5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question for GLE Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 01:31 AM
mgold07

GLE Owners: What are some of your favorite things about the GLE? (The little things) And what are some of your pet peeves about the car (if any)? Thanks!

Old 02-17-2001, 08:07 AM

I'll just do the cons since the list is shorter.

-wish it had the 17" wheel/tire option
-needs a seperate outside temperature/compass display

All the rest I love

-power
-engine sound
-ride/handling balance
-looks
-stereo sound
-comfy
-brakes
-engine smoothness
-front clear corners
-headlight illumination
-foglights
-other features

Old 02-17-2001, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
I'll just do the cons since the list is shorter.

-needs a seperate outside temperature/compass display

Like around where the front reading light is would be nice. Like on fords.
Old 02-17-2001, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the chrome.

Mark
Old 02-17-2001, 11:43 AM

GLE owner

2K Sterling Mist GLE loaded is model I have. Only beefs are:

1)missing steering audio controls that 2001 models have
2)17 inch wheels would have liked
3)my model has the 9 spoke mags, later 2K models came with 5 spokes...
4)passenger front auto raised window, like I30 would have been nice
5)I'm a smoker, & had to shell out $65.009Cdn.) for ashtray/lighter kit(plus cost of installation)
6)live in Montreal Canada(snow-hell) find light gray carpeting hard to maintain, plus nap is not very thick
7)would be nice to have door pockets in doors in backseat

all the above though does not detract that my 2KGLE Max is by far best car I've ever had....
Old 02-17-2001, 12:10 PM

Re: GLE owner

Originally posted by mregenst
2K Sterling Mist GLE loaded is model I have. Only beefs are:

1)missing steering audio controls that 2001 models have
2)17 inch wheels would have liked
3)my model has the 9 spoke mags, later 2K models came with 5 spokes...
4)passenger front auto raised window, like I30 would have been nice
5)I'm a smoker, & had to shell out $65.009Cdn.) for ashtray/lighter kit(plus cost of installation)
6)live in Montreal Canada(snow-hell) find light gray carpeting hard to maintain, plus nap is not very thick
7)would be nice to have door pockets in doors in backseat

all the above though does not detract that my 2KGLE Max is by far best car I've ever had....
Yeah, mine has the 9 spokes too. I bought mines way early, and the only 5 spoke GLE (The very first one they got in) had a sunroof, which i didnt want.
Old 02-17-2001, 02:15 PM

I like the extra pocket behind the passenger seat and as cheesy as it is, the woodgrain inside. For some reason, it does make the inside a little "warmer feeling". I like the standard Bose system. I don't think I have any dislikes.
Old 02-17-2001, 10:19 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I had the nine spoke too...

Then I managed to get the dealer to swap for about $400. I went back about 1 1/2 months later and someone had special ordered the 5 spoke on a GXE, then backed out of the deal. They could not sell the GXE because they wanted 1600 extra for the wheels.

Seeing I was pretty pissed I didnt get them (they told me it was 3 months off in 6/99 and they got a GLE in with them the next week), they told me they had $400 in them and if I would pay to have the tires swaped (my tires on the new rims, so the new car kept new tires) that I could have them! so I did. $400 to them and $40 for the tire place. yeah, sucks to have to pay for them, but I do like them.. Now I can look like all the other GLE's
Old 02-18-2001, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a Blue Pearl (w/ Frost interior) GLE. Like it a lot---strong acceleration yet smooth, less cookie cutter than the Accord and Camry. The HVAC and sound system controls are big, highly visible and easy to operate (especially compared with the Volkswagen Passat)

Some things bug me a little bit:

1) Don't know why they only have a pocket behind the front passenger seat and not the driver seat---wouldn't it be more symmetrical and add some extra utility for storing papers, maps? Wouldn't cost much to do.

2) The center rear seat is severely contoured, so that it's not very comfortable for the passenger in the center. While I rarely carry a full load, when one does, it would still be nice for all 3 rear seat passengers to be reasonably comfortable.

3) It's a bit of a reach to the remote side mirror control

Because I may have an early version (bought in August 1999), my car doesn't have the pre-installed hooks for child safety seats. Anyone know when these were included in the Maxima?
Old 02-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the fact that the GLE comes with most of the extras that Maxima offers. After reading some threads from SE and GXE owners who now want auto climate control, leather seats, chrome inside door levers or woodgrain trim, I'm glad I already have them.

