5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dead VQ35. Nissan basically denies warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

Managers ran away also. You would think if they were so right, they wouldn't have to flat out hide when Matt came around the corner.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
It's not the tech's job to deal with upset customers. They had to tell him they can't cover a potentially multi-thousand dollar job; they can kind of guess he will be upset. The tech's aren't paid to deal with PO'd customers. That's the manager's job.

I know my boss would never put me in front of an upset customer. (a) not my job, (b) I'm not a people person (ie. I'd probably make the situation worse).
The point you're missing is that they treated him like ****, even after he was calm and collected. They still "avoided" him and refused him any further contact, which is the crux of this entire matter. They didn't offer any other solutions, they didn't bother to compromise with him based on the fact that he is a good customer and has a good reputation with said department, and they knew of his intentions of use of the vehicle, said it would be OK, and still jacked him up.

EDIT-- They just didn't use any of the good business practices which are very common throughout the entire world, and on top of that, they treated him like a leper...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:53 AM
wat

Originally Posted by brianc
Basically it's like this ... you mod'd, you blew, you own it.
End of story.

You claim you didn't lie but in your original post when asked if you had nitrous you said no. Wouldn't that be a lie?

You again attempted to deceive the dealer by removing all of the mods prior to taking your car in. Why? Because you knew it was your fault in the beginning.

Sorry dude you got what you deserved.

You have no clue what you are talking about...so as blu said, stfu.

As far as my opinion...I gotta say while honesty is a good thing, I think telling them or letting them know you had nitrous in the first place was not a good thing. I know it was only the techs that knew, but counting on them to jeopardize their jobs by not telling the managers...that is tough one. With my stuff, I will never let them know I had as much as a new shift **** on mine. But whatever...nothing can be done now. Get you some new pistons and roll.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:54 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Maxxxed
Dude sorry to hear about this loss, but to all fairness, you WERE fuking around with your car... so how do you expect Nissan to take the responsibility?

Bottom-line: the engine was NOS'd.

Sounds like someone is trying to screw over Nissan...but what do I know, I'm just a "hater."
Old 09-09-2003, 11:58 AM
is invisible

Nissan service: I wouldn't expect too much.
Does anyone have that rating sheet?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by CoolMax

Sounds like someone is trying to screw over Nissan...but what do I know, I'm just a "hater."
Actually, the bottom line is the fact that they were not professional in any manner (even if they were correct/right in their decision making), and SR20DEN was courteous enough to tell them everything and be open about it. They used it against him. Service departments "should" have better ethics than that. And I really don't believe that SR20DEN was trying to just screw them over for the entire bill. I know he was willing to make a compromise, but since they said that whatever he did was ok was still in his mind, he went in there expecting something that they didn't offer (they didn't offer anything, as a matter of fact).
Old 09-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Another bottom line: Because Matt is going to badmouth this dealer to anyone that will listen, the dealer will not only lose a few thousand $ of his $ but many more thousands of $ from the ones he doesn't refer to that dealer now. So instead of taking care of him by bending the rules a bit, they lose alot more in the way of future business. Business is not just yes/no all the time.

Matt just asked the dealer to maybe work with him a bit. ie.. giving maybe cost plus 5% on a new shortblock or something. Nobody would have lost anything on that deal. Instead they just turned their backs on Matt and pointed to the door.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:01 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Another bottom line: Because Matt is going to badmouth this dealer to anyone that will listen, the dealer will not only lose a few thousand $ of his $ but many more thousands of $ from the ones he doesn't refer to that dealer now. So instead of taking care of him by bending the rules a bit, they lose alot more in the way of future business. Business is not just yes/no all the time.

Matt just asked the dealer to maybe work with him a bit. ie.. giving maybe cost plus 5% on a new shortblock or something. Nobody would have lost anything on that deal. Instead they just turned their backs on Matt and pointed to the door.
Are we mind-linked or something?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SR20DEN....Sorry to hear....if you were local I'd be glad to help with the swap/work.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
BiggD23

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Actually, the bottom line is the fact that they were not professional in any manner (even if they were correct/right in their decision making), and SR20DEN was courteous enough to tell them everything and be open about it. They used it against him.
That's not true though. How was he honest and open about it? First, he removed all mods before going into the dealership. Next, he sidestepped the question about whether or not he had nitrous (which in itself is as good as saying "yes"). If he was being open and honest he would have rolled in there with mods installed and simply said "yes" when they asked him about nitrous. I know that doing either one of these things is stupid, but THAT'S being open and honest.

