5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car won't start/ turnover

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car won't start/ turnover

Hey everyone, looking for any advise anyone might have on why my car won't start. Just went out to start it about an hour ago after it sitting for two days and it won't turnover at all. I can hear the fuel pump kick in and the battery seems great because lights and everything are at full power, but when i turn the key all I get is the fuel pump kicking in and nothing else. No clicking, nothing turning over..............just nothing.......................any thoughts at all on what I can check or what could be causing this headache?????????????????????
Old 11-10-2003, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by wolf0
Hey everyone, looking for any advise anyone might have on why my car won't start. Just went out to start it about an hour ago after it sitting for two days and it won't turnover at all. I can hear the fuel pump kick in and the battery seems great because lights and everything are at full power, but when i turn the key all I get is the fuel pump kicking in and nothing else. No clicking, nothing turning over..............just nothing.......................any thoughts at all on what I can check or what could be causing this headache?????????????????????

Do your lights Dim when you turn the key? if so i would think your starter is getting power but may just be bad, or your batt is just too weak to turn the car over . Do you hear a Click from the starter solonoid at all? If your lights don't dim at all i would think its a problem with the netural safty switch. the max will start in netural . if you turn the key on and press the brake you can put the car in netural and give it a try.

good luck

hotrod
Old 11-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Banned

And if it's a stick, Maybe your clutch switch!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my Max wouldn't fire the other day as well. come to find out my positive battery cable had come loose and popped off.

could be your starter. or, just a tapped out battery.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tried everything, still won't start

tried all your advise but still nothing, it is an automatic by the way. I even tried changing the key thinking that the chip in the key some how got deprogrammed, but not a thing. Tried jump starting but still had the same effect. Tried the neutral deal and nothing. All I get when I turn the key is like a small whinning sound from the fuel filter, so that is working fine. Any other ideas, otherwise it is going to get towed to Nissan tomorrow.......maybe?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Banned

Look at all the wired that lead to your starter and go out of the batterie!! Got that on a 89 Z-24 (very bad comparaison)

Maybe one is cut!!!

Do you get a Tick-tick sound from the solenoid of the starter at least??

If so, bad soleinod!! Can tap on it to make it contact! Won't works all the time though.
If not, maybe a bad starter!!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Wild at Hurt

Make sure your acid is up to the level mark on ea of your battery cells. Take off the battery terminals and clean them. Check to see that the other end of the pos cable has a good connection (starter or starter relay), tighten bolt. Try tapping the starter with a wooden block or plastic hammer. This car could have a starter relay, dont know where to tell you to look.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:12 PM

Same thing happened to me yesterday and I had my car towed to my macanic and I just got it back. It was a starter problem so they replaced it now it sparks up great.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Probably it's your starter
Old 11-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will try tapping the starter tomorrow. As for the clicking from the solonoid, absolutly nothing, it is almost like the engine has been shutoff. Everything else works like it should, except when you turn the key ALL you hear is the fule pump, absolutley nothing from the engine itself except for the fuel pump cutting back out.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by wolf0

I posted this about a week ago, I don't know if it's the same problem though. Still don't know what's going on! :

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Maxima GLE with what seems to be the same problems in the new recall. My car won't turn on sometimes, it will turn off while driving it, or the power will just drop. I called Nissan to ask about it the day before yesterday and the girl told me that it was in the new recall, she told me to go ahead and take to a dealer to be fixed at no charge and that if I had any problems to call her back. Well I took it to the dealer yesterday and they told me that my car was not on the recall list because the recall was only for 2001-2003 maximas not the 2000, even thought I have the same problems. I went ahead and called Nissan back only to be tolled that my car was not in the recall list and that the girl that told me it was misinformed me. I almost got hit yesterday because my car turned off while driving it, but the guy in the back was able to stop in time. Has anybody else had this problem with the 2000 maxima or does anybody have any ideas on what I could do??? I've been trying to cantact the girl that I first talked to, but she seems to be away from her desk all day now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!