5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

That BG 44K injector cleaner WORKS WONDERS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:57 AM

Regarding the throttle body: I looked at it when I switched from the K&N to Apexi filter and I was amazed at how much gunk had built up. I plan on cleaning it every 10-15k. I have 30k on the car now and have only used the BG44k once and only noticed a slight difference in idle. Years upon years ago, I had a Hyundai Excel and no matter what fuel system cleaner I used, the car just ran like crap to include heavy hesitation. I went with a friend to a Toyota dealership and he sold me the BG44K and the results were just amazing.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fishhouse
what are you talking about? i thought you just poured it in your tank...like from the same place you put the fuel hose in. am i wrong?
I was refering to a Fuel Injection flush type of cleaner. The one in the tack works pretty well, but I unplug the Fuel pump and hook up a 12oz FI cleaner ro the fuel rail itself. You actually have to tap into it near the firewall, there is nowere else in the line that you can get into it. The just start her up, it will be running on the FI cleaner but it a lot faster then the kind you pour into the tank. Im going to be doing both though, just for the hell of it After I do it my way, im going to go full up and pour some cleaner in just to make sure everything is cleaned out.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I was refering to a Fuel Injection flush type of cleaner. The one in the tack works pretty well, but I unplug the Fuel pump and hook up a 12oz FI cleaner ro the fuel rail itself. You actually have to tap into it near the firewall, there is nowere else in the line that you can get into it. The just start her up, it will be running on the FI cleaner but it a lot faster then the kind you pour into the tank. Im going to be doing both though, just for the hell of it After I do it my way, im going to go full up and pour some cleaner in just to make sure everything is cleaned out.
Look on BG's site you will find everything you need to do a full fuel system cleaning, including the correct order to use each product. http://www.bgprod.com/bgprofessional.../autofuel.html
Old 11-15-2003, 08:46 AM

i checked out my local NAPA store yesterday...no luck. dude said he had never even heard of it before.

i used BG's site to find a local Ford dealership that sells it. try to pick some up soon...i'll let everyone know the results.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Very sound, Mike

That's odd that they don't carry it.

In any case, i've poured a bottle this morning before fill-up.

So far the car seems to be running about the same (just a touch under 36k miles now). I'll know for sure if this works after my second fill-up.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:34 PM

Keep us all posted with results
Old 11-15-2003, 02:58 PM

I buy a $8 can of Chevron FI cleaner and run it through my car after every oil change. Zero problems. I've also done this with the last few newer-model FI cars I've owned with no problems.

I never buy cheap convenience store gas. Could be all in my head, I've heard arguments for both. I'm willing to spend the extra 20 cents a gallon for my piece of mind.

I always put in Mobile 1 Synthetic oil.

I dunno...an ouce of prevention...

Tony
Old 11-15-2003, 03:12 PM
The Definitive AE Master

my mechanic just explained how this bg44k stuff works. Basically your fuel filter is what collects all the gunk between the fuel tank and the injectors. The fuel injection cleaner releases all the gunk on the fuel filter, letting it travel further down stream into the injectors, thus clogging it even more.

he recommend me not to use any "in tank" fuel injection cleaners.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:23 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Larrio
my mechanic just explained how this bg44k stuff works. Basically your fuel filter is what collects all the gunk between the fuel tank and the injectors. The fuel injection cleaner releases all the gunk on the fuel filter, letting it travel further down stream into the injectors, thus clogging it even more.

he recommend me not to use any "in tank" fuel injection cleaners.
interesting
now i'm not saying your mechanic is wrong. i know myself that i tend to believe my mechanics because i look at them like some sort of god that knwos the tricks of the trade.
my thing is this...i've been looking up and reading up on this product for about a week now. and EVERY site, EVERY forum, and EVERY person that's used it, has been beyond satisfied with the results. it's not even like i'm just saying "ok, maxima.org guys use it so i will" but it's just that when something works and everyone is happy with it, it's pretty hard to say that it just doesnt' work.

i'm sure it does breakdown some slush and grime and carbon build up, or else it wouldn't work (duh), but i think it would at least do it in a good way where one wouldn't worrya bout it damaging anything to the car. i dunno.
again, not saying he's wrong, but let's think about the many many many sites that praise the product, and the people that have seen their cars work wonders after popping it in. i would tend to lean that it does a positive job of cleaning up and clearing up everything in there w/out damaging other parts.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:00 PM

It doesn't release the gunk, it dissolves it almost completely.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:11 PM

OK, you guys just convinced me. I just ordered a bottle. Now which of you works for BG??
Old 11-15-2003, 06:18 PM

It's all about sharing info here buddy! I can't speak for others but most of us here in this forum are very knowledgeable...doing a lot of researches and are willing to share the info without being bias.
FYI: The B&G products line are widely used by most dealers and that must meant something good?

