5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AutoStarter illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 01:02 PM

AutoStarter illegal?

Is it illegal to install an autostarter in a manual car? Thinking about installing a viper alarm for my 2003 SE 6 speed that comes with an autostarter.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:07 PM
NT2SHBBY

yes....reason being: let's say you leave ur car in first gear when its off (like most ppl do) and u forget ur parking brake, what's to stop the car from rolling forward....

My friend ghetto rigged an autostart in his 5spd Conquest and left the car at the gas station for an oil change...needless to say, they forgot he had autostart, forgot he had a manual and forgot to put on the e-brake..

car rolled into a poll and whole bumper was ruined.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:14 PM

call me crazy, but isn't it impossible to use an autostarter on a manual? how do you press in the clutch to start the car?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
yes....reason being: let's say you leave ur car in first gear when its off (like most ppl do) and u forget ur parking brake, what's to stop the car from rolling forward....

My friend ghetto rigged an autostart in his 5spd Conquest and left the car at the gas station for an oil change...needless to say, they forgot he had autostart, forgot he had a manual and forgot to put on the e-brake..

car rolled into a poll and whole bumper was ruined.
That would be stupidity on the people at the gas station As far as I know they are not illegal. We've installed a number of autostart alarms on manual vehicles here at the shop.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

where i work we sell viper and automate. We will NOT install an autostarter in a MT . Exactly for the reasons given by nt2shbby. Our installer wont even install in a kid that works with us, in his celica gts!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jrklar
call me crazy, but isn't it impossible to use an autostarter on a manual? how do you press in the clutch to start the car?
All you need to do is bypass the clutch sensor.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:22 PM
NT2SHBBY

Y2KSE- maybe in AZ, but in NY/NJ they are *highly* illegal and frowned upon by installers

Old 06-30-2003, 01:30 PM
scopium

dont they got them on the honda s2000 and the mr2

Old 06-30-2003, 01:31 PM

Maybe they are illegal in some states, and not in others. The reason most installers wont install them is exactly what nt2shabby stated. As it wouldn't be illegal, it would be highly dangerous and thats why most people wont install them on a MT. Think if you started it and it rolled over a kid Your screwed bro, and it rolled into another car and so on
Old 06-30-2003, 01:32 PM

I have one in my max 01 and the auto start has a kill switch that you can rig so that if you leave it in gear it wont start. the only thing that you need to always remember is to pull the parking brake up everytime you park your car. I did that out of habit even before i got the autostart
Old 06-30-2003, 01:33 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

All you need to do is bypass the clutch sensor.
go under dash. press pedal, when you press it, it pushes a button. look closer, all that button does is make contact of 2 wires. cut both wires and permanently tap them together. no more pressing clutch.

Disclaimer: i left it in gear and messed up my bumper, i'm not the smartest of them out there. so watch what you do.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
Y2KSE- maybe in AZ, but in NY/NJ they are *highly* illegal and frowned upon by installers

"highly illegal" and "frowned upon by installers" are two COMPETELY different statements. I know that they sell starts designed for manuals that require you perform a little ritual everytime you get out of the car so that the starter KNOWS that your car is in neutral... I doubt they'd be able to sell those if it was illegal. Although it could be a state-by-state thing.

Besides, there's been threads about how to wire your starter so that it won't start if it's in gear. There's some built-in sensor that tells when the stick is in neutral.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:39 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by FrankTheBunny

"highly illegal" and "frowned upon by installers" are two COMPETELY different statements. I know that they sell starts designed for manuals that require you perform a little ritual everytime you get out of the car so that the starter KNOWS that your car is in neutral... I doubt they'd be able to sell those if it was illegal. Although it could be a state-by-state thing.

Besides, there's been threads about how to wire your starter so that it won't start if it's in gear. There's some built-in sensor that tells when the stick is in neutral.
pin 44 (or 34?) of the ecu reads 0 volts when in neutral and -5 volts when in any other gear. figure out the relay schematic and tap it into the neutral safety switch on the alarm, and that should do it. then again, easier said than done.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:46 PM

In MA I don't think it's illegal but it def. is a safety issue anywhere. I have friends that want me to install a starter in their manuals but I won't do it cuz I'll feel guilty if something happens.
I have one on my 2002 manual and all you do is bypass the clutch sensor w/a switch. Oh, don't forget to bypass the anti-theft chip module on our cars. You can get a bypass module off the web for like $30. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:50 PM

Barring the customizing for a manual... how hard is it to put a start in by yourself? I've seen 'em in the store with "installation video included" so it must be possible...

I'm thinking I might want to put one in my 6spd before the winter rolls around, and I'm assuming I'd have to do it myself. I know figuring out the Pin 44 thing is going to be tricky... but I'm curious as to how hard the basic install will be.

Has anyone here put their own in??
Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 PM

They are a big old pain in the A$$. I had a pretty hard time with mine a I was getting help. It is just so damn time consuming. And you want to triple check your wires so you don't fry anything(i.e. your ecu)