5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I got WARNING ticket for my exhaust... please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:56 PM
LithiuMax

Eh, an OEM exhaust is silent. An aftermarket exhaust that isn't too loud, such as what I have (PowerTech PT1012 muffler and nothing else) sounds very good. So going everything-but-the-kitchen-sink to OEM isn't an end all solution to his problem.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I personally have a resonator on my car (3.0) and with the magnaflow I still cant stand how much it drones at the low rpms (1500-1800) damn mirror is shaking. Ive been at the point of throwing my OEM muffler back on for a while now, just cant find time damnit.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the support guys. I realized that the OEM muffler is pretty good. IIRC, it also has variable output air-flow. I heard someone putting a big loud exhaust and after going for a dyno, he actually lost some power (hp), either in the low end of high end. I think it was low end. This also means you're gonna have less mpg in the low end as well.

~limsandy
Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Thanks for the support guys. I realized that the OEM muffler is pretty good. IIRC, it also has variable output air-flow. I heard someone putting a big loud exhaust and after going for a dyno, he actually lost some power (hp), either in the low end of high end. I think it was low end. This also means you're gonna have less mpg in the low end as well.

~limsandy
VERY true. The day I got my muffler thrown on it felt like I lost some low end on the car. If I can feel it on the butt dyno, you better belive its gonna show on the actual test. As for mileage, I have pretty much the worst from what ive seen here. I do pretty much 90% street driving and im going about 245-250 on each tank now. This is actually better then what I was pulling in the summer were I was filling up every 225-230miles.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:13 AM

my exhaust is not that loud like hondas, acuras... you guys dont use the word "rice" if dont know how is my exhaust. The people they say that i have a nice exhaust. If i'll get a new muffler i'll get a magnaflow. I dont want to put the resonator because i'll lose some power (several mechanics told me). I put my silencer in my muffler (it is very good and no noise at all). Several guys from here try to be smart (my a** smart) and they dont help (a lot of members say this)... not only in my thread... thanks for any help!! I will go to the DMV today or tomorrow! thanks again...
Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 AM

Did u get the problem fixed? If not I'll lend u my factory exhaust gimme a call if u need it
Old 10-28-2003, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CTmax02
Did u get the problem fixed? If not I'll lend u my factory exhaust gimme a call if u need it
THANKS a lot man!!!! I will let you know... i'll go to DMV soon!!! THANKS again!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 AM

how loud is it? you only have a muffler on it --- that's cold thay must be giving all the harle y's in your town tickets then
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by subdocmax
how loud is it? you only have a muffler on it --- that's cold thay must be giving all the harle y's in your town tickets then
Well...he has a Ypipe on it, w/o a resonator and a straight through muffler. You do the math
Old 10-28-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Well...he has a Ypipe on it, w/o a resonator and a straight through muffler. You do the math
o i was gonna say...but seriously i cant stand those fast and furious ricers, there is nothing better than a deep sounding exhaust....dont settle with buying a cheap fart can....those things will crap out in a year and ull start sounding like a honda....seriously man its a warning and if u just put the silencer on the cop who checks it wont know the difference...dont waste ur money buying a oem muffler or fart can....this is a max for Gods sake...people who put cheap parts on their car are looking for price not quality and maybe they should try out for the next fast and furious sell out movie...go jump a bridge...thats my 2 cents
Old 10-28-2003, 12:15 PM

. Flame me as much as you want but seems to me that 95% of this guys threads are worthless. "filled my tank today, can I beat my neighboorkids' tricycle?" or "Adjusted my lumbar support, pics included, what do you think?"
Old 10-28-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by nocsyn
o i was gonna say...but seriously i cant stand those fast and furious ricers, there is nothing better than a deep sounding exhaust....dont settle with buying a cheap fart can....those things will crap out in a year and ull start sounding like a honda....seriously man its a warning and if u just put the silencer on the cop who checks it wont know the difference...dont waste ur money buying a oem muffler or fart can....this is a max for Gods sake...people who put cheap parts on their car are looking for price not quality and maybe they should try out for the next fast and furious sell out movie...go jump a bridge...thats my 2 cents

down with the ricers
Old 10-28-2003, 02:16 PM

I just came from the DMV (with my silencer on it) and the guy told "you have to put your factory exhaust on it" so CTmax02 he lives near to me he'll give me for a couple days his factory exhaust (THANK YOU!!!)... and they also said "you have to put your factory side markers on your car" i was like "WTF?" They are very idi*ts motherf**kers... i dont understand one thing why i have to put my factory exhaust on it? I have my silencer that it helps a lot (NO NOISE at all)...
why? you can find a lot of muffler shops that you can buy quiet aftermarket exhaust... this is illegal too? let's say that my OEM muffler has a problem... and i dont want to spend all my money to buy a factory exhaust... i go to the muffler shop for an aftermarket exhaust... WTF?