And no, I do NOT work for B&G's.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Very sound, Mike

Okay guys, i deliberately did *a lot* of city and highway driving today. Heck, i even almost went off-roading

Anyway, I'm about 1/4 tank now from the full-tank i had this morning.

The car is idling a lot better now, best way i can describe it is "smooth" and with less vibrations when in gear at a stop. Overall drivability is different, but in a good way. It's kinda hard to describe... feels like new?

I'll keep driving and wait until i'm done with the 2nd tank of gas before i say any more.

As for MPG, i can't say much either since i had a lot of mixed driving today so it'll be hard for me to compare it to my regular mileage numbers.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Okay guys, i deliberately did *a lot* of city and highway driving today. Heck, i even almost went off-roading

Anyway, I'm about 1/4 tank now from the full-tank i had this morning.

The car is idling a lot better now, best way i can describe it is "smooth" and with less vibrations when in gear at a stop. Overall drivability is different, but in a good way. It's kinda hard to describe... feels like new?

I'll keep driving and wait until i'm done with the 2nd tank of gas before i say any more.

As for MPG, i can't say much either since i had a lot of mixed driving today so it'll be hard for me to compare it to my regular mileage numbers.
Sup Mike. Im happy as a pig in s**t with the results of the BG44 K.

1) Ran 4 14.70s at 93-94.5 mph at the local strip, this after dropping in the container with a tankful of BP 93 octane. I never did btr than low 15's at 89-91 before. Albeit, weather was cooler by 10 degrees when I ran the 14.7's, but I still felt down low and near the finish line, the car pulled liked a raped ape.
2) Car is noticably stronger. Me and Brian (Bejay) went to a dyno today, and I put down 185whp and 190whp on a Mustang dyno. Mustang dynos historically put down lower #'s than dynojets...Hmmm. Pretty decent for VQ35 Auto.
2) Gas mileage is INSANE !! Where I previously was struggling to get 300 miles to the tankful, well let me tell ya, I have 270 miles on my trip odometer since my last fill-up (I always top off), and I still have 122 miles to go (dte). That is outrageous !!!!

I usually am not a shill for any product, but hell, this is as good a fuel system cleaner as I've EVER used. Ppl, you spend $15-20 on more frivolous s**t, get this stuff and be happy with your car again.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:22 AM

why not replace the fuel filter then do the bg44? i've got my new filter sitting in my trunk. i guess i'll just do them together.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ok

I am fairly convinced that this is not a bad idea. But the one thing that still is holding me back from doing this (to either my cars) is the "dont run" while its "hot" only use short trips, posted by spirilis.

I now walk to work, (to keep from using the Maxima on "short" trips...I am so ****) so the only time my car sees is highway time. My wife has a focus and it to see major highway time as well as city time. Also the focus tends to run "hot". Meaning that poor little sohc motor is taxed when drivin.

I read as much of the BG website as I could and could not see a reference to how to use it other than poor into a fairly empty tank and fill up and drive and use the Superguard in between the 44 flushes.

Anybody have additional opinions on this? Or an additional information that they can point me to to make sure I dont mess up my car?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2003, 05:59 AM

Further to Polo's post about checking this out I made a thread over at Anandtech about fuel injector cleaners. Granted, it's not an auto forum, but several of the people there know a good bit about cars. Specifically Roger (old guy who owns his own shop) and Quixfire are both professional mechanics, and both recommended them. BG44k was Roger's second preferance. I've read many car threads on AT and this area is one of the few to get an overwhelming consensus in one direction and the consensus was that these things are generally a good idea.

The positive responses here and the positive on anandtech - plus the fact that my mechanic put in a fuel system cleaner on my sentra last year on his own whim, not mine - indicate to me that fuel injector cleaners are generally a good idea.

I'd never put an oil additive in my maxima, especially crap like slick 50, but I feel comfortable with this stuff based on what I've read. I may call Nissan locally tomorrow prior to ordering to see if they happen to have it over the counter, but otherwise i'm going to go ahead with it.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Very sound, Mike

Skoorb, you just had to put in ATOT on the job huh?

