5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed RSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just installed RSB

Hey

I just install my RSB and can not believe the handling difference. WOW, the first thing anyone should do to a Maxima is install one of these.

Just a question, why does everyone say RSB when it's an anti-sway bar?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear Sway Bar
Old 08-07-2003, 10:08 AM

I got that, but it's a Rear Anti Sway Bar right...?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by EJH Y2K SE
I got that, but it's a Rear Anti Sway Bar right...?
Yep!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:27 PM

are there any negatives when putting on a rsb regarding traction or handling?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:31 PM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by slickrick
are there any negatives when putting on a rsb regarding traction or handling?
Are you kidding me?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY

Are you kidding me?

true. there are zero negatives accept in your wallet
money very well spent
Old 08-07-2003, 01:50 PM
LithiuMax

When your back end hits a rather large bump, it may actually hop moreso than it ever did without it. This is due to the fact that you are taking away some of the independence in your rear axle.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by davidme

true. there are zero negatives accept in your wallet
money very well spent
well i heard the rear end hops out easier and with less warning. just wanted to see if that was true or not. so i thought there could be less warning in the traction dept. thats all.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by LithiuMax
When your back end hits a rather large bump, it may actually hop moreso than it ever did without it. This is due to the fact that you are taking away some of the independence in your rear axle.
thank you. i must have been posting when you wrote this. so next time dont be a smart *** when you know nothing MAKSYMALNY.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:57 PM

I've never hit a "rather large bump" on a turn.
nor have a I ever hit one at any higher speeds while going straight.
so I guess it could happen but then again have you ever driven a high HP RWD car. the backend slides out all the time. I assume it would be a bit of the same. but then again I've been known to be wrong at least once a day, just part of the learning process i guess
Old 08-07-2003, 01:58 PM
MAKSYMALNY

slickrick... wow, aren't we touchy.

I don't know anything... hmmm, I've had a Stillen RSB on my Max for, oh, about 4 months now.

Sounds to me, with the question, like YOU are the one who doesn't know. Did you do a search on the topic first? There have been hundreds of postings about RSBs and the benefits.

so STFU.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
slickrick... wow, aren't we touchy.

I don't know anything... hmmm, I've had a Stillen RSB on my Max for, oh, about 4 months now.

Sounds to me, with the question, like YOU are the one who doesn't know. Did you do a search on the topic first? There have been hundreds of postings about RSBs and the benefits.

so STFU.
i have heard of the hop problem before but i wanted to reassure myself i heard right thats all. im well aware of the benefits but as to anything good, there is a bad.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

I've hit large bumps and road imperfections while on a turn and yes, the back will jump around - so better be prepared for it.

There's this turn i take everyday and i always slow down on that strip. The first 2-3 times i went at it at highway speeds i almost lost control of the back.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
MAKSYMALNY

I haven't experienced any hop.

when you drive a Max without an RSB/FSTB combo, then drive one with an RSB/FSTB combo, you will notice a TREMENDOUS handling difference.

-

Old 08-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Wild at Hurt

Because both rear wheels are more linked. Hitting a bump with one rear wheel causes the other to respond also. So the wheel that does not have the bump could be loosing contact with the pavement.

Because of product liability most (especially FWD) cars understeer like pigs. I agree that the RSB is probably the best mod. However you don't want to be napping if the rear end comes around on you.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am really interested in this. I intently dislike the ride in my 2000 GLE, but do not want to install a RSB if it will cause the car to be unsafe, particulary if my wife is driving it. I don't think I can teach her how to respond to a sliding rear end. I have read that this occurs at the "outer limits"? What exactly is that. I have broken rear ends loose before, but I had it coming those times. How serious is this? Is anyone aware of any source of industry comment on it. It seems if it was so straighforward, Nissan would just put one on? Do the SE's have RSBs?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM

No 5th Gen Maxima has an RSB installed at the factory. Manufacturers generally prefer their cars to understeer.

I've had my RSB on since March, and I have to agree it's the single best mod I've made to the car.

I can vouch for the rear-end hop, though. The RSB essentially is tying the two sides of the car together, which can exaggerate the limitations of a solid rear axle. My '85 Civic had the same tendencies.

This will only be a problem if the car is driven very hard. Imagine a 30mph off-ramp that you're taking at 55-60 mph - the car is leaning hard, tires are near their traction limits, and the RSB is fighting against the body roll. Now, picture hitting a couple of frost heaves or potholes with the outside tires. The rear suspension will bounce (it doesn't take much), causing both the inside AND outside rear tires to hop just a bit. Usually when this happens, the rear will come out in a hurry. If you know it's coming, it can be useful - just punch the throttle and let the car over-steer through the rest of the turn. If you don't know it's coming, though, hang on and be prepared to change your shorts
Old 09-15-2003, 08:44 PM

SE's don't come with RSBs.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
SE's don't come with RSBs.
Actually there is a stock RSB it is inside the rear beam. You can see it if you look under the beam.

