5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:15 PM

I was going 20 over the speed limit in NEW YORK and the Trooper just told me to slow to and let me go!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Forgot one more COOL cop. I was driving through Texas or Oklahoma on my way to Michigan and I passed a white Yukon. As I was passing I noticed the STAR on the door. He pulled up next to me and saw the "AZ official use only" decals on the door and just signaled me to slow down. So, I pulled in behind him and he eventually pulled off on an upcoming exit.

Another cool one.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:06 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Having military plates on my Max, I am given 'courtesy' checks (such as IceY2K1 got in the 'official use only' vehicle) more often than being pulled over.

However, to answer Jeff's question about me being pulled over by the NC sheriff... no way I was going to fight it. I was going 15 over (70 in a 55) and being followed by 4 people... you think a small-town NC judge is going to buy ANY story from a US Marine who was stopped in a corridor where mostly ALL the military travel? No way. I paid the bill and took my lumps.

That's just it... if you are pulled over and you are in the wrong, eat it and deal with it. You KNOW you were speeding, so don't play any different.

I was the 'victim' once... I was in the left lane traveling 55 in a 55 and I was passed by a semi in the right lane. Next thing I know, I'm pulled over by a small town border cop (Hidalgo, TX - just over the bridge from Mexico) and told I was doing 61 in the 55. I asked if he noticed the semi that passed me and he said he had the radar reading. I told him the signature (he was running conventional radar) would have been the semi speed, but he assumed it was me because I was in the left lane. No dice.

I went in and spoke to the chief of police, and he said it is up to the officer. No dice. I went in on the court day to fight it and spoke to the judge. The judge was sympathetic, but wouldn't budge, since he said it was the "officer's call". I told the judge I thought the whole town was messed up, that I could see through it all (the town is well known as a speed/ticket trap, especially for Mexicans driving across the border), and that it's nice to know how idiotic the local police were. Yeah, it was balsy to do that, but you can do it with tact and maintain a respectful posture.

I followed it up with a formal complaint filed via the chief. So yeah... if you ARE innocent and run into a situation, fight it to the fullest. But don't expect to gain any ground... law enforcement is always in the right... even when they are wrong.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
However, to answer Jeff's question about me being pulled over by the NC sheriff... no way I was going to fight it. I was going 15 over (70 in a 55) and being followed by 4 people... you think a small-town NC judge is going to buy ANY story from a US Marine who was stopped in a corridor where mostly ALL the military travel? No way. I paid the bill and took my lumps.

Sheep I tell you.

That's just it... if you are pulled over and you are in the wrong, eat it and deal with it. You KNOW you were speeding, so don't play any different.

That's what you might do but not alot of others, including me.

I was the 'victim' once... I was in the left lane traveling 55 in a 55 and I was passed by a semi in the right lane. Next thing I know, I'm pulled over by a small town border cop (Hidalgo, TX - just over the bridge from Mexico) and told I was doing 61 in the 55. I asked if he noticed the semi that passed me and he said he had the radar reading. I told him the signature (he was running conventional radar) would have been the semi speed, but he assumed it was me because I was in the left lane. No dice.

I went in and spoke to the chief of police, and he said it is up to the officer. No dice. I went in on the court day to fight it and spoke to the judge. The judge was sympathetic, but wouldn't budge, since he said it was the "officer's call". I told the judge I thought the whole town was messed up, that I could see through it all (the town is well known as a speed/ticket trap, especially for Mexicans driving across the border), and that it's nice to know how idiotic the local police were. Yeah, it was balsy to do that, but you can do it with tact and maintain a respectful posture.

I followed it up with a formal complaint filed via the chief. So yeah... if you ARE innocent and run into a situation, fight it to the fullest. But don't expect to gain any ground... law enforcement is always in the right... even when they are wrong.
You know why you lost? Because you didn't fight your case very well. Just "talking" to the judge doesn't cut it. You need to get information how how accurate the radar(not lidar) is, get diagrams(pictures of where you got pulled over), pictures of a similar semi and prove that when given a larger object, most radar will pick the larger of the two. Law enforcement is NOT ALWAYS IN THE RIGHT. But that's what the system would like you to believe.