thanks CTmax02 for the help!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:22 PM

Like the old saying goes "YOU GET WHAT U PAY FOR!"
What do you expect from a $100 muffler- then again I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Maxima w/
a y pipe w/out Resonator (as if it was some sort of
hot rod or something
Old 10-28-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Like the old saying goes "YOU GET WHAT U PAY FOR!"
What do you expect from a $100 muffler- then again I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Maxima w/
a y pipe w/out Resonator (as if it was some sort of
hot rod or something
You know something buddy? Why i have to spend $600 for catback? if i can spend $250 for nice exhaust system... and i think is nicer than onther exhaust out there... my friend has a civic and he got a greddy exhaust for $650 and it sucks!! many people said that my exhaust is nicer... i'll say it one more time "i am not a rich boy" so magnaflow muffler is bad? you can get it for $150 and you will have a nice deep sound... powertech muffler samething!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mille_3
. Flame me as much as you want but seems to me that 95% of this guys threads are worthless. "filled my tank today, can I beat my neighboorkids' tricycle?" or "Adjusted my lumbar support, pics included, what do you think?"
dont forget "my butt has a rash, pics included"

Maybe he likes to share his life with maxima.org.... and as long as his is on topic, he has the right.... Dont read his posts if you dont like him..
Old 10-28-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
You know something buddy? Why i have to spend $600 for catback? if i can spend $250 for nice exhaust system... and i think is nicer than onther exhaust out there... my friend has a civic and he got a greddy exhaust for $650 and it sucks!! many people said that my exhaust is nicer... i'll say it one more time "i am not a rich boy" so magnaflow muffler is bad? you can get it for $150 and you will have a nice deep sound... powertech muffler samething!!
Chill dude- The cop pulled u over cause your car is annoyingly/extremely loud-
(i'm sure they dont spend the day pulling over Stangs/camaro's)

I've heard the magnaflow/powertech on stock exhaust and its loud- and in your stiation u have a y and no res- so it must be loud as hell- and no it doesnt sound civic-ish so chill

If you put the resonator back on it will tone it down and give you a mellower/deeper tone- The mecanic that told you u would lose power is talkin
out of his asz- he obviously doesnt know our cars variable intake/exhaust- where the more backpressure u lose the more torque u lose-
Old 10-28-2003, 07:40 PM

I just came from the DMV (with my silencer on it) and the guy told "you have to put your factory exhaust on it" so CTmax02 he lives near to me he'll give me for a couple days his factory exhaust (THANK YOU!!!)... and they also said "you have to put your factory side markers on your car" i was like "WTF?" They are very idi*ts motherf**kers... i dont understand one thing why i have to put my factory exhaust on it? I have my silencer that it helps a lot (NO NOISE at all)...
why? you can find a lot of muffler shops that you can buy quiet aftermarket exhaust... this is illegal too? let's say that my OEM muffler has a problem... and i dont want to spend all my money to buy a factory exhaust... i go to the muffler shop for an aftermarket exhaust... WTF?

thanks CTmax02 for the help!!!
wow was i wrong.....well if u lived in pa the cops wouldnt care....but ummm yea ct blows....just move and get it over with now.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:08 PM

i'll say it one more time "i am not a rich boy"!!

Okay, we hear you. I might have a solution for you then. Have you ever considered selling your Maxima? It's still worth like 21k for your 2003. Then use the money to get a brand new Civic (17k). See, you still have about $4000 left which you can use to get very nice exhaust system with 50 hp increase and deep sound (not ricey)

~limsandy
Old 10-28-2003, 09:56 PM

This is an interesting discussion. In some state have laws exist for a reason. There are two probable reason why they have those laws. One of them can be due to emission that doesn't not conform to emission certification or for those of you in California, SMOG testing. The second probable reason is the nosie nussiance. Those are fairly common since it depends on how loud is it and where especially in neighborhood are not a very good idea to have a car with loud exhaust noise. You could wake people or even startle people peace of quiet. I would ask the DMV more specific information what those laws are.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:58 PM

just i dont understand why an aftermarket exhaust is illegal... thats all!! If i put the factory muffler my car will be quiet with a y and b pipe witn no resonator?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:06 PM

just i dont understand why an aftermarket exhaust is illegal... thats all!! If i put the factory muffler my car will be quiet with a y and b pipe witn no resonator?
Will it be quiter yes, but you will have some weird grinding metallic type of noise from your exhaust, only under heavy acceleration so you should hear it all the time. Ive had that setup be4, its pretty quiet but the noist it makes at WOT is pretty nasty.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Okay, we hear you. I might have a solution for you then. Have you ever considered selling your Maxima? It's still worth like 21k for your 2003. Then use the money to get a brand new Civic (17k). See, you still have about $4000 left which you can use to get very nice exhaust system with 50 hp increase and deep sound (not ricey)