What I don't like is the cheap looking 3rd tailight inside the rear window. An SE spoiler with its integrated light would look better.
Old 03-15-2001, 07:44 PM
Falcon

Picked up a 2001Max GLE 3 days ago.Sterling Mist with black leather. Includes rear spoiler. I traded my crappy 98 Max GXE for it. This car is a lot of fun to drive and very well built. I would have liked the 17" optional rims. I have one ***** and that's the leather seats. The sides and backs of the seats seem to be vinyl with only the "seating surfaces" in real leather. Someone tell me I'm wrong about this.

Old 03-15-2001, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by silverkris
I have a Blue Pearl (w/ Frost interior) GLE. Like it a lot---strong acceleration yet smooth, less cookie cutter than the Accord and Camry. The HVAC and sound system controls are big, highly visible and easy to operate (especially compared with the Volkswagen Passat)

Some things bug me a little bit:

1) Don't know why they only have a pocket behind the front passenger seat and not the driver seat---wouldn't it be more symmetrical and add some extra utility for storing papers, maps? Wouldn't cost much to do.

2) The center rear seat is severely contoured, so that it's not very comfortable for the passenger in the center. While I rarely carry a full load, when one does, it would still be nice for all 3 rear seat passengers to be reasonably comfortable.

3) It's a bit of a reach to the remote side mirror control

Because I may have an early version (bought in August 1999), my car doesn't have the pre-installed hooks for child safety seats. Anyone know when these were included in the Maxima?
Dealer hooked me up w/ 1 for free.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Magellan
I like the fact that the GLE comes with most of the extras that Maxima offers. After reading some threads from SE and GXE owners who now want auto climate control, leather seats, chrome inside door levers or woodgrain trim, I'm glad I already have them.

What I don't like is the cheap looking 3rd tailight inside the rear window. An SE spoiler with its integrated light would look better.
My third brake light is integrated in my spoiler. Did the spoiler come with the car, or was it a dealer add on?
Old 03-16-2001, 08:57 AM

GLE pros and cons

I have a 2000 GLE with the 5 spoke rims. The best things about the GLE are:

5 spoke rims. I would like 17's, but I think the 5 spokes look better.
Chrome interior door handles - this is the best.
Wood accents on console & all doors - this is cool too.
Leather shift **** and steering wheel - like the SE's.
I personally like the black gauges as opposed to the white.
The standard features like leather, ATC, BOSE. The BOSE is the nuggets.
I like the GLE and GXE taillights - don't like the SE's.
Foglights - like the SE's.
I am very picky about rattles and such, so the softer ride of the GLE is better for that (I hope).

Cons:
I wish sometimes I had a spoiler, and the CHMSL is a bit cheesy looking.
I wish I had a limited slip front end.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:58 AM

I love my 2kGLE, but I totally agree with you all who wanted the 17 wheel option, that's why I'm getting a new set (Borbet type T w/ DunlopSP5000) very nice!

I have to wait to get the wheels shipped from Germany...May! ugh...

The rear spoiler thing is also a possibility after I get the new wheels, but I'm not sure though...
Old 03-24-2001, 06:25 PM

When I traded in my '97 Maxima for a 2001, I had a tough time deciding between the SE and the GLE. I liked the looks of the SE with the rear spoiler and 17" wheel/tire package, but I liked the "warmer" interior of the GLE with it's wood trim (although fake). I also felt that the ride/handling combo of the GLE was more to my liking than the stiffer SE.

I settled on a black on black GLE with a FACTORY rear spoiler and every option (traction control, 6-disc CD changer, heated seats, sunroof, side airbags, etc).

I couldn't have been happier with my decision. The car is beautiful, and I would never consider another Maxima without a spoiler. Several high-points include:

* Almost flawless workmanship
* Smooth, powerful, efficient engine
* Quiet
* Very good steering/handling
* Classy, roomy interior
* Excellent Bose sound system
* Powerful brakes

As far as nit-picking goes, I do have a few:

* Front center arm-rest and cup-holder cover feel very
cheap
* 17" tire/wheel option would be nice (although the 16's
look pretty good)
* Minor air-leak from a rear window
* Separate power outlet for cell phone would be nice
(such as in the current Altima)
* Shifting from auto trans could use improvement

Overall, an excellent car, and probably the best in it's class...don't even compare it to Camry and Accord!
Old 03-24-2001, 06:32 PM

agreed, the Camry & Accord don't come close to my Max..
(I know, my wife has a 2k Accord Special edition-4 cylinder)