5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: CASH-IN-HAND buyers for TechnoSquare ECU
Cali-spec 5spd
26.19%
Cali-spec Auto
26.19%
Fed-spec 5spd
15.48%
Fed-spec Auto
32.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

$$$$$$$$$2K-2K1 Owners with $600 CASH-IN-HAND ready for TechnoSquare ECU?$$$$$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003 | 01:56 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

*UPDATE*

Well good/bad news.

First, the GOOD. Dannys' programmer was successful at downloading the source code at Techtom in Japan, so modifying it *SHOULD* be possible. Although, nothing has been modified or tuned, so that's still unknown for sure.

Now the BAD. It requires a "different" software program TechnoSquare doesn't have. Currently, they are debating whether or not DEMAND will justify the steep purchase price for the software from Techtom. Now, Danny did NOT say this, but I suspect that this concern is based on the 2K2+ ECUs poor buyer turnout.

I've pointed them to this thread and told them numerous times that we have 32-buyers, but I'm still *TRYING* to nail down EXACTLY what we need to do to give TS confidence of our DEMAND for their product. I'm taking a VERY proactive approach to this product and I feel confident we CAN make this happen if we work together.

Any ideas on what we can do would be GREATLY appreciated. Keep this thread alive and ANYONE who's NOT on the list or has ????? by their name/car description NEEDs to chime in NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

E-mails to Danny?
Old 10-29-2003 | 08:20 AM

No...he's too busy, but can't hurt I guess. I'd wait a little bit though.

I'm wondering if PREPAID orders or $XXX deposits might do it. If TechnoSquare says no, I'll suggest it as a last resort.

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
E-mails to Danny?
Old 10-29-2003 | 10:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
No...he's too busy, but can't hurt I guess. I'd wait a little bit though.

I'm wondering if PREPAID orders or $XXX deposits might do it. If TechnoSquare says no, I'll suggest it as a last resort.
I was thinking the same thing the other night but didnt mention it. I mean if they took deposits and worse came to worse TechnoSquare is a big company and shouldnt have a problem with this. TS could also set a time limit where if the project took longer than a month or two they could start to offer refunds if people wanted.

Im still getin my $ together
Old 10-29-2003 | 10:52 AM

The only problem I can see with that is the "holding/refunding" of the money. I doubt they care to deal with that.

I wonder if Kev would be willing to setup a "slush" fund of peoples' deposits/payments and then cut TS the check. That way TS doesn't have to hassle with it, yet knows ALL the money is UP FRONT and ready to go. I'm pretty sure Kev(read Jane) could handle it.

Originally Posted by ChillWill2000
I was thinking the same thing the other night but didnt mention it. I mean if they took deposits and worse came to worse TechnoSquare is a big company and shouldnt have a problem with this. TS could also set a time limit where if the project took longer than a month or two they could start to offer refunds if people wanted.

Im still getin my $ together
Old 10-30-2003 | 06:47 AM

Wow this is taking that long now?! WTF - talk about BS advertizing- IceY2k1 I'd think youd be
gotten yours by now- I'd love to jump on a 3.5 upgrade but its cold and cant ride my bike for 3-4
weeks-lol
May have to wait till spring- but would like to hear more satisfied customers from this upgrade as reassurance that its worth it- 2k-2k1's Good luck!
Old 10-30-2003 | 08:49 AM

They've got too many other projects with more DEMAND then ours. We're going to be on the back burner and I knew that. I was just SURPRISED Danny was so responsive and interested. He truely wants to help us and has been emailing back and forth several times daily. My ECU is the guinea-pig, so it's going to take awhile plus it takes 2wks. minimum to make it to Japan and back from Techtom just for downloading.

Business is business and we aren't a priority, but at least we're getting a chance.

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Wow this is taking that long now?! WTF - talk about BS advertizing- IceY2k1 I'd think youd be
gotten yours by now- I'd love to jump on a 3.5 upgrade but its cold and cant ride my bike for 3-4
weeks-lol
May have to wait till spring- but would like to hear more satisfied customers from this upgrade as reassurance that its worth it- 2k-2k1's Good luck!
Old 10-30-2003 | 08:43 PM

What are TS's expectations? If they need X number of people to purchase then we need to know what X is; otherwise, we are only guessing what the possibilities may be.

