5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To You Guys With The Sunroof Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM

To You Guys With The Sunroof Problem...

Disconect your battery, step on the brakes. Reconnect your battery. Hit the "flip up button" on your sunroof.

Problem solved.

My dealer wanted $300.00 to fix mine. Basically, just hit ctrl-alt-del.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:35 PM

Re: To You Guys With The Sunroof Problem...

Originally posted by jjames
Disconect your battery, step on the brakes. Reconnect your battery. Hit the "flip up button" on your sunroof.

Problem solved.

What was the original problem?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:39 AM

nobody really knows. it's kimd of like when you get the bsod, (blue screen of death) in windows. you don't really konw why, but you just reboot.,
Old 07-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There seems to be a couple of these "ctrl-alt-del" sequences. This is the newest one I've seen
The other one was pulling some relay near the kick panel (which I don't know how to identify... do you have to remove the lower dash panel to get to it??)
I tried pulling the harness connector from the sunroof motor last night, but I wasn't too eager to remove the ceiling trim to get to it...
Old 07-11-2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by spirilis
There seems to be a couple of these "ctrl-alt-del" sequences. This is the newest one I've seen
The other one was pulling some relay near the kick panel (which I don't know how to identify... do you have to remove the lower dash panel to get to it??)
I tried pulling the harness connector from the sunroof motor last night, but I wasn't too eager to remove the ceiling trim to get to it...
This is a previous post from my Palm Pilot archives

*********2003 Nissan Maxima - Sunroof Reset Procedure********

It's in your owners Manuel. Here is the procedure:

The sliding switch will become inoperable after the battery terminal is disconnected, the electrical supply interrupted and/or some abnormality detected. Use the following re-set procedure to return sunroof operation to normal.

1. If the sunroof lid is open, push the tilting switch repeatedly toward tilt DOWN to fully close the lid.

2. After the lid has closed all the way, keep pushing the tilting switch toward tilt DOWN for more than 1 second.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:04 AM

This is good info but not the issue that I was having with my sunroof.

The dealer ordered and replaced the rails because my sunroof was stalling when you tried to open it - sounded like it had a bad motor. It works fine now....only the first time I opened it, I noticed a LOUD rumbling sound. The reason for that is because either they did not install or won't install that little air dam that flips up when you open the sunroof. Why would they replace that???
Old 07-11-2003, 06:32 AM

I have a 2000 model. I'll have to see if my owner's manual has any info on that. I'm pretty damn sure I tried that procedure, although I might have held the tilt control in the wrong direction.

If neither of these procedures help I'll pull apart the tilt switch (which I didn't open up last night) and make sure there's no shorts in there, else give up and take it to the dealer.

I found off AlldataDIY that supposedly if the computer's interrupted in any way, it fails over to a mode where the sunroof switch operates the motor as opposed to the CPU, and it moves 150mm (5in) at a time. That 5in sounds a little off (more like 3in) but this sure sounds like the "mode" by which it operates right now.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spirilis
I have a 2000 model. I'll have to see if my owner's manual has any info on that. I'm pretty damn sure I tried that procedure, although I might have held the tilt control in the wrong direction.[/quoute]

No, the 2000 model does NOT have this procedure.

If neither of these procedures help I'll pull apart the tilt switch (which I didn't open up last night) and make sure there's no shorts in there, else give up and take it to the dealer.
*** Don't bother. Trust me, follow the procedure I posted.

I found off AlldataDIY that supposedly if the computer's interrupted in any way, it fails over to a mode where the sunroof switch operates the motor as opposed to the CPU, and it moves 150mm (5in) at a time. That 5in sounds a little off (more like 3in) but this sure sounds like the "mode" by which it operates right now.
*** That is the EXACT same thing mine did. Do you have any idea hgow many $300 motors Nissan has replaced when all you need to do is disconnect the battery and step in the brakes a few times? DO IT!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:51 PM

Heh, it'd be awesome if someone could take apart the motor, disassemble the ROM for its CPU and flash a new ROM for it with fixed firmware
Probably too much effort for a stinkin' sunroof motor though...

But on a more serious question, what does disconnecting the battery & stepping on the brakes do? I'd imagine stepping on the brakes ensures all capacitors in devices connected to the electrical system are drained (so it's guaranteed the sunroof motor has lost all power, since the brake lights will discharge any residual power). So the point here is to cut power to the sunroof so it resets, right?
I wonder if I could pull down the ceiling upholstery, splice the power supply wire to the sunroof motor (I have the circuit diagram off AlldataDIY with wire colors), and install a toggle switch so I can reset it anytime
Old 07-11-2003, 01:45 PM

But on a more serious question, what does disconnecting the battery & stepping on the brakes do? I'd imagine stepping on the brakes ensures all capacitors in devices connected to the electrical system are drained (so it's guaranteed the sunroof motor has lost all power, since the brake lights will discharge any residual power)
*** You got it.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:24 PM

jjames, THANK YOU very much. I just got home and tried this--it worked perfectly.

Disconnected the negative battery cable, applied the brake pedal for a minute (probably longer than necessary), reconnected it. Sunroof's left (slide/auto slide) switch didn't work, so I hit the TILT OPEN button and held it for 5 seconds, then closed it via the TILT CLOSE button and tried the other switch--works perfectly. It's very nice being able to open/close the sunroof with one press of the switch now
Old 07-12-2003, 09:38 AM

WOOOHOOO!!!!!! It's your birthday, it's your birthday.
yeah, that 3" at a time thing gets a little old, huh?

Originally posted by spirilis
jjames, THANK YOU very much. I just got home and tried this--it worked perfectly.

Disconnected the negative battery cable, applied the brake pedal for a minute (probably longer than necessary), reconnected it. Sunroof's left (slide/auto slide) switch didn't work, so I hit the TILT OPEN button and held it for 5 seconds, then closed it via the TILT CLOSE button and tried the other switch--works perfectly. It's very nice being able to open/close the sunroof with one press of the switch now
Old 07-13-2003, 01:19 AM

Re: To You Guys With The Sunroof Problem...

Originally posted by jjames

Problem solved.

interesting. I "fixed" mine differently:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=144694