From your experience, you have come to the conclusion that tickets can't be fought and sucessfully battled. From my experience(more than 2-3 times), tickets CAN be successfully battled IF you do it right. AND to add, ALOT of the battle has NOTHING to do if you actually performed the infraction or not.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Sheep I tell you.
[/b]
whatever.

You know why you lost? Because you didn't fight your case very well. Just "talking" to the judge doesn't cut it. You need to get information how how accurate the radar(not lidar) is, get diagrams(pictures of where you got pulled over), pictures of a similar semi and prove that when given a larger object, most radar will pick the larger of the two. Law enforcement is NOT ALWAYS IN THE RIGHT. But that's what the system would like you to believe.

From your experience, you have come to the conclusion that tickets can't be fought and sucessfully battled. From my experience(more than 2-3 times), tickets CAN be successfully battled IF you do it right. AND to add, ALOT of the battle has NOTHING to do if you actually performed the infraction or not. [/B]
I absolutely love the way you can listen to someone and suddenly come to the conclusion of "well it would have been different if I was there"... please. You would have had your charts and diagrams and powerpoint presentations and the judge would have said "oh well". It all comes down to the judge and his decision... what are you going to do, cry fowl? Sue the court? (snicker).

Please.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:19 AM

my friend ran into a cool cop. He was on his way down from austin to houston around 3AM. he was going to see his girlfriend. he was going 80 on a 55. state trooper pulled him over and asked for ID. When the trooper saw his UT student ID on his wallet, the trooper said "you goin to see your girl?" My friend said yes and the trooper said:
" slow down, it doesnt matter if you get to her place ah hour from now or two hours from now. I know you want some pu$$y and the pu$$y wants you too. doesnt matter when you get there, you'll still get it. The pu$$y wants you as much as you want it."
He then let my friend go and didnt give him a ticket.
He was a black cop by the way. They are cool. I've gotten pulled over a few times too and gotten away without a ticket.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
jjs

Sheep I tell you.

[/b]

That's what you might do but not alot of others, including me.

From your experience, you have come to the conclusion that tickets can't be fought and sucessfully battled. From my experience(more than 2-3 times), tickets CAN be successfully battled IF you do it right. AND to add, ALOT of the battle has NOTHING to do if you actually performed the infraction or not. [/B]
Uh, unless I missed some things....

1. law enforcement being in the right...you need to take his whole last comments together which DOES take you to your 'believe' conclusion
2. this was a single instance in a small town which are notorious for 'arranged' good old boy procedures...regardless of how 'well' one fights a case
3. "you have come to the conclusion that tickets can't be fought and sucessfully battled" I don't see this in his statements. I DO see the caveat to others not to expect to win, but I don't see where he gave up on the whole process. He even suggested fighting to the fullest.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
MAKSYMALNY

What the h3ll does race have to do with it, you idiot?

"they" are cool? what the h3ll, man... you a racist?

Old 08-15-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Keep getting tickets and keep paying them I guess. LIKE I said, alot of fighting the ticket has NOTHING to do with the actual infraction. So you are already missing 1/2 of the battle.

But on the subject of the actually battle, yes get as much information as you can because that's your only defense. You can also appeal the decision to get another judge to hear it.

You know what judges hate most? People that just try to "talk" their way out of tickets. It shows you haven't prepared jack for your defense. So why should they take you serious if you don't take your own defense serious. If you ONLY bring verbal testimony, it's your word against the officer. You know what that means?? YOU LOSE.

So go ahead and be like the rest of the sheep that don't know how to fight tickets, because that is what the state/county is banking on.

Besides, how would YOU fight ticket if you were INNOCENT?? Like your example with the semi?? Is that your version of fighting to the FULLEST? Because if it is, it's not.

I love how you think YOUR way is the only way. If you YOUR way doesn't work, nothing else will. AT least I'm giving people options about different ways to fight tickets. Not just take it up the backside and grin.

