5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Funny serial number problem..any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Maxima Pilot

Funny serial number problem..any ideas??

Four weeks ago Farmers (my insurance co) mailed me a letter saying that somehow they could not 'match' my car's serial number to any Nissan product so could I please double-check the SN and correct it if it was wrong.

I did, sure enough they had it wrong, I corrected it, mailed them the right SN and yesterday I received a letter from them saying that they had reclassified my car from a Maxima SE (which is UNDOUBTEDLY what it is) to Maxima GXE.

Shocked at this, I again triple-checked the SN now on the Farmers letter to me and it is inded correct...any ideas why they would think my car is a GXE?

Old 07-02-2003, 07:53 AM
jjs

Re: Funny serial number problem..any ideas??

Originally posted by Galo
Four weeks ago Farmers (my insurance co) mailed me a letter saying that somehow they could not 'match' my car's serial number to any Nissan product so could I please double-check the SN and correct it if it was wrong.

I did, sure enough they had it wrong, I corrected it, mailed them the right SN and yesterday I received a letter from them saying that they had reclassified my car from a Maxima SE (which is UNDOUBTEDLY what it is) to Maxima GXE.

Shocked at this, I again triple-checked the SN now on the Farmers letter to me and it is inded correct...any ideas why they would think my car is a GXE?

This is not uncommon. There have been several threads about this over time.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:53 AM
It's chrome alright...

insurance is the same on SE/GXE/GLE... there are a few threads around here about insurance companies getting the wrong label and it doesn't matter, so you can ignore it or ask them to change it, but don't be surprised if they say "that's how it came up in the computer and we can't change it."
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

No idea why the mix-up....unless they messed it up at the factory? Any chance your car was 're-badged' at some point?

The rate for a GXE might be cheaper than for an SE, so you'd save some $$$.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Maxima Pilot

Blues...no chance it's a rebadge..it had

the SE wheels, springs & shocks, it has the Meridian package, the white gauges and it's a stick -and I dont believe you could get stick GXEs, can you?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:11 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

It was just a thought....glad is not been altered. Looks like you'll not get a break on insurance, either. Oh, well...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:25 AM

Re: Blues...no chance it's a rebadge..it had

the SE wheels, springs & shocks, it has the Meridian package, the white gauges and it's a stick -and I dont believe you could get stick GXEs, can you?
just for the record, im pretty sure GXEs have always had the choice of a manual transmission until 2002.

but i think that it is just a mess up in the computer. i wouldnt doubt that your car is in deed an SE.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:17 AM
lcf

Re: Blues...no chance it's a rebadge..it had

Before the 2002s, more manual tranny GXEs were produced than any other trim!

Sigh, that's why I'm driving an SE automatic.

And yes I've seen a 5-speed GLE before... but I dunno if it was rebadged or not. It ahd leather seats and non-white guages... no spoiler either. It was a 4th gen.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:11 AM

Galo
I'm sure that you've decoded your serial number so disregard if you have. Position 5-6 are model/series. Mine is A3 and its an SE/AE, but there is also an A2 model listed. I don't know what a model A2 Maxima is. This probably doesn't help, but was just an observation. OT - we should get together again. I'd like to see your new brakes and tires.
Gail
Old 07-02-2003, 11:29 AM

Re: Funny serial number problem..any ideas??

With your VIN, I can tell you everything but your grandmother's maiden name!