5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do dealers really perform required tasks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:53 PM

Do dealers really perform required tasks?

Taking my car into the 30k tune up soon. Just wondering, do they REALLY do EVERYTHING that is stated? For example, if you request synthetic oil instead of regular engine oil, would they really put synthetic oil? Or just charge you extra but put regular oil in. Same thing goes with the car's fluids. They really drain/change them?

Just seems kinda fishy that whenever you want to see the work of the car being done...they rarely let you peek around.

Also, don't know if this is really true but I think once your warrenty expires and each time you go back in for repair work at YOUR expense, I think they purpously "break" some of the car parts each time you go there so you will have to come back...and they can make more money off you.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's why I do all maintenance myself (that I can). As for whether they do all the required tasks... well I'm sure that depends on the dealer (and specifically the attitude of the guys working there). I'm sure they know they HAVE to do all those tasks...
Old 10-02-2003, 06:20 PM

That depends on what you have seen or heard what's going on. I trust my Nissan dealer where I bought it, since they have a window that you can actually watch them doing the work. I never had a problem with Melloy Nissan, but the other Nissan I went to twice that was close to my work was a balant rip off for the service and the lenght of wait for your car to be service. If I were you, I would check with Better Business Bureau to check that dealer's reptuation if they were complaints. That will help you decide whether if you should continue to have your car service there.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Melloy Nissan Dealership

I'm glad to know that someone in NM has had good service from Melloy because my experience since I purchased my 2000 GLE new has been horrible. While under warranty they refused to believe that any of my complaints were valid (including the leaking headlight which they finally acknowledged after my car was 66 miles past warranty coverage).

Their 2 biggest and costliest mistakes-3 paint failures by their paint dept (after the 4th return I've given up-the clear coat has failed each time until finally, after keeping the car 45 days, they admitted the original paint was faulty). I had to pay the expense of a rental vehicle. On one occasion they said they had a loaner I could use-it was a 84 Nissan (can't remember the model), with greasy upholstery and no a/c-in the middle of July in NM).

The last mistake was their identification of a bumping sound when I would go over rough roads-their diagnosis was a faulting timing belt. 3 weeks later (no loaner again-I had to rent a car and pay $1000.00). When the car was ready (the service tech said he had driven it home one night, and the problem was fixed) the sound was audible by myself and my 6 year old grandson before getting out of the lot. The tech told me to return the vehicle over the next few days and they would take a look. $3,555.00 later (not including the 2 cars I had to rent), they found it wasn't the timing belt at all, it was the motor mounts. They refunded me $2,600.00. Ridiculous.

They lie through their teeth-want to make their monthly quota & don't give a s*** if you car is repaired.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: MELLOY.

It took me a couple of tries and storming out of the service area when they refused to advance my timing.

Although, I have purchased both my Maximas from there.

They finally agreed to do it, but I've never had any other dealings with them.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Cletus

do all your own work...you knows it being done
Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 PM

How do you guys find these threads?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 AM

Dealer experiences

Can't do my own work-might break a nail!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by tuggertoo
I'm glad to know that someone in NM has had good service from Melloy because my experience since I purchased my 2000 GLE new has been horrible. While under warranty they refused to believe that any of my complaints were valid (including the leaking headlight which they finally acknowledged after my car was 66 miles past warranty coverage).

Their 2 biggest and costliest mistakes-3 paint failures by their paint dept (after the 4th return I've given up-the clear coat has failed each time until finally, after keeping the car 45 days, they admitted the original paint was faulty). I had to pay the expense of a rental vehicle. On one occasion they said they had a loaner I could use-it was a 84 Nissan (can't remember the model), with greasy upholstery and no a/c-in the middle of July in NM).

The last mistake was their identification of a bumping sound when I would go over rough roads-their diagnosis was a faulting timing belt. 3 weeks later (no loaner again-I had to rent a car and pay $1000.00). When the car was ready (the service tech said he had driven it home one night, and the problem was fixed) the sound was audible by myself and my 6 year old grandson before getting out of the lot. The tech told me to return the vehicle over the next few days and they would take a look. $3,555.00 later (not including the 2 cars I had to rent), they found it wasn't the timing belt at all, it was the motor mounts. They refunded me $2,600.00. Ridiculous.