I absolutely love the way you can listen to someone and suddenly come to the conclusion of "well it would have been different if I was there"... please. You would have had your charts and diagrams and powerpoint presentations and the judge would have said "oh well". It all comes down to the judge and his decision... what are you going to do, cry fowl? Sue the court? (snicker).

Please.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

You missed alot actually

Originally posted by jjs

Uh, unless I missed some things....

1. law enforcement being in the right...you need to take his whole last comments together which DOES take you to your 'believe' conclusion
2. this was a single instance in a small town which are notorious for 'arranged' good old boy procedures...regardless of how 'well' one fights a case
3. "you have come to the conclusion that tickets can't be fought and sucessfully battled" I don't see this in his statements. I DO see the caveat to others not to expect to win, but I don't see where he gave up on the whole process. He even suggested fighting to the fullest.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:37 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Hmmm... well, let's break it down here.

YOU would have walked into the courtroom and had your powerpoint presentation... you would have probably come off like a 'know it all' and ****ed the judge off... and the officer. The LAST thing you want to do is appear like you know how to do their jobs better.

Appeal? Last I checked you CAN'T appeal traffic court.

Judges don't get ****ed at people who talk in an attempt to plea their case... they DO get ****ed if you are condescending and quote technical manuals and such. Think about it... they see people day in, day out for traffic citations... they don't care if you quote a technical manual.

But you probably know more about it anyway... I usually DON'T get pulled over and receive tickets. I've had, like, 4 tickets in the 18 years I've been driving.

-R

Old 08-15-2003, 09:43 AM
jjs

I usually DON'T get pulled over and receive tickets. I've had, like, 4 tickets in the 18 years I've been driving.

-R
I think THAT is the best bottom line on this!!! Got one last year, my first in YEARS. If you have a state that allows for defensive driving dismissals and only get enough tickets to never actually have one hit your record, to me the cost of the ticket I got at right about $100.00 INCLUDING the cost of the defensive driving is well worth not having the hassle/loss of time at work, etc. of going to fight a ticket which you may very well LOSE anyway.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by jjs

I think THAT is the best bottom line on this!!! Got one last year, my first in YEARS. If you have a state that allows for defensive driving dismissals and only get enough tickets to never actually have one hit your record, to me the cost of the ticket I got at right about $100.00 INCLUDING the cost of the defensive driving is well worth not having the hassle/loss of time at work, etc. of going to fight a ticket which you may very well LOSE anyway.
Don't forget, the cost of the court and defense driving 'school' (which, most of the time, is a JOKE)... also is much better than the long-term cost of insurance rates.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

YOU would have walked into the courtroom and had your powerpoint presentation... you would have probably come off like a 'know it all' and ****ed the judge off... and the officer. The LAST thing you want to do is appear like you know how to do their jobs better.

Big ASSUMPTION there. I've done it my way and won. Funny how the law works that way. Doesn't matter how they FEEL about it. It's the law. They can't deny it. And since I don't have to EXPLAIN the law to him, it doesn't sound like me knowing it all as I don't know as much as him Just to you.

Appeal? Last I checked you CAN'T appeal traffic court.

Check again, last time I checked in my state, I could.

Judges don't get ****ed at people who talk in an attempt to plea their case... they DO get ****ed if you are condescending and quote technical manuals and such. Think about it... they see people day in, day out for traffic citations... they don't care if you quote a technical manual.

You know this HOW? You just admitted you don't get many tickets? Have you ever sat in the court for an hour or two to see how MOST people plead their case? It's pathectic. Judges get irritated by ignorance and disrepect. I try to bring NONE of that to the court.

But you probably know more about it anyway... I usually DON'T get pulled over and receive tickets. I've had, like, 4 tickets in the 18 years I've been driving.
-R
Hmmm, you come off like an expert above and in the last ditch effort to discredit, you come in and admit "you probably know more about it anyway". How nice. If you only had a few tickets and let's say you only tried to fight 1/2 of them. Why are you even commenting on what's the right/wrong way to fight a ticket?? Because it's quite obvious that you don't.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'd take that everytime. Too bad it's only an option maybe once or twice in your lifetime. They only generally give it to people that have very clean records. If you don't, your out of luck. So if you get another ticket let's say in 1-2 years, you most likely wont' be able to get defensive school(but I'd ask anyway). Just because the judge "SAYS" it won't be on your record, that doesn't mean they won't know they gave you d. school a few years back.

