAC adapter and wiring) and I would recommend to everyone with Bose looking for better bass and still need trunk space. Sub fits perfectly in factory brackets. I mounted amp behind rear seat using 1" sheep metal screws. PAC adapter is a simple plug and play. I also put some foam under rear deck. there are 3 seat belt assemblies mounted on the rear deck they are enclosed in white plastic boxes. This boxes buzz like a ... I took small pieces of foam and staffed them in the boxes. no more buzzing.
It took me couple of hours and I have never done any audio installation before.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:27 AM
swallac2

I did generally the same thing, but used a Rockford 8" in a sealed enclosure mounted to the rear deck. It doesn't hang down that low and I am thinking of making a new box that would be even shorter. I also bought the 200m amp and I'm really impressed with it. Instead of using the PAC converter though I tapped the speaker leads that come from the head unit, just before they connect into the BOSE amp in the rear. I also grabbed my 12v switched source from there too. The only thing I ran from the front was 8 guage wire. I do need to work on the rear deck though, good lord. It's not bad when it hits, but for long bass it rattles like a ****. Over all it's so much better than the Bose. I always noticed with the Bose that the bass would come and go depending on the volume setting. Now it's much more linear.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:10 AM

My Bose subwoofer (2K3) is unimpressive, at best.

I can't believe it has its own amp. Without going to fancy boxes and replacing the amp, is there a plug-in speaker that will work with the Bose, and fit in the hole perfectly??

Thanks

Vic
Old 06-09-2003, 10:14 AM

I went with the Infinity Basslink. It sounds great and I got it new on e-by for less than $200 to the door. It has a built in amp and is 10". It also has a remote that you can control the bass with in the car. I removed my BOSE sub and use the space as a port.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:17 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by jmh8
I went with the Infinity Basslink. It sounds great and I got it new on e-by for less than $200 to the door. It has a built in amp and is 10". It also has a remote that you can control the bass with in the car. I removed my BOSE sub and use the space as a port.
and i have not been happier!

Old 06-09-2003, 10:39 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by CVicVogel
My Bose subwoofer (2K3) is unimpressive, at best.

I can't believe it has its own amp. Without going to fancy boxes and replacing the amp, is there a plug-in speaker that will work with the Bose, and fit in the hole perfectly??

Thanks

Vic
Vic,

The thing that I did is far from fancy. But to answer your question, no there isn't a direct replacement. Infact part of the problem is that the subwoofer's signal passes though the regular Bose amp and is "equalized" before it is passed to the amp on the sub itself. You need to remove the Bose "signal" from the equation as well as their "sub." The longest part for me was building the box. You can do it like NikaL did and it should only take like 2hrs to run the wires and do it the right way. With that setup though you still retain part of the initial problem, the fact that a free air sub will never sound as tight or hit as hard as a sealed or ported.

It took me about 1 day to build the box (carpet, etc) since my carpentry skills apparently stink. Running the power wire was easy with no permanent holes/damage done to the car.