5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To short ram intake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To short ram intake or not?

I live in Vegas where it gets HOT. Will I suffer in performance with the short ram? I have the stock airbox on for a month then go back to the Franken then back. I am thinking that with the hot @$$ air the short ram is sacrificing me power. What do you think?

Also I am thinking of going stock airbox with the silencer removed and just use a short midpipe in it's place. This may be the best intake yet and someone here has done it as well. What do you think?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:26 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Gutter Intake check mine out works great!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:37 AM

Anyone else?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 AM

why not just buy the frankencar with mid pipe and apexi filter. haven't heard one bad thing about that setup yet....
Old 09-08-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by chigga
why not just buy the frankencar with mid pipe and apexi filter. haven't heard one bad thing about that setup yet....

I've got the Frankencar with a K&N.

Will the apexi cool off the air? Nope.

The hot air is what I am concerned about. We have months of 100+ temps here.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
I've got the Frankencar with a K&N.

Will the apexi cool off the air? Nope.

The hot air is what I am concerned about. We have months of 100+ temps here.
you will be fine, but the CAI would be better if you do a lot of traffic driving.

I took my CAI lower pipe off and put the filter on the TB and did not notice a performace change in the summer.

You could always build a head shield, piece of alum that seperates the air filter from the air bay.

Bottom line with intakes is there is NOT a whole lot of power to be gained, so most setups will lead you to minimal gains (unless you are boosted)
Old 09-08-2003, 07:06 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Maximam
Anyone else?
im not familar with the weather in vegas but during the heat you are describing, i would stay away from any short ram intake. i would either go with a true cai or purchase a spare air box and hack the one you have. trying the midpipe with a hacked box would seem to be the best for the heat. i know alot of people near me in and around nc use stock/hacked air boxes in summer and back to regular intakes during fall and winter. ive run my franken/berk intake during all seasons and it definately lags in the heat. i do use the stock scoop with a heat resistant tubing leading to the filer and also a reflective wrap that dropped my air temp in the midpipe between 5 and 10 degrees according to my obd2 software.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
im not familar with the weather in vegas but during the heat you are describing, i would stay away from any short ram intake. i would either go with a true cai or purchase a spare air box and hack the one you have. trying the midpipe with a hacked box would seem to be the best for the heat. i know alot of people near me in and around nc use stock/hacked air boxes in summer and back to regular intakes during fall and winter. ive run my franken/berk intake during all seasons and it definately lags in the heat. i do use the stock scoop with a heat resistant tubing leading to the filer and also a reflective wrap that dropped my air temp in the midpipe between 5 and 10 degrees according to my obd2 software.

I'm thinking a possible modded airbox with a midpipe.