I used to have RSB on my 2000 SE 5-speed and when I first installed it I really thought I felt the difference. When I took it off before selling the car and drove for about a week and I could not tell the difference without RSB being there. Car handled the same.
As for rear hoping more when hitting some bumps or expansion joints when taking corners, YES it will happen with RSB on and it doesn't feel good either.

On my 2002 SE I decide not to install RSB and sold it and bougth and installed H&Rs instead. Car handes 100 times better than my 2000 SE did with RSB on.
I would not spend money on RSB, I think it is a waste of money, unless you AutoX because that is where you might really see benifits of RSB.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dany
Actually there is a stock RSB it is inside the rear beam. You can see it if you look under the beam.

I used to have RSB on my 2000 SE 5-speed and when I first installed it I really thought I felt the difference. When I took it off before selling the car and drove for about a week and I could not tell the difference without RSB being there. Car handled the same.
As for rear hoping more when hitting some bumps or expansion joints when taking corners, YES it will happen with RSB on and it doesn't feel good either.

On my 2002 SE I decide not to install RSB and sold it and bougth and installed H&Rs instead. Car handes 100 times better than my 2000 SE did with RSB on.
I would not spend money on RSB, I think it is a waste of money, unless you AutoX because that is where you might really see benifits of RSB.
I would have to completely and totally disagree with this post. I had my Maxima for a year before I put on a RSB so I was pretty well "in tune" with how my car handled and once I installed the RSB it was a world of difference. Not only did it reduce body roll and eliminate some of the understeer it allows you to be a little more comfident while zooming through the twisties.

As for the danger of rear hop while cornering, you just have to be a little more intelligent and not take turns like you're in a sports car and if you're not familiar with a piece of road or corner/turn SLOW DOWN,a Maxima is a four door sedan after all. Its been a year since I've put a RSB on an no problems what so ever.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:10 AM

The only way someone could not feel a difference with an RSB is if they drive like my wife or if the RSB was installed wrong to begin with.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Pete
I am really interested in this. I intently dislike the ride in my 2000 GLE, but do not want to install a RSB if it will cause the car to be unsafe, particulary if my wife is driving it. I don't think I can teach her how to respond to a sliding rear end. I have read that this occurs at the "outer limits"? What exactly is that. I have broken rear ends loose before, but I had it coming those times. How serious is this? Is anyone aware of any source of industry comment on it. It seems if it was so straighforward, Nissan would just put one on? Do the SE's have RSBs?

Thank you.
Pete, you're probably better off swapping your shocks/struts, and to another degree the springs.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaDisciple
I would have to completely and totally disagree with this post. I had my Maxima for a year before I put on a RSB so I was pretty well "in tune" with how my car handled and once I installed the RSB it was a world of difference. Not only did it reduce body roll and eliminate some of the understeer it allows you to be a little more comfident while zooming through the twisties.

As for the danger of rear hop while cornering, you just have to be a little more intelligent and not take turns like you're in a sports car and if you're not familiar with a piece of road or corner/turn SLOW DOWN,a Maxima is a four door sedan after all. Its been a year since I've put a RSB on an no problems what so ever.
I have to agree with you 100%! I first installed the front strut tower
brace. That improved the handeling quite a bit. Then, months later,
I installed the $tillin RSB. WOW! What a difference. Now I can
take corners at three time my usual speed. Love that RSB!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:44 AM

Do most of you guys that have the RSB/FSTB combo also have a new spring/strut combo as well?

I am just wondering if it makes just as big of a diference on stock suspension? I am about to install my RSB and FSTB(as soon as it gets here), but I only have stock GLE suspension. I do want to lower the car at some point but its not in my budget right now.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:05 AM

I had done my springs first, so I can't tell you for sure. However, I would think the RSB would have a greater effect on a car with stock springs. The tendency for wheel-hop is probably a bit higher with stock springs and shocks, though.

Regardless, you won't regret putting the RSB on.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
I've hit large bumps and road imperfections while on a turn and yes, the back will jump around - so better be prepared for it.

There's this turn i take everyday and i always slow down on that strip. The first 2-3 times i went at it at highway speeds i almost lost control of the back.
Agree - handling on smooth corners is much better, handling on rough corners is arguably worse. Still a great mod though.