Like I said earlier, the dealership definitely could have handled the situation better from a business standpoint. I don't want to see any Maxima owner and fellow ORG member go through all this, but I honestly believe the decision they came to in the end was the only option they had.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:17 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by BiggD23
That's not true though. How was he honest and open about it? First, he removed all mods before going into the dealership. Next, he sidestepped the question about whether or not he had nitrous (which in itself is as good as saying "yes"). If he was being open and honest he would have rolled in there with mods installed and simply said "yes" when they asked him about nitrous. I know that doing either one of these things is stupid, but THAT'S being open and honest.

Like I said earlier, the dealership definitely could have handled the situation better from a business standpoint. I don't want to see any Maxima owner and fellow ORG member go through all this, but I honestly believe the decision they came to in the end was the only option they had.
He did tell them what he was doing, just not in that particular instance. He spoke to the techs (from what I gather) numerous times, and the SM said to take the performance mods off before coming in to do the warranty work. Sounds like he told them plenty, otherwise how would they know he was using N2O? The dealer SM said he'd look the other way as long as the mods were removed...

EDIT-- You're not basing your post on just todays post from SR20DEN, are you? I've followed his mods and posts since he started talking about them, and if you haven't, then you might not know the entire story (which is not posted here...just summed up).
Old 09-09-2003, 12:23 PM

Actually, the bottom line is the fact that they were not professional in any manner (even if they were correct/right in their decision making), and SR20DEN was courteous enough to tell them everything and be open about it. They used it against him. Service departments "should" have better ethics than that. And I really don't believe that SR20DEN was trying to just screw them over for the entire bill. I know he was willing to make a compromise, but since they said that whatever he did was ok was still in his mind, he went in there expecting something that they didn't offer (they didn't offer anything, as a matter of fact).
The only non-professional one was the service writer whom he apparently ****ed in his cornflakes ( ). Other than him, it was handled the way it should have been handled. What else could they do? Kiss his *** and say "sorry you blew your engine, want a cookie?"
Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
is invisible

It's Nissan...I don't expect professional service, especially after seeing the ratings.

I recall him contemplating playing dumb and not saying whether or not he NOS'd it. Was there something worth hiding?

Props to him for not losing his cool and being willing to compromise, but unless something was agreed to before without violating/voiding the contract/warranty, I have to stand by what I said before.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
The only non-professional one was the service writer whom he apparently ****ed in his cornflakes ( ). Other than him, it was handled the way it should have been handled. What else could they do? Kiss his *** and say "sorry you blew your engine, want a cookie?"
Professionalism and good ethics would have been much better than just abandoning him. The SM and SW both conviently "disappeared" so as not to talk to him anymore. And, the SM could have offered him some type of deal had he any good business ethics (and not just "what's good for this dealership") what so ever. I'm not saying that Nissan or that dealer should have to pay for all of it, but based on their agreement and based on his service relationship (as well as referrals) to this point, they should have offered a suitable solution. It's simple business...keep the customer happy, and he'll stay a customer. **** them off, and they take themselves and everyone they know/refer away from you...

EDIT-- Being a small business owner and at one time, an investor in car dealerships, I tend to have a different viewpoint than others (who probably haven't owned their own business or invested money in making something work)...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It's Nissan...I don't expect professional service, especially after seeing the ratings.

I recall him contemplating playing dumb and not saying whether or not he NOS'd it. Was there something worth hiding?

Props to him for not losing his cool and being willing to compromise, but unless something was agreed to before without violating/voiding the contract/warranty, I have to stand by what I said before.
The problem is the gentlemen's agreement they had. Evidently, one of the parties involved isn't actually going to stand up to what he agreed upon...I'll let you guess which one that party is.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

Bottom line: he's going to badmouth the dealer because he didn't get what he wanted and things didn't go his way.
Who doesn't do that? Is his word going to reach the typical Nissan customer?

Think of it from the dealer's point: would you be willing to accomodate someone NOS'ing their engine, knowing the potential consequences?

How much do you think he brought/can bring in to the dealership? It's not as if he's working for them.

Maybe he took the relationship for granted..."Do you guys mind if I NOS my engine?"

As far as yes/no goes: yes to mods...intake, exhaust, etc. no to mods...Turbo/SC/NOS.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:43 PM
BiggD23

He did tell them what he was doing, just not in that particular instance. He spoke to the techs (from what I gather) numerous times, and the SM said to take the performance mods off before coming in to do the warranty work. Sounds like he told them plenty, otherwise how would they know he was using N2O? The dealer SM said he'd look the other way as long as the mods were removed...
They would know because they look at the damage that his engine had and they know right away that it would not happen under normal operating conditions. I'm sure the fact that he had previously told some techs about the N2O didn't help the situation any, but I would bet anyone would get the same line of questioning if they brought a VQ35 in with that damage and the dealership knew nothing about it ahead of time.