Anyway, Colonel - i already threw the bottle, but the label on the back also mentioned it was good for Diesel engines as it would prevent injector burn or something. So i'm assuming if that's the case, then running your Max all-highway with the BG would not be an issue (e.g. as far as burn is concerned).
Old 11-16-2003, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
FYI: The B&G products line are widely used by most dealers and that must meant something good?
i purchased my Maxima from Carmax (a pretty large nation-wide used car chain) with 26k miles. they added some type of fuel system cleaner (not sure the brand) to it (and i assume all used cars they sell) prior to reselling. combine that with the fact many, many new car dealership's service departments use and/or recommend it and you can assume that this type product CAN'T be bad.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
I'd never put an oil additive in my maxima, especially crap like slick 50, but I feel comfortable with this stuff based on what I've read. I may call Nissan locally tomorrow prior to ordering to see if they happen to have it over the counter, but otherwise i'm going to go ahead with it.
Scoorb, DON'T put the BG 44K in your oil!!! It goes in the tank!

I told you guys this stuff was good, it really improves te gas mileage. I've used plenty of other Injector cleaners, and this one really made a difference!

G
Old 11-16-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Scoorb, DON'T put the BG 44K in your oil!!! It goes in the tank!

I told you guys this stuff was good, it really improves te gas mileage. I've used plenty of other Injector cleaners, and this one really made a difference!

G
Damnit too late I just drove 30 miles with it in there!! WtF do I do now?!

J/k, if my post indicated that I thought it should go in the oil I apologize. The only thing that goes in my oil is...more oil

soundmikeYeah I'm dependent on ATOT !
Old 11-16-2003, 03:22 PM

I put some chevron FI cleaner in my car and it stumbled. I must of had a big chunk of carbon kicking it on a valve because during the 2-3 shift at 4200k rpm it took a 3 second delay.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by 00MAXI
I put some chevron FI cleaner in my car and it stumbled. I must of had a big chunk of carbon kicking it on a valve because during the 2-3 shift at 4200k rpm it took a 3 second delay.
Sounds more like a tranny thing than a motor thing...
Old 11-17-2003, 08:30 AM

Just called both local nissan dealers and both parts departments generally do carry BG 44k and they put it in all their nissans according to the guy I asked at the second dealership. Gonna pick up a bottle locally today
Old 11-17-2003, 10:51 AM

I just bought some off ebay. alot cheaper if you guys go there. i hope that it works as good as you guys have claimed it to.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Additionally since both nissan places were out, and one of the nissan dealers is part of a large group of dealers locally he directed me to their jaguar dealership and the parts guy there said that they put bg44k in all their cars at least every 30k, sometimes 15k depending on the car.

Eitherway I'm stoked to put mine in tonight 60k on the odo and quite possibly it's never had any injector cleaning.

Jaguar only sold me the can version so I'll have to use a funnel.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
Additionally since both nissan places were out, and one of the nissan dealers is part of a large group of dealers locally he directed me to their jaguar dealership and the parts guy there said that they put bg44k in all their cars at least every 30k, sometimes 15k depending on the car.

Eitherway I'm stoked to put mine in tonight 60k on the odo and quite possibly it's never had any injector cleaning.

Jaguar only sold me the can version so I'll have to use a funnel.
save yourself the heartache, and get the funnel with the flexible plastic elbow, that way you dont go spilling the BG44K on the side of your car (ask me how I know that will happen...). hope you feel the same difference I felt when you put it in. Im currently on mile 290 on my tank of gas, with 50 dte. I love this stuff.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:46 PM

I just put it in - advance auto parts didn't have any long tubed ones, but they had a regular funnel with a very long neck so I put that in and it fit pretty well with a large opening so the stuff went in and now it's a full tank. I'll definitely report results in a week or so when the tank is empty.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:23 AM
The Definitive AE Master

my mechanic says to not put it in cause the chemicals in the bg44k releases all the deposits collected in the fuel filter as it passes through on the way to your injectors, therefore further clogging up your injectors downstream with all the gunk freed up from the filter.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 AM

http://www.bgfindashop.com/

you can find a local dealer thru the website. thru yahoo with shipping its like 22 or 23 bux but at a local dealer i found it for 16.

good luck.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:39 AM

my mechanic says to not put it in cause the chemicals in the bg44k releases all the deposits collected in the fuel filter as it passes through on the way to your injectors, therefore further clogging up your injectors downstream with all the gunk freed up from the filter.
I don't know where your mechanic is working for but it definately will not clogged up your injectors! Just try it and be a judge for yourself. So many members in this board and others have good results from it.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Very sound, Mike

Just to update you guys, i'm about 1/8 on the tank of gas i put the BG44k on and i can definitely say the engine has loosened up.

