5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Run in with an STI Wrx

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 03:48 AM

Run in with an STI Wrx

I had an interesting experience with an STI. I was in central New Hampshire and was coming down a one lane section of a bypas and came up behind him. i saw all the badging on the back and was pretty curious so see this guy punch it. so i stayed behind him until we had two lane and then pulled along side of him. we rode side by side for atlest 2-3 miles with me having my car at 4000 rpms. i was just waiting for him to nail it and see what this thing was all about. i had gotten to the point where i said F it and then shifted up a gear. i kid you not as soon as i shifted he punched it and all you heard was the turbo spool up and his exhaust and he was gone. so i down shifted and caught right up now i knew he would play. so we lined up again and this time we took off at the same time. we both nailed it and quickly he pulled ahead but my front bumper was right next to his front door and as quickly as it had started he shifted to his next gear and as he did that i was able to catch up and we were side by side again for about 2 secs and then he pulled back up again to where my front bumper was around his front door. Being both suprised and excited we kept trying it for easily 20 mins. as we got to our respected exits gave him a little flash of the light to let him know i was giving him props and returned the favor and we were gone.

my thoughts on the whole thing. first what a sweet sounding car that is. secondly i know he was trying but im still not sure he pushed it as hard as he could have. the reason im saying this is i didnt think i had a chance in hell of even staying close. my only mod is a frankencar intake. thirdly he had boost gauges over his center console and i think it was def modified. if so im sure he let me stay close but if he was trying i pretty happy. gotta love the max
Old 11-11-2003, 03:56 AM

Again, Subaru not best TOP END car, but, he clearly has an advantage.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:14 AM

I'm not too surprised by your experience, especially with a 6 speed. I have a freind with a WRX and I have driven it numnerous times. I'm not too impressed with it's speed. He has driven my car and he thinks my car is faster. We have done a few quick runs an he never gets an advantage. I have an auto BTW. I have driven an STI and I can honestly say that the car is fast. It's still small and noisy. However, dollar for dollar, you can't deny the Max a place in the sport sedan market. Putting all gripes people have aside, the Max delivers performance, comfort, and style at a great price.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:26 PM

The STI is pretty close for the Max from a roll... its AWD is a drag at higher speeds, so that probly helped counteract his hp advantage. Good run tho! Just dont race one from a stop
Old 11-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Ben

Lots of the WRX's come factory with a boost gauge. Maybe that's just where they put it for an STI? Dunno. STI really should have an pretty strong advantage, even with your 6 speed. Maybe he was still breaking the car in, or just learning to drive a stick!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:43 PM

Subarus are not great on the highend, but that would put a WRX more in our league, not a 300 horsepower STI. I think that if he was trying he could smoke a maxima at the highend as well as from a dead start, rolling start, etc.

Some people don't try for some reason or they are too scared to push their car. I was in my mother's 2000 impreza auto (145 hp or so) a couple years back and somebody in a WRX (just after they came out I think) got in front of me on the highway. I wanted to see them really take off so I floored it but I managed to stay on their *** up to some decently high speeds because they just didn't have the gall to give their car the throttle it needed. How disapointing!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
Subarus are not great on the highend, but that would put a WRX more in our league, not a 300 horsepower STI. I think that if he was trying he could smoke a maxima at the highend as well as from a dead start, rolling start, etc.

Some people don't try for some reason or they are too scared to push their car. I was in my mother's 2000 impreza auto (145 hp or so) a couple years back and somebody in a WRX (just after they came out I think) got in front of me on the highway. I wanted to see them really take off so I floored it but I managed to stay on their *** up to some decently high speeds because they just didn't have the gall to give their car the throttle it needed. How disapointing!
Do you push your car just because some fool in camry wants to run?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:54 PM
JET Speed Lab

i walked away from an STi from a stop, havent found an EVO that wanted to play with me
Old 11-11-2003, 05:29 PM

STi's are a good bit quicker than Maximas. Chances are you ran into a poor driver. Just because they are AWD doesn't mean they are slow from a roll, you might want to look into what STi's trap stock.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:18 AM

I think they offer different gears for the WRX. The top end is pathetic for the power it has.

You know what, the diffs may not be able to handle 120+ mph speeds.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM
I miss the .org!

