5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coolant change DIY Question(Pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coolant change DIY Question(Pic inside)

I've just done my coolant change over the weekend for my 2000 SE, and I've followed the service manual, only 1 drain plug could be found and it's the radiator plastic plug. 2.5 L out of 7 was drained and there are plenty of dirty coolant left inside the engine. 3 undone plugs located somewhere in order to get another 3L out. Here comes the question:

1. The service manual mentioned a air relief plug, where is it located? I couldn't find it with the service manaul pic, so I took the pic my underhood, can anyone point it to me.

2. Service Manual metioned, there is 1 plug locates beside Exaust manifold and another 2 locate on the left and right side of engine block. Where is it located?

3. All the pics are located in the Maxima folder

All help are appreciated. If more detail pic is required, I am willing to do so, Thanx all
Old 11-16-2003, 08:55 PM

Is there not a drain plug in the block by the Y pipe in the front?? Remember seeing it at one point...quite a large head on it as well. Sits midway between the cylinder head and oil pan and to the "left" of the front pipe sitting in the car. If this is the correct plug it should pretty much get "all" of the coolant out. Hope this helps and goodluck.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Got Bent?

don't remove the drain plugs that are on the engine block... apparantly there is a TSB out that states not to undo those plugs for cooling service maintenance. There is another air relief plug as well...
Old 11-17-2003, 03:38 AM

Interesting I'm SURE that my manual mentioned no air relief plug (2k max). However haynes said there was one, but only provided a pic for older maximas. I sure as hell couldn't find it. I followed the guidelines on motorvate.ca for my coolant change.

I see why he said that the engine plugs are so hard to get at. They are VERY hard to get at. I tried and then decided to follow his quicker easier routine, which consists of merely draining the radiator and filling it back up. I got like 4.5 quarts or something around that. I will do this every 15k miles since no more than half of the coolant is left in the engine each time. Doing the quick way like this is a hell of a lot quicker.

Alternatively you could get one of those flush kits from walmart for $3.99 and flush the whole setup with a garden hose but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

for what it's worth both drain plugs are on the passenger side. To see the front one when laying on your back with feet towards the rear of the car, if you're over on the passenger side it's up in there and looks like a big bolt with a flat ring on it (like in the pic in manual).

The rear one get on your back with feet pointing forward and look up inside and you'll see a bolt sitting there somewhere, but the fact of the matter is I have some openended sockets with the pre-size ends, and I was unable to get enough torque (because there is virtually no space) in there to undo it. Truly an insane effort. I'd not bother with the engine plugs!