5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.5 owners---Rejoice...Stillen Headers are out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SR20DEN

The rear manifold is where the problem lies. I removed mine from the top after I removed the intake manifold and the rear cam cover. Even then it was a major PITA. It's probably easier to remove the precat from it first so you can get the heat shield off while the manifold is still on the car. The front manifold is a cake walk once you remove the radiator. This is about the same way Emax removed his (with the precats still on).

No need to remove the cam cover either I bet it made life much easier for you though
Old 08-14-2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by clipse
Y2KevSE,Sent you a PM.
Do you need to run a Apexi AFC,Greddy E-Manage or any aftermarket fuel tuning/control device for the headers??? Will the stock ECU be able to handle the headers???

I can answer this one..

the answer is "no~"....

S-AFC is used when your air/fuel ratio is...say 10:1 and you want to fine tune it to 12:1 to get more horses. You think your maxima will be super-rich after the headers installed?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

I can answer this one..

the answer is "no~"....

S-AFC is used when your air/fuel ratio is...say 10:1 and you want to fine tune it to 12:1 to get more horses. You think your maxima will be super-rich after the headers installed?
Doesn't freeing up the flow on both sides do the opposite, leaner not richer? Meaning the with an intake, headers/Y-pipe and cat-back will lean out the mixture to something above 14:1. Wouldn't you want to bring it back down to the 12-14:1 from a higher ratio to get more horses?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777

Doesn't freeing up the flow on both sides do the opposite, leaner not richer? Meaning the with an intake, headers/Y-pipe and cat-back will lean out the mixture to something above 14:1. Wouldn't you want to bring it back down to the 12-14:1 from a higher ratio to get more horses?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Moderator GT-R

Yes. All else being equal, adding headers and exhaust will cause a lean condition. Why wouldn't the ECU compensate for this?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
Yes. All else being equal, adding headers and exhaust will cause a lean condition. Why wouldn't the ECU compensate for this?
thx, bluemaxx

in addition...on a 11psi SC'ed maxima, you will have a 30whp gain by fine tuning with the S-AFC if you start with a super super rich AFR...less than 10:1 (out of the graph). It could get a bit leaner for more horsies but for safety reason, it stays on 11.5:1 to avoid high EGT. that maxima has a lot of room to tune....will an NA max ever have this much room to tune? what kinda gain are you expecting?I doubt it.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by bluemaxx
It will under closed-loop operation, however once you go WOT or throttle it hard, it will go open loop and the ECU ignors the 02-sensors and adjusts according to MAF readings.

I HIGHLY doubt that a pair of headers is going to cause a dangerously lean condition even though 2K2_6spd(aka Dave) says the 3.5 Altima with HS headers did.

There is NOT going to be *THAT* much airflow increase over a Y-pipe and so far I haven't heard of anybody having problems from a Y-pipe.

I thought Alex was working on OBX for a pair of long-tube headers?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by emax02

I agree installing headers on a max is a PITA, I instaled headers twice on maxima. It took more like 10 hours though
10hrs? Well thats understanable considering you did it w/o a hoist ect... Just for laughs I checked the labor book at work and it actually lists a solid 6hrs R&R for the exhuast manifold for the VQ35 max. That front itself isnt too bad, it was listed for like 2.1 or something for the front, but the rear is nearly 4. I havnt taken a closer look as of yet but the only thing im wondering is how the hell im gonna get the impact gun in there I have a feeling this is gonna be an all day job the 1st time, after that will be smooth sailing but im sure ill figure out a way to do it faster then 6hrs I always do
Old 08-14-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE

10hrs? Well thats understanable considering you did it w/o a hoist ect... Just for laughs I checked the labor book at work and it actually lists a solid 6hrs R&R for the exhuast manifold for the VQ35 max. That front itself isnt too bad, it was listed for like 2.1 or something for the front, but the rear is nearly 4. I havnt taken a closer look as of yet but the only thing im wondering is how the hell im gonna get the impact gun in there I have a feeling this is gonna be an all day job the 1st time, after that will be smooth sailing but im sure ill figure out a way to do it faster then 6hrs I always do

Just remember to wear mechanic gloves. I counted 50 + flesh wounds after doing the job. BTW I used good old fasion socket wrenches to get all the bolts off.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:21 PM

Just remember to wear mechanic gloves. I counted 50 + flesh wounds after doing the job. BTW I used good old fasion socket wrenches to get all the bolts off.
I got a pair but barley ever use them Flesh wounds im used to since I work at a shop, same with burns ect.. Sad to say ive gotten used to it. I have access to all the tools I need from lifts to air to whatever. If you used socket wrenches I can see why you had 50+ flesh wounds, some jobs ive done by the time your done your arms are like raw meat, a bit of an exaggeration but you've been there and done that be4 I just use sockets/wrenches to break loose the tough bolts and just shove the air rachet in to finish it off. Its loud but hell, less painful and alot faster so I shouldnt complain.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:36 AM

any dynos published for these headers yet?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:19 AM

hmm this will fit an i35 right?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

dont mind me, just reading and watching
Old 08-15-2003, 05:24 AM
VQ Wizard

No need to remove the cam cover either I bet it made life much easier for you though
Mine wouldn't have come off otherwise. You must have done the job hardcore.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:23 AM
BiggD23

Probably a dumb question...but I assume this mod will void the warranty immediately right?

