5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did I get a LEMON???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:13 AM

Did I get a LEMON???

I bought a 2000 Maxima GLE with 33k miles about a month ago from a late model used car dealer. I do like the car a lot but i have been having trouble with it. So far since I bought it it has had:
  • ECU reprogramed by Nissan for 0420 code
  • had the trans looked at for slipping TSB but nothing done
  • yesterday when stopped at a stop sign I went to merge and the trans sat there and slipped for 2-3 seconds before it grabbed and jerked me into traffic
  • and today I get in and the HVAC blower is gone...
Since I bought the car at a used dealer I am under warranty with them (for 90 days 3750 miles) and Nissan powertrain. Do you think I am lucky because I am covered under dealer warranty and able to get these things fixed without charge or do I have a Lemon I need to dump???

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 05:52 AM

i dont think you have the nissan powertrain anymore..since it is 3 years or 36k and it has been more then 3 years since your ride has been on the road, but good luck to you anyhow
Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 AM
Ben

Powertrain is 5 year/60K miles.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ben
Powertrain is 5 year/60K miles.
Opinions???

I am getting stuff fixed for free and it is good that this is happening now and not 6 months, but jeez, it doesn't give me a good feeling...
Old 10-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by nhokt
Opinions???

I am getting stuff fixed for free and it is good that this is happening now and not 6 months, but jeez, it doesn't give me a good feeling...
It sucks that the HVAC blower went out, however, that is not likely connected to anything.
On the other hand, I would make VERY sure the tranmission was taken care of right away.
The transission may just need to be flushed and filled.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:25 AM

isn't it only considered a lemon if u have to take it in for the SAME thing three times within a certain amount of time? something like that?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 AM

I wonder if you got my old pos GLE. J/K! Really, I wish I kept that thing instead I traded up (or down) to a pos 2k2 6spd. I think they were just both as bad though. Both trans s##k that's for sure. Good luck getting your car fixed.

I bought a 2000 Maxima GLE with 33k miles about a month ago from a late model used car dealer. I do like the car a lot but i have been having trouble with it. So far since I bought it it has had:
  • ECU reprogramed by Nissan for 0420 code
  • had the trans looked at for slipping TSB but nothing done
  • yesterday when stopped at a stop sign I went to merge and the trans sat there and slipped for 2-3 seconds before it grabbed and jerked me into traffic
  • and today I get in and the HVAC blower is gone...
Since I bought the car at a used dealer I am under warranty with them (for 90 days 3750 miles) and Nissan powertrain. Do you think I am lucky because I am covered under dealer warranty and able to get these things fixed without charge or do I have a Lemon I need to dump???

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by skandalouz
isn't it only considered a lemon if u have to take it in for the SAME thing three times within a certain amount of time? something like that?
Yeah, to officially be classified as a lemon it has to be 3 times for the same thing within the 90 days. I guess I am just worried and was looking for opinions. If it looks like I have a problem on my hands I can start looking for a way to get out of the purchase, because it was bought from a dealer I do have some rights...

Or should I just be happy that I am getting a bunch of stuff done for free, what do you think???
Old 10-28-2003, 06:38 AM
NT2SHBBY

Yeah, to officially be classified as a lemon it has to be 3 times for the same thing within the 90 days. I guess I am just worried and was looking for opinions. If it looks like I have a problem on my hands I can start looking for a way to get out of the purchase, because it was bought from a dealer I do have some rights...

Or should I just be happy that I am getting a bunch of stuff done for free, what do you think???

it cannot be classified as a lemon for the simple fact that your car is 4 years old now, for it to be a lemon it has to be under a year old and in the shop more than 5 times for the same problem or major multiple problems

bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it or take them to small claims

Old 10-28-2003, 06:41 AM

nhokt- your car came with 60k mi/5yr powertrain warranty. A tranny slip would be covered, an HVAC blower-not. A dealer gave you his own 90 day warranty, but not bumber-to-bumper wtty...it is really of no value since you already got Nissan's powertrain wtty on your car. If you plan on keeping the car, purchase an entended transferrable warranty that would cover EVERYTHING. Act now before you rack on miles. Go to a reputable Nissan dealer and have your tranny fixed. good luck
Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 AM

Tranny will be fixed with Selonoid/TCM replacement. Had it done on my 2k and it fixed the problem, not sure on the blower. Mine didn't turn on once then it came on right afterwards, not sure....
Old 10-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
in the shop more than 5 times for the same problem or major multiple problems

bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it or take them to small claims
its not 5 times...
my friend had a POS mustang and it was at the shop 3 times for the same problem...and Ford bought it back
i think it 3 times..
and there has to be somthing for this guy..that sucks about you car man...
take it to a small claims court
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BLKMAX005SPD
its not 5 times...
my friend had a POS mustang and it was at the shop 3 times for the same problem...and Ford bought it back
i think it 3 times..
and there has to be somthing for this guy..that sucks about you car man...
take it to a small claims court
The lemon laws most likely vary state to state.

The only thing i have found so far is that the car turned out to be off lease but they did not check that box on the purchase form they filled out and we both signed...
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 AM

Ford stands behind their cars and owners; Nissan does not give a crap about their cars and owners after the purchase! Sadly, I know first hand from dealing with both manufactures on problem cars…..
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 AM

All the above mentioned is normal. Get ready for your ignition coils next...........I think my blower motor is starting to go again
Old 10-28-2003, 09:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the probs with your car. In MA there is some protection under the lemon law for used cars.

http://www.state.ma.us/consumer/Pubs/lem.htm

Good luck with your car