They lie through their teeth-want to make their monthly quota & don't give a s*** if you car is repaired.
It doesn't have timing belt ... did they say 'timing chain'? Anyway, it couldn't be the source of your sound when going over rough road either.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
How do you guys find these threads?
I'm going to guess that tugger's latest experience was simply the last straw. Searching on the term 'Melloy' should have found this thread if no time limit was set on how far back to look.

tuggertoo - sorry to hear of your poor experiences, but I think we both know that the dealership was taking identifiable and inappropriate advantage of you. (off-topic - is tugger green?)

Norm
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Some do some dont stay and check for yourself then they will do it all!! Do everything I can for myself unless I cant handle it!!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:59 AM

OT-Is Tugger green?

If you are referring to the photo, the green one is Miss MadMaxMacaw (I'm the one in the dress).
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Banned

I don’t believe most shops do the required job or even the work that you request. Here is an example, about 2 months ago my wife took her 1997 max in for its tune up and oil change while I was away. I told her to get the plug’s changed and not to expect the car back the same day. So when she called me about an hour later and said it was done I thought something was funny about that short amount of time because changing the plugs involves pulling the IM off. When I get home a week later and look at the receipt she paid for the plugs and the labor but no gaskets for the IM. so when I went and checked the car myself they didn’t even change any of the plugs I know this because the cover on the front valve cover had one bolt so rusted that it took me 2+ hours to get it out after I snapped the head off of it and when I took out the plug it wasn’t the NGK plugs that was on the receipt that I told her to ask for it was Bosch plugs from the 150,000 change that I did myself.

Edited: Due to the school teacher having issues with my grammer

Last edited by cjandura; 07-14-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Cletus

the nissan dealership i go to has full windows the length of the wall between the waiting room and the bays...i assume thats so people can make sure the work is done

anytime i have taken my vehicles to dealerships for work I tend to hang out next to the car or right outside to watch...its not that i dont trust them, i just want to watch work being done to my car.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by cjandura
I dont believe most shops do the required job or even the work that you request done heres an example about 2 months ago my wife took her 1997 max in for its tune up and oil change while i was away i told her to get the plugs changed and not to expect the car back the same day so when she called me about a hour later and said it was done i thought something was funny about that short amount of time because changing the plugs involves pulling the IM off well when i get home a week later and look at the reciept she paid for the plugs and the labor but no gaskets for the IM and when i went and checked the car myself they didnt even change any of the plugs i know this because the cover on the front cover had one bolt so rusted that it took me 2+ hours to get it out after i snapped the head off of it and when i took out the plug it wasnt the NGK plugs that was on the reciept that i told her to ask for it was Bosch plugs from the 150,000 change that i did myself
thats a very long runon sentence

at least seperate the sentences with ... to make it easier to read
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
the nissan dealership i go to has full windows the length of the wall between the waiting room and the bays...i assume thats so people can make sure the work is done

anytime i have taken my vehicles to dealerships for work I tend to hang out next to the car or right outside to watch...its not that i dont trust them, i just want to watch work being done to my car.
I think they just took advantage of her.you know the whole women and cars thing.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Cletus

I think they just took advantage of her.you know the whole women and cars thing.
sorry...didnt actually read your post...
Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
thats a very long runon sentence

at least seperate the sentences with ... to make it easier to read

was thinking the same thing, only just caught my breath again, thought I was gonna pass out.

<puff, puff>

N
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

I don’t believe most shops do the required job or even the work that you request. Here is an example, about 2 months ago my wife took her 1997 max in for its tune up and oil change while I was away. I told her to get the plug’s changed and not to expect the car back the same day. So when she called me about an hour later and said it was done I thought something was funny about that short amount of time because changing the plugs involves pulling the IM off. When I get home a week later and look at the receipt she paid for the plugs and the labor but no gaskets for the IM. so when I went and checked the car myself they didn’t even change any of the plugs I know this because the cover on the front valve cover had one bolt so rusted that it took me 2+ hours to get it out after I snapped the head off of it and when I took out the plug it wasn’t the NGK plugs that was on the receipt that I told her to ask for it was Bosch plugs from the 150,000 change that I did myself.

Edited: Due to the school teacher having issues with my grammer
man, that would **** me off. I heard of places doing oil changes and not replacing people's oil filters and I thought that was bad... but this is extreme.

what did you do? did you at least get the money back?