Old 08-15-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by BiggD23
Probably a dumb question...but I assume this mod will void the warranty immediately right?
they would on your headers
many Nissan dealerships are authorized Stillen distributers
not would it then make sense to void the warrenty ?
Old 08-15-2003, 07:57 AM

The altima hotshot prototype guy (snolden) installed his headers in about an hour. He's offering to do it for the Altima guys in Phoenix for beer and a meal. Is it possible that the Altima installation is that much easier than ours?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:03 AM

I live in Phoenix !!!!!!1
but i own a maxima :-(
how bout a 12pack and mexican food?
not Taco Bell... the kind with a waitress
Old 08-15-2003, 09:06 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by davidme

they would on your headers
many Nissan dealerships are authorized Stillen distributers
not would it then make sense to void the warrenty ?

Could you try that again in english? It seems like you're first saying they will void the warranty and then you're saying they won't.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:14 AM

heh
they will only void the warranty on the part it replaces ....
In meaning Nissan does not warrenty the stillen header.
My Nissan rep assured me that ANY Stillen part ,provided it is installed by them and/or correctly, it will not void any Nissan warranty.
so if you put on all Stillen parts, Nissan would warranty what is left of the "stock" car
Old 08-15-2003, 09:15 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Just because they are a Stillen distributor doesn't mean that they will warranty the part!

Look at the Nismo products... the "S" products will be covered by warranty (IF the dealer installs them)... the "R" products WILL NOT be covered by warranty... even if the dealer installs them.

Installing headers will INSTANTANEOUSLY void your warranty... unless you plan to remove them to take it to the dealer for service (yeah, right).

Old 08-15-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Technically, the dealer has to be able to prove that the headers directly contributed to the warranty part in question. That is how the law states it. Being able to enforce that law is another thing.

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
Installing headers will INSTANTANEOUSLY void your warranty... unless you plan to remove them to take it to the dealer for service (yeah, right).
Old 08-15-2003, 09:21 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Technically, the dealer has to be able to prove that the headers directly contributed to the warranty part in question. That is how the law states it. Being able to enforce that law is another thing.

Well, I don't see too many winning lawsuits out there.

The dealer doesn't have to cover it, plain and simple. Proving the that headers directly contributed? Well, I'm sure if the problem was with the door, it would be covered. But headers would void the warranty with the engine... and quite possibly the tranny... you forget that they can more easily prove that someone was racing, etc.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:24 AM

ok.... let me state this again
"MY" Nissan Rep. at Pinnacle Nissan In Scottsdale AZ.
Will allow me to istall ANY Stillen Products WITHOUT voiding the warranty.

NISSAN DOES NOT WARRANTY THE PART !!!
STILLEN DOES!
BUT... The rest of the car is still under Nissan's warrenty!

This is what I was told.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Well, I don't see too many winning lawsuits out there.

The dealer doesn't have to cover it, plain and simple. Proving the that headers directly contributed? Well, I'm sure if the problem was with the door, it would be covered. But headers would void the warranty with the engine... and quite possibly the tranny... you forget that they can more easily prove that someone was racing, etc.

No they can not void the engine warrenty as even with a FULL exhaust and intake the engine still runs well withing factory specifications

The 350 has 32 more HP then the MAx on the same Engine
They will be releasing performance parts that are covered by warranty

So I'd say an easy 340-360 HP is well within the design for the engine.

Quite possibly higher!
Old 08-15-2003, 09:28 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Sorry, but Stillen covers the part, yes. Stillen doesn't cover what the part *may* do to your engine/etc.

The way MY Nissan tech/Svc Mgr told me was this... if it goes on and comes off easy, no problem (like an FSTB, RSB, etc)... if it MODIFIES something (like an intake, headers, springs, etc)... then NO WAY.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by davidme
ok.... let me state this again
"MY" Nissan Rep. at Pinnacle Nissan In Scottsdale AZ.
Will allow me to istall ANY Stillen Products WITHOUT voiding the warranty.

NISSAN DOES NOT WARRANTY THE PART !!!
STILLEN DOES!
BUT... The rest of the car is still under Nissan's warrenty!

This is what I was told.
Considering it's ILLEGAL for a dealer to remove ANY emissions device, I'm betting loosing two precats for an "Off Road Only" use part is going to be a gray area. I'm not saying they will not sell it and warranty the car still, but I'm pretty sure they can't risk installing it.