And regarding oversteer, with the RSB adjusted for greater effect, and an FSTB installed, my car still understeers slightly. With the FSTB gone it would probably oversteer.

The RSB is actually not the best handling improvement for a 5th gen though - that would be replacing the )%^$#%$#$^&#!! Potenzas.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MoCoMax
This will only be a problem if the car is driven very hard. Imagine a 30mph off-ramp that you're taking at 55-60 mph - the car is leaning hard, tires are near their traction limits, and the RSB is fighting against the body roll. Now, picture hitting a couple of frost heaves or potholes with the outside tires. The rear suspension will bounce (it doesn't take much), causing both the inside AND outside rear tires to hop just a bit. Usually when this happens, the rear will come out in a hurry. If you know it's coming, it can be useful - just punch the throttle and let the car over-steer through the rest of the turn. If you don't know it's coming, though, hang on and be prepared to change your shorts
FYI, If the tail end of your max kicks out and you floor it, you won't be oversteering through the turn. You still have a FWD car so flooring it will pull the car in the direction you're steering. If you're countersteering it'll straighten it out. If you don't have the reflexes and aren't countersteering then i recommend u put your head between your legs and proceed to kissing your a$5 good bye.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:56 AM

Ahhhh, yes.....but if timed just right, you can keep the tail kicked out, counter-steer the front and still power the car through the corner....essentially inducing a 4-wheel drift.

On the other hand, if you've let the rear get out too far, punching the throttle can force the car to straighten back out.

Like you said, it's all about reflexes, practice, and ***** LOL
Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, thanks for all of the input.

First, I used to have the b*lls, and the reflexes, but who knows anymore-now 39 and a father. In younger days, I specifically recall drifting my RX-7 through an hard curve on an under and on ramp on a wet road toward a retaining wall. It will make your heart jump a little.

Now, I have spent a lot of time reading posts before posting, and I know this has been somewhat of a discussion already, but can anyone compare the Stillen, and I believe Addco RSBs? Any relative merits or issues. I believe the Stillen is adjustable, which may be good if I want to lighten it up a little.

I think my plan will be to do the front strut bar and the RSB, then think about springs and shocks. Have to spread these things out so I have enough slush money so it is not too noticeable to the missus.

To those who replied and otherwise posted, Thanks. I knew about the sway bars, but had never heard of such a thing as the strut tower braces.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:58 AM

The adjustability in the Stillen bar is just for installation purposes, once tighten down they both do the same thing, simply put you can't "lighten" the effect of the Stillen bar.

That's a good plan, go with the bars first and then upgrade your suspension and by then your Max will be handling how you want it to.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the FSTB does produce increased bump steer since it basically ties the two front struts to work in unison and as a result if one front tire hits a bump, pothole, etc. it effects the other tire creating bump steer. That's the only real negative about the FSTB.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by Pete
OK, thanks for all of the input.

First, I used to have the b*lls, and the reflexes, but who knows anymore-now 39 and a father. In younger days, I specifically recall drifting my RX-7 through an hard curve on an under and on ramp on a wet road toward a retaining wall. It will make your heart jump a little.

Now, I have spent a lot of time reading posts before posting, and I know this has been somewhat of a discussion already, but can anyone compare the Stillen, and I believe Addco RSBs? Any relative merits or issues. I believe the Stillen is adjustable, which may be good if I want to lighten it up a little.

I think my plan will be to do the front strut bar and the RSB, then think about springs and shocks. Have to spread these things out so I have enough slush money so it is not too noticeable to the missus.

To those who replied and otherwise posted, Thanks. I knew about the sway bars, but had never heard of such a thing as the strut tower braces.
http://www.stealthtdi.com/SwayBars.html

Read this.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by Ben
Good read!

I do find that I feel the bumps on my rear wheels more than before I had the RSB. However, I think that that bit of roughness is worth it when I can take some turns around my work nearly twice the speed I was able to before. Overall, a cheap and fairly effective mod.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:44 PM

I was exiting a local off ramp that has a point where the road guys joined two slabs of road together so one was more elevated... anyhow I exit that same exit daily and go about 40mph, the lift is right in the center of the exit, keep in mind the exit DOES have a rather sharp turn in for a few 100 ft.. so I love to corner there.. each time I hit the bump my rear end would hop out and I can feel the tires hop and regrip.. with my stock bridgestones they would slip pretty badly... after the RSB was installed I was ready to tackle it to see how bad it would be.. and I slid out a lil bit more than I expected.. heh but if you know your car you could pretty much control it.. now that Im used to it I speed up deliberately just so I can get the rear end to slide out (when no traffic is around of course) and especially in the rain