5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CoilOver vs. Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:19 PM
tEh Hope

CoilOver vs. Lowering Springs

Is Coilover system worth it for the price? Or is there any reason lowering spring suspension method is better?

Cost wise coilover system costs about 3 times more than lowering springs system. I wouldn't mind going with coilover system as long as my money is well spent. In terms of ride quality, performance and longevity which of the either systems make sense? Does Coilover system (for example Cattman) live upto the hype? Does lowering spring suspension system come close to coilover system in terms of performance and reliability?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

IMO...unless you plan to race or show your car, coilovers are useless. I have them on my SER and on my max i have the TEIN/GR-2 combo. Would i like to have the TEIN coilovers, or the JICs or the CATTMANs...damn right. But, my max is not a race/show car, so im happy with what i got. If you got the $$ to spend get coilovers. The adjustments are AWESOME! But, if your driving to work and home, IMO its a waste of $$...

Old 11-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Wild at Hurt

It looks absolutely beautiful no hype I'm sure on cattmans coilovers. Polo did a great write up with pics. if search is not working just go 3 or so pages into the posts and you will find it. Yeah it is 3-4 times more but that is what i am going to do in the spring. I would do it now but could be a possibly harsh Chicago winter. Boy do these guys drop the salt.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
It looks absolutely beautiful no hype I'm sure on cattmans coilovers. Polo did a great write up with pics. if search is not working just go 3 or so pages into the posts and you will find it. Yeah it is 3-4 times more but that is what i am going to do in the spring. I would do it now but could be a possibly harsh Chicago winter. Boy do these guys drop the salt.
What about the winters to come? Are you going to store it in the garage for the winters? I know what you mean about the salt in Chicago. That is my hometown.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:49 PM
tEh Hope

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
If you got the $$ to spend get coilovers. The adjustments are AWESOME!
Are you implying that the only big advantage of coilover vs lowering springs is 'customizable lowering'? If this is not really a big attraction to me, would it still make sense to go for coilover? I still value performance and handling... I just want a suspension system that will stand up to occasional (or even regular) hard driving.

Also, I plan on using my car for atleast 5-7 years so reliability is big factor too. How long do coilover system last? Lifetime of the car? If I am paying high price for suspension system (like coilover) don't you think its fair to expect that?

Related question. Compared to coilovers, how long does lowering spring system last?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Conecarver

I would think either springs or a coilover should last 5+ years if taken care of. Spring sag should only happen on cheaply built ones. Performance struts should only blow if you lower than designed.

The combination of just lowering springs and performance struts has proven very competitive in autox. That's usually plenty for daily handling needs.

I'm getting rid of my Koni/Eibach setup this week. I want the extra drop and custom height adjustment available with coilovers. Stiffer springs was also a big plus for me.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Wild at Hurt

CharlieKilo3,
Well, starting out in the spring gives me at least a few months of them being pristine.
we may be back to a 3rd vehicle next year as my wife wants a convert besides her van.
I am going to talk to Brian and see what material or plating they are. some materials hold up.
And these guys are right that coilovers are not for everyone. But you have to make a careful choice of spring and strut from what I keep reading. And a lot of guys say they have klunking type noises.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It all comes down to your budget. If you have to money, go for it. If you're broke like me, get springs.

~limsandy
Old 11-24-2003, 09:56 PM
I miss the .org!

Coilovers are not useless, but they're not always the best option. Just depends on your application, which has too much variability for me to go into.

Bottom line though, it depends on your budget. $1800 for JIC FLT-A2's vs. $400 for Teins/GR-2's...
Old 11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Oh hi....

I sprung for the JICs. I'm not made of money, but i wanted as quality a setup as possible. No I don't race(autocross)....yet Even though i only go back and forth with some spirited driving, I do not regret paying for these. They are sick. I've driven around in plenty of peoples Integras and Honduhs with coilovers and were bouncy as hell. I was apprehensive about getting mine. No worries with these. Nice and stiff. As for drop, i had to raise mine up, was bottoming out on a few speed bumps at work. but hey 3inch drop is fine with me for now. sorry kinda long.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I would think either springs or a coilover should last 5+ years if taken care of. Spring sag should only happen on cheaply built ones. Performance struts should only blow if you lower than designed.

The combination of just lowering springs and performance struts has proven very competitive in autox. That's usually plenty for daily handling needs.

I'm getting rid of my Koni/Eibach setup this week. I want the extra drop and custom height adjustment available with coilovers. Stiffer springs was also a big plus for me.

I can say that I had my Eibach/Tokico blue setup on my 89 5spd SE for over 11 years with no problems. I drove the car very hard all the time. Track time too. I never blew out a strut or noticed any spring sag. The car did ride like crap though. That is why I am so apprehensive about lowering my 03. I would love to do Teins or H&Rs with the GR-2s, but I am afraid of the ride that may result.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:15 AM

What about the tein ss they are complete coilover kit and about $800 less than JICs