I'll update y'all on mileage changes after i use up the next tank of gas.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 AM

That may be true in part because it makes some sense. However, as mentioned in this thread fuel injector cleaners - in particular this one - are sold by a lot of dealers. As I mentioned the local jaguar dealer and two of the local nissan dealers (I think there may be a third, but I didn't call) ALL use BG 44K on their cars. And, the thread I made over on anandtech (linked above) had some responses from professional mechanics who also use fuel injector cleaners.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:23 PM

this is one of those things that some people (mechanics) are going to swear by (like all of my local Nissans, Fords, and Chrysler/GMC dealerships, etc, etc) and other (like some people's mechanics who posted above) will say DO NOT ever use it!

no reason to really argue about it. the facts and opinions are listed above. read them, ask your mechanic, and make your own decision.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:21 PM

Ok, I have the can in hand, BUT I am going on a 600 mile trip on Friday, should I wait and use it on short in town trips when I get back OR put it in for our long trip on Friday? I have read the posts about not using it on long trips, but there is nothing on BG's site that says this...any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
DC
Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by husker_max
Ok, I have the can in hand, BUT I am going on a 600 mile trip on Friday, should I wait and use it on short in town trips when I get back OR put it in for our long trip on Friday? I have read the posts about not using it on long trips, but there is nothing on BG's site that says this...any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
DC
When you take long hwy trips, your avg mpg should shoot right up, as long as you're not going 85 mph whole 600 miles. The engine is doing medium load, and I dont see why the BG 44K wouldn't do its thing considering the engine will be on for quite a long time or long distance. Go for it. You should see immediate results.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by husker_max
Thanks,
DC
If i understood the past responses correctly, it seems the issue of doing all highway was that the BG might end up burning the injectors.

But after reading the label, it says something to the extent that it's good for diesel engines since it will help correct the burning of the injectors.

So i figured, it's probably not bad doing all highway then.

But to be on the safe side, what i've been doing is i change my rpm's and do casual as well as spirited driving while cruising on the highway. It's not stop/go, but it should be good enough to vary the flow rate through the injectors.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:53 AM

I am thinking that since after a couple of miles my engine hits operating temperature anyway I'm not sure how distance or duration of drive could have any negative effect. However, if this stuff has any soaking in benefits (ie, you stop engine and it soaks in to the injector sludge at that time) it seems that to benefit most from it then shorter trips would be best - or another way to look at it is take as long as possible going through that tank of gas.

I don't know if it does soak at all though or if that is even a small portion of how the cleaner works. From a safety perspective though I'd doubt that a long trip could hurt you.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
If i understood the past responses correctly, it seems the issue of doing all highway was that the BG might end up burning the injectors.

But after reading the label, it says something to the extent that it's good for diesel engines since it will help correct the burning of the injectors.

So i figured, it's probably not bad doing all highway then.

But to be on the safe side, what i've been doing is i change my rpm's and do casual as well as spirited driving while cruising on the highway. It's not stop/go, but it should be good enough to vary the flow rate through the injectors.
It's not "burning the injectors" that we're worried about... it's burning the VALVES (or causing excess pinging/etc) due to the combustion chamber running hotter because of the additive (note that I am not sure why the combustion chamber would run hotter with BG44K in the fuel, but I take their word for it as caution)

On 2nd thought, the combustion chamber running hotter than it would without BG44K may not be the issue... however, if BG44K does its job correctly (not only cleaning the injectors, but also cleaning the intake valves and combustion chamber), then some of the carbon released could stick to the intake or exhaust valves, and during a long drive (where the engine will run hotter on average than short drives) there is a higher probability that the valves could warp/burn if those carbon deposits don't allow the valves to seat properly against the valve seat. I think that's a more plausible theory.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:47 AM
Very sound, Mike

I sit corrected then

Either way, i've already gone through 1 tank. So far so good.

Quick Reply: That BG 44K injector cleaner WORKS WONDERS!