However, I'm VERY happy you told me about Pinnacle Nissan and their view on Stillen parts. I'm going to start driving down there for my warranty work ESPECIALLY once I get the Stillen SC and put down 300+whp and eat trannys/drive axles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

That $1500 extended warranty is looking MUCH more appealing now.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well of course the service guy is going to cover his back and say most things will void the engine warranty. 90% of all dealerships will. Even if it's illegal to do so. Most dealerships will deny clearcut warranty issues if the know the customer is not informed. This is NISSAN we are talking about. Not Lexus

Sorry, but Stillen covers the part, yes. Stillen doesn't cover what the part *may* do to your engine/etc.

The way MY Nissan tech/Svc Mgr told me was this... if it goes on and comes off easy, no problem (like an FSTB, RSB, etc)... if it MODIFIES something (like an intake, headers, springs, etc)... then NO WAY.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:42 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Whatever, seriously.

The techs I know are pretty d@mn cool, they wouldn't steer anyone wrong (they will hook you up and turn your timing forward 2 or 3 degrees). They told me two stories... one was a 5th gen that pulled in for service with a supercharger on it... instantly was voided. The other was a dude that blew 3 MAFs within a short period of time. After the 3rd one, they told him "sorry, no way man... how do we justify it to Nissan?"... they KNEW he had an intake and he was racing. They were cool with the first 2 MAFs, but when the pushed it, they had to step up and get 'formal' about it.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

What does "racing" or an "intake" have to do with blown mafs?? You mean Nissan can say "Look our Maxima has 255hp! It's FAST". But we are going to void the living hell out of the warranty if you actually USE that hp.

Whatever, seriously.

The techs I know are pretty d@mn cool, they wouldn't steer anyone wrong (they will hook you up and turn your timing forward 2 or 3 degrees). They told me two stories... one was a 5th gen that pulled in for service with a supercharger on it... instantly was voided. The other was a dude that blew 3 MAFs within a short period of time. After the 3rd one, they told him "sorry, no way man... how do we justify it to Nissan?"... they KNEW he had an intake and he was racing. They were cool with the first 2 MAFs, but when the pushed it, they had to step up and get 'formal' about it.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:52 AM
wat

Bottom line is that if you are going to put all sorts of crap on your car, give up on the warranty. If you don't have the money to fix your car once you blow it up, then don't blow it up. Bunch of f-in crybabies.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The rear manifold is where the problem lies. I removed mine from the top after I removed the intake manifold and the rear cam cover. Even then it was a major PITA. It's probably easier to remove the precat from it first so you can get the heat shield off while the manifold is still on the car. The front manifold is a cake walk once you remove the radiator. This is about the same way Emax removed his (with the precats still on).
You don't even have to remove the radiator. If you remove the fan assembly, which takes about a minute, you'll have plenty of clearance to remove the front manifold.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:13 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Whatever, seriously.

dood these guys arent lying....i work for a dealer here in virginia (im the truck manager)....the parts only void the waranty on the part they are replacing.....you may think the dealer is honest with you and the guys are cool with you but they are making you look stupid cause for some dumb reason you trust them......the only thing they told you that was right was the s/c on the 5th gem....if we see any signs of forced induction on the car it will void the waranty on the engine.......all other componants are still under waranty....what your saying sounds stupid....your essentialy saying if i lower my car and then my engine blows i voided my waranty on the powertrain.....wrong answer.....ive gone through a trans....a maf....and now axles on my 03 6spd.....and nissan is harder on waranty issues for employees than it is for the customer
Old 08-17-2003, 08:36 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by sleepermax

You don't even have to remove the radiator. If you remove the fan assembly, which takes about a minute, you'll have plenty of clearance to remove the front manifold.
Removing the radator is just as easy and gives you more room to work with.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Removing the radator is just as easy and gives you more room to work with.
Removing the fan assembly literally takes about 60 seconds. You unscrew two bolts, unclip two electrical connectors, that's it. You have to do this before you can remove the radiator anyway. It gives you plenty of room. I've swaped out the front manifold on two different Maximas and it works just fine. There is no need to ALSO remove the radiator and deal with the possible coolant mess, and tranny fluid for autos (unless you prefer to have more clearance).
Old 08-17-2003, 12:11 PM

deng it...15 minits of time wasted....
Old 08-17-2003, 12:24 PM

Altima 3.5L has headers? What they dyno?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:07 AM

Bump. Hehe. For you AZ and surroundiing states 3.5 owners, we will be installing these headers for $320. We will do one per week on Saturdays if the demand is there.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:57 PM

I've got a question for you Steve. On $tillens site they list MSRP at $938.00 and you've got it at 999.00, is that a typo?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:20 PM

When we got prices on the header from our Stillen rep it was at $999.00 which is what we listed it as. That price doesn't matter though, the sale price is what's important.

Quick Reply: 3.5 owners---Rejoice...Stillen Headers are out!