Perhaps TS would be willing to part with the code they were able to download and offer that to us for free or at some discounted price. Somebody could get creative and figure out how to make it work. Then, give it back to TS, at no cost, for review and fine tuning. TS could then finalize the product and sell it to the community. This approach relieves TS of any financial hardship, puts ownership on our community, and gives TS incentive later if somebody can make it work.
Old 10-30-2003 | 09:07 PM

Still waiting for the reply to that EXACT question, but I don't think they've decided yet since he's still seeing what the programmer can figure out from the code they got.

Anyways, we wouldn't have a prayer screwing with the block code Techtom sends them. Our only other route is to learn Japanese and get Techtom to do it.

Originally Posted by mdeal
What are TS's expectations? If they need X number of people to purchase then we need to know what X is; otherwise, we are only guessing what the possibilities may be.

Perhaps TS would be willing to part with the code they were able to download and offer that to us for free or at some discounted price. Somebody could get creative and figure out how to make it work. Then, give it back to TS, at no cost, for review and fine tuning. TS could then finalize the product and sell it to the community. This approach relieves TS of any financial hardship, puts ownership on our community, and gives TS incentive later if somebody can make it work.
Old 11-04-2003 | 06:08 AM

Well I congragulate you for getting him to at least look at the 2k and 2k1 ecu's which leads me to believe doing such for a 99 would be possible as well. But my emails about getting that going got brushed off. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out for sure though.
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:24 AM

Sorry, but '99s are the WORST year, since there are TONS of different ECUs. Just to get an idea of the differences, go to www.car-parts.com and search for engine computer for the '99 vs. '00 vs. '01. It's sick how many different '99 ECUs there are out there.

Your BEST bet is to go with the Greddy eManage, which sx7r has got working on his '99(IIRC). That's my next route.

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Well I congragulate you for getting him to at least look at the 2k and 2k1 ecu's which leads me to believe doing such for a 99 would be possible as well. But my emails about getting that going got brushed off. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out for sure though.
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:28 AM

I talked to a nissan tech....the ecu itself is the same. The different codes are mearly updates to the nvis system. Some are newer than others etc. There arent any real changes to the ecu itself other than that.
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:34 AM

I doubt that.

You've AT LEAST got Fed vs. Cali, GXE/SE/GLE, TCS/non-TCS, and even looks like power seat vs. w/o power seat and thru 9/98, from 10/98.

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, MT, Calif, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, MT, Calif, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), w/power driver's seat, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Calif, w/o traction control; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; w/power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, MT, Fed, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, MT, Fed, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), w/power driver's seat, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), w/power driver's seat, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Fed, w/o traction control; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; w/power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Fed, w/o traction control; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; w/power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, MT, Calif, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, MT, Calif, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, MT, Fed, thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, MT, Fed, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), w/o power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; w/o power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; w/o power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/o traction control; w/o power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), w/o power driver's seat; thru 9/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Fed, w/traction control (TCS), w/o power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; w/o power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), w/o power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), w/power driver's seat, from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Calif, w/traction control (TCS), from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GLE, Calif, w/o traction control; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), GXE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; w/power driver's seat; from 10/98
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (under center of dash), SE, AT, Calif, w/o traction control; from 10/98
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:48 AM

Holy Crap batman..that is a lot of different setups. Im sorry for all the 99 maximas
Old 11-04-2003 | 08:54 AM

There is a slim chance a '99 Fed<-->'00 Fed or '99 Cali<-->'00 Cali ECU could be interchangeable with equivalent trans/options. That is something we'll test out once/if we get this up and running.

I'm counting on the '00 Cali<-->'01 Cali ECUs being interchangeable.