He's probably a sh!tty driver too...
Old 11-12-2003, 06:32 AM

lol.. probably still being broken in.. or most likely a sorry driver. I've been walked by STI's right out the box stock at the local track... 12.8 - 13.1 is the average times these guys are getting! I dont know about top end .. but from a stop these things are NO joke! i was ****ting bricks seeing mid 1 second 60 footers.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ToYLeT902
i walked away from an STi from a stop, havent found an EVO that wanted to play with me
I dont care what u got under the hood the 300hp AWD will walk you any time of the day no questions asked, especially off the line. Both EVO and STI will rip you a new one.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by xfirepwr1
I dont care what u got under the hood the 300hp AWD will walk you any time of the day no questions asked, especially off the line. Both EVO and STI will rip you a new one.
he's supercharged so from a roll he'd beat a stock sti or evo but from a stop if the driver drops the clutch he'll have no chance.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by quansung 2
he's supercharged so from a roll he'd beat a stock sti or evo but from a stop if the driver drops the clutch he'll have no chance.
He just said from a stop and even from a roll he does not stand a chance unless he is running both NOS and SC.
The only way he could walk on the guy is if the STI driver was a retard and did not know how to drive or didnt want to waste his gas.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:20 AM

I dont know why ppl are making the STI and EVO out to be the next best thing to sliced bread. They are nice quick cars, but ppl who buy these cars for the most part aren't always gonna want to beat on their cars. The mistake ppl make is under-estimating their comp, and not going b***s out, and then they get beat. Perfect example is when I pulled an S2000 out of the hole and beat him by couple cars to 70 a few weeks back.

In all my times going to GLD in Union Grove, out of about a dozen stock Evo's, I have only seen one break into 13's (13.88 at 100mph). Majority run mid 14's at 95+. AMS has a modded Evo doing mid 12's which is sick getting out of the hole. The only STI I have seen run ran a best of 15.0 at 92. Now granted, these guys are not the best drivers obviously, and they do need more seat time, but lets face it, on the street, you're not gonna line up at a light next to Mario Andretti.

STI's should run as quick as LSI F-Bodies mid 13's at 102, Evo's should run high 13's at 99-100. Nobody keeps their cars stock nowadays, but you still gotta know how to drive these cars, and willing to launch the hell out of it.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:05 AM

STI's should run as quick as LSI F-Bodies mid 13's at 102, Evo's should run high 13's at 99-100. Nobody keeps their cars stock nowadays, but you still gotta know how to drive these cars, and willing to launch the hell out of it.[/QUOTE]

U better believe it that u need to know how to drive those cars. that night that we were at the track I ran against my buddy's WRX and beat him twice but once he got the launching technique down he ran a 14.6 and then 14.4 his times were just getting better and better every time. I drove his car many times and it took me at least 10 tries to get that thing to launch right.
If you rev up the engine to 5kRPMS and just drop the clutch the car will litteraly feel like its dying and then pick up. You need to drop the clutch just right meaning lil slow at first and then drop it for it to take out like a bat out of a hole.
A lot of people dont know how to drive manuals and this is why they loose.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:11 AM

Perfect example is when I pulled an S2000 out of the hole and beat him by couple cars to 70 a few weeks back.

Man those S2000 are not that quick believe it or not, they are dogs off the hole (low torque) and then when the V-TEC kicks in they go. My sister boyfriend has one and I drove it few times and honestly off the line my max will eat it alive, after 50 or so now that is a different story, they pull like crazy. Handling wise they are great, man I was taking on and off ramps at 70 mph with no hesitation.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
JET Speed Lab

He just said from a stop and even from a roll he does not stand a chance unless he is running both NOS and SC.
The only way he could walk on the guy is if the STI driver was a retard and did not know how to drive or didnt want to waste his gas.
well im sure if the guy was a professional driver he would have beaten me, but there are alot of people who buy fast cars and dont know how to drive them. Sure he got me off the launch, but i launch my car very well and at the end of my 1st gear i caught up to him with no problem. A maxima runing in the 13's will surprise a lot of people
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 AM

well im sure if the guy was a professional driver he would have beaten me, but there are alot of people who buy fast cars and dont know how to drive them. Sure he got me off the launch, but i launch my car very well and at the end of my 1st gear i caught up to him with no problem. A maxima runing in the 13's will surprise a lot of people
Did u spray when u raced him?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 AM
JET Speed Lab

Did u spray when u raced him?
nope, i sold my nitrous a while ago.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 AM

nope, i sold my nitrous a while ago.
They guy must of have been a really poor driver, those STI's are beasts and many people dont know how to drive them.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 AM
JET Speed Lab

They guy must of have been a really poor driver, those STI's are beasts and many people dont know how to drive them.
yeah u can say that, their powerful, but nothing is unbeatable
Old 11-14-2003, 03:22 PM
nwapeep

Originally Posted by RichK
I'm not too surprised by your experience, especially with a 6 speed. I have a freind with a WRX and I have driven it numnerous times. I'm not too impressed with it's speed. He has driven my car and he thinks my car is faster. We have done a few quick runs an he never gets an advantage. I have an auto BTW. I have driven an STI and I can honestly say that the car is fast. It's still small and noisy. However, dollar for dollar, you can't deny the Max a place in the sport sedan market. Putting all gripes people have aside, the Max delivers performance, comfort, and style at a great price.
thats all about to change real soon with the 05 legacy