I'm not trying to "hate" or just argue for the sake or argument, but I really see nothing wrong here short of bad customer service on the dealership's part. It wasn't their fault or Nissan's fault that the piston blew. Hopefully SR20DEN will find a good resolution that doesn't cost him too much coin.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Bottom line: he's going to badmouth the dealer because he didn't get what he wanted and things didn't go his way.
Who doesn't do that? Is his word going to reach the typical Nissan customer?

Think of it from the dealer's point: would you be willing to accomodate someone NOS'ing their engine, knowing the potential consequences?

How much do you think he brought/can bring in to the dealership? It's not as if he's working for them.

Maybe he took the relationship for granted..."Do you guys mind if I NOS my engine?"

As far as yes/no goes: yes to mods...intake, exhaust, etc. no to mods...Turbo/SC/NOS.
See my post a couple posts up...

The real question is "How much more business would I bring in for my dealership if I do work with this guy". The answer is, a lot. Anyone who reads here and lives near him (SR20DEN) would then go to this dealership for service, people would possibly start ordering parts through mail order or internet from them...etc, etc, etc. I know the answer. I've been there and done that. This dealership just isn't professional, nor are they up to par with how to handle their own business.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:53 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by BiggD23
They would know because they look at the damage that his engine had and they know right away that it would not happen under normal operating conditions. I'm sure the fact that he had previously told some techs about the N2O didn't help the situation any, but I would bet anyone would get the same line of questioning if they brought a VQ35 in with that damage and the dealership knew nothing about it ahead of time.

I'm not trying to "hate" or just argue for the sake or argument, but I really see nothing wrong here short of bad customer service on the dealership's part. It wasn't their fault or Nissan's fault that the piston blew. Hopefully SR20DEN will find a good resolution that doesn't cost him too much coin.
That's the entire point I'm trying to make, and I'm pretty sure SR20DEn is trying to make as well. He just included his current incident as a reference on how lowly Nissan service really is. Even a promise from the SM doesn't mean **** when you have a problem, but promising that it'll be ok and then not offering any type of help at all is utterly ridiculous on his part. Hell, in his place, I would have gladly worked out a deal knowing full well that anyone else he knows (and that have mods) would then come to my dealership if they had problems of a related matter (damage due to performance mods). That is totally unprofessional on his part, and very short-sighted from a business standpoint.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Got Bent?

I think this has been discussed beyond the original intent of the thread...

I'll reopen if Matt requests... but for now... lockdown...
Old 09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I really do not welcome critizism in this thread because no one has really mentioned anything that I hadn't either thought of or tried prior to making this post. Many of you wanted to know what I was upto and how my project had been going so I gave a detail explaination of the chain of events. This is exactly the reason why I hide so many things from you people. I have a huge bag of secrets that I choose only to share with those who are open minded enough to put them to good use. I could potentialy contribute so much more to this board if the haters would just lay off.
I HEAR YOU! I know you hold back and I know why. Don't let a few individuals *** the knowledge sharing around here. Just because the minority of *** tards are LOUDER, doesn't mean they're the majority.

I haven't read EVERYTHING, but let me just say you handled it about as well as could be expected. I wouldn't have taken it back to that dealer after they *knew* you had nitrous, since a different dealership wouldn't have been asking questions you couldn't answer. Also, I would have pressed a little harder and played their game of finding out what's wrong, while playing innocent. Most likely they would have just replaced it after doing a leakdown test and not tore it down. Tearing down the engine requires MORE work then just swapping in a new one.

Anyways, DAVEB needs to hear from you. He *SUPPOSEDLY* has a VQ35 or two "laying" around. One of which, ate a screw and has been SITTING there for 2-months. So, I don't buy into the Nissan corporate asks for all failures back theory. At least in this case they haven't, yet. Maybe you can use the spare for parts you need if your going to tear it down. He has another VQ35 shortblock that was attempted to be installed in a pathfinder, but wouldn't for some reason. Long shot, but maybe. Also, you can hit JR Nissan up for 30%-40% off a short block.

Anyways, my advice would have been SHADY, but next time HOLD 12V to the injector until it's crispy and go out for a nice long drive. Come home, clear the ECU, and let it sit overnight. Fire it up the next day and drive her in.

The ECU is the ONLY proof of what really happened when.