5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CAR SEAT in leather equipped Maxima ( & Pathfinder)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:11 AM
vqman

CAR SEAT in leather equipped Maxima ( & Pathfinder)

The wife and I are about to have a baby boy, and we need to put car seats in the 2k3 Maxima and 2k1 Pathfinder.

Both cars have leather, and I imagine that when pressing the car seat down tight, it will leave indentations on the leather.

Does anyone know what I can put between the car seat and the leather to keep this from getting to bad? Is there anything on the market especially made for this?

thanks for the help

-vq

Old 06-29-2003, 12:08 PM
vqman

do any of you homo's reproduce?

anyone have any kids?

-vq

Old 06-29-2003, 12:15 PM

When I had to drive my nephew around I put down a black towel on the seat.
It looked good, and I wasn't so paranoid about the mess.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:01 PM

My wife is about to have a baby too. We registered for one of the car seat protector pads at babies r us. It seats on the seat and seat back under the car seat to help protect it. Not sure how well it will work but it should provide some protection.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:41 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by VQMAN
isn't that like scientifically impossible?
Old 06-29-2003, 06:37 PM

I used a large, black checkered bath towel (frost leather). I used it under, behind. and on top where the tether strap hooks onto the rear deck. I haven't removed the seat in a year or more, but I doubt there's any marks on the seats.

ARFF
Old 06-29-2003, 06:43 PM

I use a large terry towel too but it still indents the leather. I may have to double up but then she would be riding in a Maxima with a lift kit car seat.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:39 PM
vqman

Originally posted by PoLo

isn't that like scientifically impossible?
yes, that was kinda the point...

if no one here was reproducing, they must be homos...

but I don't mean any malice, just trying to get attention about my post.

thanks for all the replys everyone, we found one in a catalog called "One Step Ahead" but it doesn't look like it goes up high, so I might also use some towels...

thanks.

-vq

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
-Jerry Seinfeld on gays

Old 06-29-2003, 07:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

Make sure you get something made to protect... I recommend NOT using a towel. My wife's car (volvo cross-country, SWEET! leather) has a permanent stain from some kind of juice because we used a towel and the 4-year-old spilled it. I know it's not an issue with a baby, but we never thought twice about it, until the juice incident.

The protector should have some kind of waterproof coating.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:51 PM
vqman

yeah, the one we found in the "One Step Ahead" catalog uses a water proof material...I think the towels will just be for the higher areas where the seat backs touch, the bottom will be of the waterproof material.

good thing for me though is that BOTH of our cars have charcoal leather, so stains shouldn't be a problem.

thanks

-vq

Old 06-29-2003, 09:08 PM
rilla dope

anyone have any kids?

-vq
You waited an hour then left this message? Get a life, internet or not, we don't live to provide you with feedback. It's comments such as these that make me wonder if it's a good thing that your line is continuing on....

Hehe, I'm not real serious, but chill none the less
Old 06-30-2003, 04:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They have specific mats (looks like a rubber floor mat) at those giant freakin baby stores. I've been using one for a while and it's worked great. I don't know how a towel could work? Those baby seats get pushed down pretty hard. When I used a thick towel in my other car it left permanent dents. You could put a towel under the these mats for extra protection but I wouldn't use a towel alone.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:05 AM

Try getting some of those large, gray interlocking mats from Homo Depot, Lowe's etc. They are about 2' square, 1/2" thick, and come 4 to a pack. You can cut them to any shape so you don't have this big, freakin' mat hanging out from under the seat base/back. Been using them in all my cars since the kids were born and have no indentations at all.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:44 AM
jjs

anyone have any kids?

-vq
Woah dude, chill. Some of us just don't feel the need to reproduce like rodents, we just like the activity!!

That having been clarified, try nearest the leather putting a blanket or something similar, then over that something more firm like doubled or tripled cardboard and fold the blanket back over it. This would be your cheapest.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:59 AM

Re: CAR SEAT in leather equipped Maxima ( & Pathfinder)

The wife and I are about to have a baby boy, and we need to put car seats in the 2k3 Maxima and 2k1 Pathfinder.

Both cars have leather, and I imagine that when pressing the car seat down tight, it will leave indentations on the leather.

Does anyone know what I can put between the car seat and the leather to keep this from getting to bad? Is there anything on the market especially made for this?

thanks for the help

-vq
Same here, I just use a towel down on the seat. If the car seat is going to stay there full-time (especially in the heat), make sure whatever you use is thicker than a single towel (i.e. fold it). When the leater gets hot it'll be softer, and easier to mark.

That said, haven't had any problems with a pad.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:50 AM

I use a folded up bath towel under the seat. It works pretty well.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:17 AM

yes, that was kinda the point...

if no one here was reproducing, they must be homos...

but I don't mean any malice, just trying to get attention about my post.

thanks for all the replys everyone, we found one in a catalog called "One Step Ahead" but it doesn't look like it goes up high, so I might also use some towels...

thanks.

-vq

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
-Jerry Seinfeld on gays
Well wouldn't something like "Don't any of you ****** reproduce or all you all homo's" be better.