Originally Posted by Luquire
Holy Crap batman..that is a lot of different setups. Im sorry for all the 99 maximas
Old 11-04-2003 | 09:12 AM

Ah thats interesting to see. Not argueing with you in anyway that there arent 500 models for the 99s lol..However what is standard in each and every model is the engine control coding. Power seat options and stuff might add a wire to the harness..but how would that affect the actually coding for the engine. I highly doubt it changes it at all, unless nissan bumped up the hp a little to cover the heavy seats. Its also interesting that my maxima...production of 3/99 isnt even listed. Looks like those 99's with a 98 production date can have any ecu..lol. But perhaps nissan started using one ecu for the various models except for those cali spec, fed spec, tcs...in 99 thus those maximas produced in 99 have the same ecu. Maybe even better as you stated is that an 00 ecu would work in a 99...perhaps the later ones it will work on such as mine.
Guess my point is power seats or not.......heated mirrors or not. Engine coding is the same..and thats what the nissan tech I talked to was saying.
Old 11-04-2003 | 09:39 AM

Yeah...that list is probably not 100% accurate and definitely not complete. I think it's a work in progress.

The manual/auto, Fed/Cali, and TCS/nonTCS source code will be different, so you can't mix those for sure. GXE, SE, GLE is most likely just limiters and will be eliminated anyways.

As for power seats, production dates, etc., it just adds ANOTHER thing that can complicate things, but most likely will just cause the CEL to remain lit like the '97s running a '95-96 ECU. A few wires being different in the harness/connector can be figured out and fixed, but it's just not going to be for the wiring faint-hearted types. The sensor types or additional/missing circuits are the MAIN concerns I'd be looking into to see how similar the ECUs could be.

Ah thats interesting to see. Not argueing with you in anyway that there arent 500 models for the 99s lol..However what is standard in each and every model is the engine control coding. Power seat options and stuff might add a wire to the harness..but how would that affect the actually coding for the engine. I highly doubt it changes it at all, unless nissan bumped up the hp a little to cover the heavy seats. Its also interesting that my maxima...production of 3/99 isnt even listed. Looks like those 99's with a 98 production date can have any ecu..lol. But perhaps nissan started using one ecu for the various models except for those cali spec, fed spec, tcs...in 99 thus those maximas produced in 99 have the same ecu. Maybe even better as you stated is that an 00 ecu would work in a 99...perhaps the later ones it will work on such as mine.
Guess my point is power seats or not.......heated mirrors or not. Engine coding is the same..and thats what the nissan tech I talked to was saying.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:33 AM

Yep I completelly understand. I'm willing to get a spare 99 ecu..to send out if you want to have technosquare take a look.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:46 AM

Let's see if we can get a 2K done first.

TS already has a '99 customer that's interested, so once we get the 2K ECU done, he can test it probably.

Yep I completelly understand. I'm willing to get a spare 99 ecu..to send out if you want to have technosquare take a look.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:48 AM

Sounds good...wow if I can use a 2k ecu.......that means I can get the variable intake to work to.................wait I dont have time to figure all that out..nevermind. Waiting for results :L)
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:55 AM

Good point!

VIAS is controlled via ECU.

Sounds good...wow if I can use a 2k ecu.......that means I can get the variable intake to work to.................wait I dont have time to figure all that out..nevermind. Waiting for results :L)
Old 11-08-2003 | 11:56 AM

any updates Ice?
Old 11-08-2003 | 08:45 PM

Nothing really.

Got BOTH ECUs back in the US, but TS has been too busy to have a look at either yet.

HOPEFULLY, next week, we'll hear more.
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:14 PM

Nothing really.

Got BOTH ECUs back in the US, but TS has been too busy to have a look at either yet.

HOPEFULLY, next week, we'll hear more.
You can add me to the list . . . but judging from the poll, I am in the minority with a 2k fed spec 5spd.
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:07 AM

I guess my name can come off the list now..
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:10 AM

What name?