Originally posted by jjs

Old 08-15-2003, 09:56 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Hey man, whatever, really.

You want to be an expert and claim 50 visits to a courtroom, go ahead.

Judges don't like disrespect, yes... wearing a jumpsuit to a court appearance is distasteful (wear a suit)... although that has been debated as well.

I can claim much by KNOWING quite a few in law enforcement and discussing threads such as this one.

Again, you are ALWAYS condescending, Jeff.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:59 AM
jjs

I'd take that everytime. Too bad it's only an option maybe once or twice in your lifetime. They only generally give it to people that have very clean records. If you don't, your out of luck. So if you get another ticket let's say in 1-2 years, you most likely wont' be able to get defensive school(but I'd ask anyway). Just because the judge "SAYS" it won't be on your record, that doesn't mean they won't know they gave you d. school a few years back.

If I am not mistaken, right now TX has a 'once every 18 month' thing for this. Also, down here, THEY don't actually give the courses...all you need do is provide the certificate from a third party who does.

I agree, those who don't have a clean record are in a much different situation.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Oh my, here come the insults. I NEVER claimed to be an expert(you did). You don't have to wear a suit(not everyone can afford one). But you should come dressed neat.

You can CLAIM all you want. But you either don't know how to properly fight a ticket, not telling or not asking the right questions of your officer friends.

Because though all of this, you haven't given jack for real information. And that was the whole point(again missed). You want to disprove my information as wrong, go right ahead. I don't mind a bit. Maybe I'll learn something. Just don't jack everyone around by impling that people shouldn't use the law and excercise their rights to fight a ticket.

You want to discuss the issue? Fine. You want to continue to lob cheap shots, just quit right now.

Hey man, whatever, really.

You want to be an expert and claim 50 visits to a courtroom, go ahead.

Judges don't like disrespect, yes... wearing a jumpsuit to a court appearance is distasteful (wear a suit)... although that has been debated as well.

I can claim much by KNOWING quite a few in law enforcement and discussing threads such as this one.

Again, you are ALWAYS condescending, Jeff.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:17 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Next time I register at the community college, I will look for "How to Fight a Ticket 101". SHOW ME where I claimed to be an "expert"... using those words.

YOU haven't got jack for real information... your technical mumbo jumbo won't work (in MY experience... maybe in YOURS). Jeff, I think you're pretty cool EXCEPT when you ALWAYS question others' experiences.

There ARE exceptions to Jeff's world.

Lobbing cheap shots? WTF do you think you are doing with your "you don't know how to properly fight a ticket". Please.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Next time I register at the community college, I will look for "How to Fight a Ticket 101". SHOW ME where I claimed to be an "expert"... using those words.

Nowhere. You told everyone I was the expert

YOU haven't got jack for real information... your technical mumbo jumbo won't work (in MY experience... maybe in YOURS). Jeff, I think you're pretty cool EXCEPT when you ALWAYS question others' experiences.

I have plenty on the subject. Go to the test site and search if you don't believe me. But you won't. I don't question EVERYONE'S experiences. Just yours in this case. Exactly how does ONE or even TWO = EVERYONE? Considering there is over 20,000 registered members on this site?

There ARE exceptions to Jeff's world.
Another cheap shot I guess. Sure there are excepts. Every state is different.

Lobbing cheap shots? WTF do you think you are doing with your "you don't know how to properly fight a ticket". Please.
Exactly how is that cheap? It's correct. Now claiming I've had over 50 tickets is cheap.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:44 AM
MAKSYMALNY

You have a very twisted way of thinking.

Enough.. I have a weekend to prepare for.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 PM

Couple of months ago I got a ticket for "not wearing a seatbelt" - my first ticket (non-parking related)in 20 years!!

