5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Went to the police station today... (sort of long?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 01:52 PM

Well after getting pulled over with the warning a few days ago about my headlights, I changed them and went to the police station today. I talked to the guy for a while and he was saying that because they didn't come standard on the vehicle, they may not meet the legal standards for headlight output and type. He made it sound that if someone did anything to their car that wasn't factory, then they could be pulled over for it. So I asked if lowering one's car is considered illegal... he said that basically lowering a car, could potentially scrape on the ground which would make it illegal. This all seems like BS because that would mean that if we did anything to our cars, it could be deemed illegal. But it doesn't seem that either something is legal or illegal... it seems like everything is questionable. UGH. ok sorry I'm done venting now.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's a big load of poo-poo. By their defination:
1) If you change tires to other than stock brand/size = illegal.
2) If you go to Midas and get a new muffler = illegal
3) If you to to Midas and get new shocks = illegal.
etc, etc.. etc...

But that doesn't excuse you from knowing the law and how it pertains to your vechicle.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
That's a big load of poo-poo. By their defination:
1) If you change tires to other than stock brand/size = illegal.
2) If you go to Midas and get a new muffler = illegal
3) If you to to Midas and get new shocks = illegal.
etc, etc.. etc...

But that doesn't excuse you from knowing the law and how it pertains to your vechicle.

good point.. very nicely said

my friend got pulled over for the washer lights once, and the officer told him it's illegal to have his foglights on when it's not foggy out!! we were like WHAT!

i think they make a lot of things up assuming that you won't go out and check for yourself..
Old 06-27-2001, 02:34 PM

wow that sucks about the foglights... are the washerlights illegal at all?

BTW, where could I actually go to find out what's illegal or not? The cop I talked to at the station gave me a HUGE run around and didn't know where I could get one. Thanks
Old 06-27-2001, 02:40 PM

What are washer lights and where do you get them?
Old 06-27-2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by TrexMax
What are washer lights and where do you get them?
They're little light bulbs that replace the washer fluid dispensers on the hood.. you can get them at any local car shop, and I'm sure you could find them at www.autodynamic.com.. i didn't check there, so don't hold me to it

my friend put blue ones on his '98 Jetta GLX, but now they have all different once, including Altezza-like ones..

I dunno if i would put them on my car, but to each his own..
Old 06-27-2001, 03:13 PM
JET Speed Lab

still thinking about the washer lights, i wanted hyper white ones to match my head lights but wasnt sure how bright they actually were. on the subject of whats legal and not, basically you cant have any blue lights inside or out that are noticable to other drivers.. something like they are reserved for emergency vechiles...and red lights in the front.. any other color including white shouldnt be illegal. so if a cop tells you its illegal, just act like you didnt know even tho you know its not illegal. if you make him feel like a bunghole, he'll write you up a ticket
Old 06-27-2001, 03:20 PM

hey Jeff2k1GLE...

How much HP does that chick on your bumper give you? Maybe I'll get a maybe I'll get a few of those so I can compete with the S/C'd guys and 1/1000 of the cost... mmmuuu-ah haha
Old 06-27-2001, 03:20 PM

how do you was your windshield if you're replacing the washers? Do they turn on with the wipers?
Old 06-27-2001, 03:24 PM

Re: hey Jeff2k1GLE...

Originally posted by Keh mon
How much HP does that chick on your bumper give you? Maybe I'll get a maybe I'll get a few of those so I can compete with the S/C'd guys and 1/1000 of the cost... mmmuuu-ah haha

well there's 2, one on each side of the bumper

they add 5-7 HP per sticker

you get the maximum amount of HP when you combine these with the maxima.org stickers, however
Old 06-27-2001, 04:37 PM

The police often don't know what they are talking about specifically with all the laws that are out there. However, most people won't put up an argument with them because they are cops. That's why we need to aware of our own respective vehicle codes as drivers. Just my $.02.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
The police often don't know what they are talking about specifically with all the laws that are out there. However, most people won't put up an argument with them because they are cops. That's why we need to aware of our own respective vehicle codes as drivers. Just my $.02.
A very famous one, when we changed our exhaust to aftermarket ones, it will amplify the exhaust noise, Do we actually Modify it or we Replace it with a new one? My friends got a lot of tickets from Modified exhaust but, according to the dictionary, they did not modify it, they replaced the whole thing with the new one, so therefore it's not illegal according to vehicle code in the state!

Anyway, blue color lightbulbs means you are asking for troubles tho. One thing for sure that anything emitts a Blue color is illegal in any state.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:41 PM

Yah the funny thing is no one knows what is legal or illegal I mean saying whatever is not STOCK is illegal is in fact and I quote "Poo-Poo". I mean look the VW's come with clear white blinkers with amber bulbs, but hey thats illegal where I come from, WTF! I mean the funny part is that no one in COnnecticut at least cares or wants to about whats legal or not, I mean I called the DMV to check some stuff and no one knew jack!!! So I think it would be benefical to make a handbook of this stuff ::hint::hint:: lol,

Damn tires too bald....ticket....New Tires (not stock cause there new) also ticket cause there not stock HAHAHA BULL $HIT I SAY!!!!!!!!! THE PO-PO's SUCK