5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FrankenCAR Recieved and Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 01:43 PM

FrankenCAR Recieved and Installed!!!

Limited Gunmetal with Apex'i filter.

It only took about 3 weeks for it to arrive at my door. Me and a friend installed it (took about 2 hours--we're car-modding virgins). Everything went well except for the bracket mount, which won't fit. I'm going to try bending it later. My friend also installed the bracket mount closest to the throttle body with the screw too far forward, so when I tried to drive the car, it stopped the throttle and the pedal would only move about 2 cm. Well we figured that one out pretty quick, and rotated the bracket.

Now that the car is working properly, I must say HOLY SH*T THAT THING SOUNDS DAAAAMMN NICE!!!!!!

****ing ROARS past 3500, or if I floor it, and I can drive my parents around without them hearing the beast (unless I'm passing on the highway, which I'm going to have to cut down on ).

DEFINITE increase in power/speed/torque/pull, it's absolutely insane that the intake could do that much. Needless to say I'm happy as a #*()&$ing clam, and would recommend this beast to any and all.

Currently the negative battery line is disconnected, I'm going to leave it off for 24-48 hours, depending on when I need the car, in order to reset the ECU and get rid of that g-ddamn SES light.

One question. I noticed that since I installed the FrankenCAR, the gas pedal is much stiffer, or resistent. Is this normal? Did I screw something up? I did hit the gas kind of hard when the bracket was blocking the throttle, but I don't think that'd do it. Also note that there is a definite increase in performance and everything, and the stiffer pedal isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just something I noticed. Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:03 PM

I just installed my frankencar about 1 - 1 1/2 months ago. Looks great and sounds even better. I haven't noticed any problems with the gas pedal. Still feels about the same as before the install but definitely more responsive. I, too, had to bend the bracket and twist the MAF tube to get it to fit. Some have mentioned a whistling noise which I haven't noticed. I do notice a slight whooshing sound, however, at low rpm's which actually sounds kinda cool. It goes away as rpm's rise.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2k1seae
I just installed my frankencar about 1 - 1 1/2 months ago. Looks great and sounds even better. I haven't noticed any problems with the gas pedal. Still feels about the same as before the install but definitely more responsive. I, too, had to bend the bracket and twist the MAF tube to get it to fit. Some have mentioned a whistling noise which I haven't noticed. I do notice a slight whooshing sound, however, at low rpm's which actually sounds kinda cool. It goes away as rpm's rise.
Mine whooshes, but it also hisses a little when moving, which sounds so ****ign badass its unexplainable. Like a turbo blow-off hiss, but lower and like 1/4 as audible, but u can definetly hear it. VERY cool stuff
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Banned

On Mine with an Injen CAI I have the whistling noise when I push about 1cm but nothing when I floor it!! (It's the TB that makes it) It do it when I accelerate from 50Mph with the Accel on cuirse control!! I can live with it(if somebody figures out How to make it disapears I will) but it make me laugh when one of my friend ask me if I SC'ed it!!

No problem with the gas pedal and the car has great response!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 02:44 PM

Help!!!

I received my Frankencar/Apexi intake a month or so ago, but a vacuum hose connection broke and I sent it back for refurbishing. Before sending it back and before the fracture, I never was successful at getting my car to run correctly. It ran normal when I reinstalled the stock set up, though.

Today, I finally reinstalled the refurbished intake and I'm having the same performance impairments. This time, I had two experienced helpers and we carefully, but effectively, cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Still, no improvements. I just wanted to throw this out there, before I get raped at the dealership tomorrow. I'm confident they're going to hit me up for a new MAF sensor. Lame...

Detailed symptoms: idles fine. typically revs up smoothly and symptom free when out of gear. struggles under strain. basically, it feels like it's choking on air when I increase demands on the engine. feels like it didn't recaliberate to modification.

I thirst for the results many others have gotten and hope to avoid ridiculous unnecessary "repairs."
Old 11-10-2003, 01:03 PM

Mine is the same way with the stillen intake on it some suggested an air leak look all around and nothing. So i am waiting on my frankencar intake for 2 weeks to see if that helps some also suggest reseting ECU I unplugged for an hour but that may not have been long enough!