Well, I was looking for a parking spot (I had the seat belt on at that time) and when I saw a space I pulled in and stepped out to check if it was a legit spot. It wasn't and I got back in the car. Then I saw a car about 200 feet up the block pulling out between a row of cars. In a hurry, I quickly drove up to the space forgetting to put the belt back on. Before I got there, a cop pulled me over and gave me the ticket. He probably saw the whole thing but chose to give me the ticket anyway. He said "anytime your car is in drive, you should have the belt on".

Guys, have you ever seen parking valets putting on seat belts when they park cars. What about pulling your car into the garage from your driveway without the seat belt? Any violation of the letter of the law?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:46 PM
jjs

Originally posted by kenny
Couple of months ago I got a ticket for "not wearing a seatbelt" - my first ticket (non-parking related)in 20 years!!

Well, I was looking for a parking spot (I had the seat belt on at that time) and when I saw a space I pulled in and stepped out to check if it was a legit spot. It wasn't and I got back in the car. Then I saw a car about 200 feet up the block pulling out between a row of cars. In a hurry, I quickly drove up to the space forgetting to put the belt back on. Before I got there, a cop pulled me over and gave me the ticket. He probably saw the whole thing but chose to give me the ticket anyway. He said "anytime your car is in drive, you should have the belt on".

Guys, have you ever seen parking valets putting on seat belts when they park cars. What about pulling your car into the garage from your driveway without the seat belt? Any violation of the letter of the law?
Actually, you need to explain here where this parking space was. If it was a spot on the street you were trying to get to, then yes you were in violation of the seatbelt laws (at least how they are in TX)...if this was a 'private' parking lot, etc. they could not have ticketed you until you entered a public road for that. Which would also be the case in driveways, etc.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:06 PM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by jjs

Actually, you need to explain here where this parking space was. If it was a spot on the street you were trying to get to, then yes you were in violation of the seatbelt laws (at least how they are in TX)...if this was a 'private' parking lot, etc. they could not have ticketed you until you entered a public road for that. Which would also be the case in driveways, etc.
This is VERY true. I was told by one of my soldiers who is a cop that he can't ticket someone who goes through a stop sign in a mall parking lot, because it is private parking. However, should the security guard want to ticket you, then the officer gets involved.

confusing.

Old 08-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm 24 and I've received 2 tickets since I've been driving (age 15). They were both for speeding. The first one I was going 46 in a 30. The second one I was going 95 in a 70. The second one I was in TX coming from Kileen back to Belton on I-35 (i think thats the hwy, its been a few years). I was in a 91 accord and the speedometer didn't work. That road is 2 lanes, and at the point I was, there was a huge grass median in between both roads. I knew I was speeding, I just didnt know how badly. Well, I was all by myself crusing along and then I see the TX State Trooper coming in the left lane on the other side of the median. Then I saw his brake lights come on, and he started driving into the grass. I knew I was fuked right away. I just pulled over and was waiting for him when he got there. I was an idiot for going that fast. I got the ticket and deserved it. Anyway, my point is I've been pulled over probably 8 times other than those 2, and I've managed to get out of every single one of them. The key (at least this is what I think) is to respect the guy. And I don't pretend when I do it. I have a ton of respect for those guys. Yeah, they may bust your ***** for speeding (your fault), but the next day it could be the very same cop to pull your a$$ out of your burning car because your dumba$$ was speeding and you flipped your car. I'm sorry but that job demands my respect. No 2 ways about it. I was brought up to respect the police, and 8 times out of 10 it has paid off for me. Just something to think about...
Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by Luquire
I am always respectful. I think it probably is the only reason i have goptten out of some tickets but the state troopers in texas are generally asses. I live in houston and haev meet many nice cops but it always seems that the statetroopers around houston and in the surrounding small cities are out for blood. The ticket he gaev me was deserved but i am just saying hje was a **** about it when all he had to do was be nice instead of a hard ***. i have had my fair share of tickets and i have kidded around with the cops that have pulled me over. i just hate it when they are on their little power trips.
Let me know of any Texas DPS tickets you guys get. I "might" be able to do something about them.