~limsandy
No thanks!!! Im fine with my MAXIMA!! When i was little kids my dream was one day to drive a nice and fast car... and this is my MAXIMA and i LOVE it... i dont care if im broke just I LOVE MY MAXIMA!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:12 PM

Will it be quiter yes, but you will have some weird grinding metallic type of noise from your exhaust, only under heavy acceleration so you should hear it all the time. Ive had that setup be4, its pretty quiet but the noist it makes at WOT is pretty nasty.
1) I'll go in the morning to my mechanic to put my factory muffler... 2) i'll go to the DMV... 3) i'll go to my mechanic again to put back my exhaust...
Old 10-28-2003, 11:19 PM

1) I'll go in the morning to my mechanic to put my factory muffler... 2) i'll go to the DMV... 3) i'll go to my mechanic again to put back my exhaust...
Why even waste the $, just get a damn resonator man. Oh I give up with you, I guess we are now waiting for your post a month from now saying I just got pulled over by the same cop guys, not what do I do
Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 PM

Why even waste the $, just get a damn resonator man. Oh I give up with you, I guess we are now waiting for your post a month from now saying I just got pulled over by the same cop guys, not what do I do
I might put a resonator... but this cop he didn't give a WARNING me for a loud exhaust... he gave me for an aftermarket exhaust!!!! thats why im confused...
I said i was put my silencer (it works like resonator if not better) and they said "NO... put your factory exhaust"
Old 10-28-2003, 11:30 PM

I might put a resonator... but this cop he didn't give a WARNING me for a loud exhaust... he gave me for an aftermarket exhaust!!!! thats why im confused...
I said i was put my silencer (it works like resonator if not better) and they said "NO... put your factory exhaust"
Probably bullsh!t, as long as its not anoying loud its should matter much. As posted be4, most likey some oldschool cop messing with you.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:38 PM

Probably bullsh!t, as long as its not anoying loud its should matter much. As posted be4, most likey some oldschool cop messing with you.
He was an old cop... im really surprise because i drive all the time from this town and i never had a problem with my exhaust!!! It is strange for me "warning ticket for an aftermarket exhaust" you know what i mean... is not fair! I would like a $78 ticket... it would be better for me than a warning!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:01 AM
It's chrome alright...

He was an old cop... im ing!
no, if you got a ticket you'd STILL have to replace the muffler so you'd just be adding $78 onto anything you're already doing...the warning is better

Have you gone to the library and investigated the ACTUAL LAWS in your state? Or, since we have THE INTERNET, have you looked up online what's legal and what's not?

---
You have two choices... either believe the cops and swap all the stuff and they win. Or, know the laws, show them the laws, and show them your car complies with the laws. If they still refuse then you'll have to decide if it's worth fighting their illegal requirements, but fighting it in court is cheaper than replacing your stuff, and it's free if you do it yourself.

SO...

According to Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of Connecticut's DMV regulations say NOTHING about the equipment and only describe the acceptable noise levels... they even say "DMV Regulations for 'Glass Pack Mufflers' ... is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation."

So, if they say "glass pack mufflers" can be legal if they pass the noise test, then obviously all aftermarket exhaust systems are not illegal.

Also, as to your lights... "Any motor vehicle equipped wth after market lighting, other than supplied by the manufacturer, must comply with certain regulations for the State of Connecticut. As specified in Sections 14-137-100 through 14-137-104 of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Regulations manual.

"Any light visible from a motor vehicle should be the following:

- Any light visible from the front of the vehicle shall be white, yellow or amber.
- Any light visible from the forward most edge of the rear tire of the vehicle to the front of the vehicle shall be amber or yellow.
- Any light visible from the forward most edge of the rear tire of the vehicle to the rear of the vehicle shall be red.
- Any light visible from the rear of the vehicle shall be red or amber. (Effective July 25, 1994)"

If your lights comply with that, you're legal.

You can read all this stuff for yourself right here:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/mvregs.pdf
Old 10-29-2003, 06:13 AM
Got Bent?

Enough!@@!@