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
I guess my name can come off the list now..
Old 11-15-2003 | 08:30 AM

Newbie here

I am 99% sure I can buy one but im kinda a newbie here, uhh, is there a simple way I can figure out if I my 2k Maxima is Federal or California spec?
Old 11-15-2003 | 02:12 PM

It sould say somewere on the bottom side of your hood if your federal emission spec or not. You can also look directly in front of your motor, above the exhaust manifold by the radiator. There are either 2 plugs (if your Fed) or there 4 plugs (cali) running to your o2's. If this somehow confuses you, then damnit I dont know
Old 11-16-2003 | 11:45 AM
teddibear703

did technosquasre find a donator? I'm in cali w/ a cali spec 00. If they need a car, i may be able to donate... let me know...
Old 11-18-2003 | 11:50 PM

Ya guys can put me on the list, I'am a cali-spec auto with a few mods.

Look below for mods.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2003 | 10:25 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Ice/Cheston,

Is there an update to the status of a 2000 ECU for the Cali Spec Manual?
Old 11-20-2003 | 10:06 PM

Hey.. I don't mean to throw a wrinkle in the mix here.. but is there a way to get this done as a piggy back?
Can someone get there hands on a piggy back from JWT 96 ECU..
Send it to them... have them download the code.. modify it for ours.. and piggy back it.. then no reprogramming our ECU.. no need for spare.. and you can still do TSB upgrades...
I think this would be a better seller then just reprogramming entire ECU.. atleast piggy back and be removed...

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2003 | 08:13 AM

As far as I know, JWT ECUs are reprogrammed stock ECUs or have an additional daughter board soddered to them, at least the ones I've seen. That's NOT a piggy-back.

Piggy-backs are limited in how much they can "trick" the stock ECU into doing before the ECU flips out. The only way to have REAL control over the engine is through a stand along(big $$$). However, for limited control, you modify the open-loop A/F and timing maps stored in the stock ECU like TS is doing. This leaves all the OEM safeguards/closed-loop/startup/warm-up control in place. Piggy-backs are for FINE tuning during open-loop.

eManage seems to be taking piggy-backs to the next level, so this may change shortly.

Originally Posted by twotone
Hey.. I don't mean to throw a wrinkle in the mix here.. but is there a way to get this done as a piggy back?
Send it to them... have them download the code.. modify it for ours.. and piggy back it.. then no reprogramming our ECU.. no need for spare.. and you can still do TSB upgrades...
I think this would be a better seller then just reprogramming entire ECU.. atleast piggy back and be removed...

Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2003 | 07:39 AM

I'm in. are these available yet? I have 01 Cali Auto
Old 11-24-2003 | 12:50 PM

Not yet...should be finding out more VERY very soon.

I'll add you to the list.

Originally Posted by sighere
I'm in. are these available yet? I have 01 Cali Auto
Old 11-24-2003 | 10:06 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Not yet...should be finding out more VERY very soon.

I'll add you to the list.
can't wait
Old 11-25-2003 | 08:05 AM

Me either.

Damn 2K2+ guys are having all the fun.

At least the two or three that have it.

Originally Posted by Larrio
can't wait
Old 11-25-2003 | 08:51 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Me either.

Damn 2K2+ guys are having all the fun.

At least the two or three that have it.

lol... so i guess that means only you and I will be the 2k1 owners that have it also?

if I can't afford it, at least i'll have it during the tuning stages.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:01 PM

Ice - What about merely changing the rev limiter?

I'd be willing to bet that merely changing the rev limiter on the dek would make a substantial difference in 1/4 mile e.t. and mph.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by twotone

Just a thought.
It's out there, you just have to pay a lot for it. You can get the Program - which is a piggy back unit that changes all ECU values. The only problem is that it is expensive to tune.

I ALMOST went this way, but couldn't be guaranteed by the shop I contacted that they could raise the rev-limiter. The only way to find out was to try since they hadn't done a Maxima before.

I'm sure that if some group got together, you might be able to make a deal with a tuner to do a certain number of vehicles for a certain price.

If I recall, it was in the neighborhood of 600 for the unit and 600 to tune with no results guaranteed because no one had done one on a 5th gen max before. I seem to recall some dyno numbers for a 4th gen - but questioned them.

Ultimately, I decided that 1200 wasn't worth it and the cash would be better spent on FI - which I never did.

Quick Reply: $$$$$$$$$2K-2K1 Owners with $600 CASH-IN-HAND ready for TechnoSquare ECU?$$$$$$$$$$$$