5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DRIVE belts are cracked

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DRIVE belts are cracked

According to the dealership, they want $125. Can I do it myself? If so, can someone offer some directions.

Oh, btw, I replaced all six ignition coils today, front ones were cinch, the rear ones are a Bch, man trying to squeeze my hand down between all sorts of wires, hoses, metal, and that dang FTSB. What a pain, hand is scraped up pretty good. I found a new respect for mechanics. Manufactures didn't ezactly make mechanics job easy. Beats the $240 labor the stealership wanted though. Can't wait till I have to replace the spark plugs.

Nissan really should of issued a recall on the coils, cuz one or more of mine died at 49K, I think 50K is their expected life. Bastds.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 PM

I replaced/removed my belts when I installed my UDP. It was a bit of a pain, but not too bad. Studman has a nice writeup of how to install the UDP, so if ya follow his advice, removing the belts shouldnt be a big deal
Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 PM

I'd hope the coils would last 105K since that's how long the plugs are supposed to last... I forget, are coils covered under the powertrain warranty? After all, I'd consider it part of the engine.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:51 AM

Nah, coils are defective, 40-60K miles sounds like their life expectancy... I'm curious whether mine have gone bad (45Kmi on the car), the car just doesn't quite have the quick "oomph" it did when I first got it, but then the fuel filter or K&N panel filter could just be dirty...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I'd hope the coils would last 105K since that's how long the plugs are supposed to last... I forget, are coils covered under the powertrain warranty? After all, I'd consider it part of the engine.
Thats what I thought too, but the powertrain warranty covers internal parts, not external parts (i.e. spark plugs, coils). bstds.

The coils made for the 2000 max were defective in design. So rather than issue a recall, nissan just redesigned them to "fix" the flaw. However, I don't know what model year the new redesigned coils were used in.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Nah, coils are defective, 40-60K miles sounds like their life expectancy... I'm curious whether mine have gone bad (45Kmi on the car), the car just doesn't quite have the quick "oomph" it did when I first got it, but then the fuel filter or K&N panel filter could just be dirty...
Well, as soon as the first "misfire" happened, (symptom of bad coils), my car was very sluggish, and I didn't correlate the sluggishness with bad coils. However, when I replaced the coils and took the car out, the sluggishness went away, and I had all the power I used to have.

BTW, I've heard that you lose horsepower when coils and/or spark plugs are malfunctioning. Probably explains the reason why my car was so sluggish.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
I replaced/removed my belts when I installed my UDP. It was a bit of a pain, but not too bad. Studman has a nice writeup of how to install the UDP, so if ya follow his advice, removing the belts shouldnt be a big deal
Where is his writeup, search is down right now.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:30 PM

The belts are easy to change, but that is if you can reach some of the bolts to remove.

It took me 2 tries and 3 hours because I could not fit my fat hands up to reach the power steering belt. I got both belts for about $30 from the local autoparts store.

A good set of tools is needed (extensions, universal jounts, etc)

Get a copy of the shop manual with diagrams and instructions, its the best.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Where can you get the coils from?? Anyone know of a good place?? I have 35K on my 2K2 and I was going to do my own quasi-30K maintenance w/ belts trans fluid swap to MT-90, radiator fluid drain & fill, and change the spark plugs. Would this be a good time to put in new coils???
Old 11-25-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by KP ROX
According to the dealership, they want $125. Can I do it myself? If so, can someone offer some directions.

Oh, btw, I replaced all six ignition coils today, front ones were cinch, the rear ones are a Bch, man trying to squeeze my hand down between all sorts of wires, hoses, metal, and that dang FTSB. What a pain, hand is scraped up pretty good. I found a new respect for mechanics. Manufactures didn't ezactly make mechanics job easy. Beats the $240 labor the stealership wanted though. Can't wait till I have to replace the spark plugs.

Nissan really should of issued a recall on the coils, cuz one or more of mine died at 49K, I think 50K is their expected life. Bastds.
$125? Your dealer isn't as bad as mine. A month ago my dealer quoted me $195. I told him I'd think about it. I think they say it is cracked if they see the slightest little normal wear on it.

I'm replacing my coils now. Did the front 3 and not looking forward to the back three.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cabernet
$125? Your dealer isn't as bad as mine. A month ago my dealer quoted me $195. I told him I'd think about it. I think they say it is cracked if they see the slightest little normal wear on it.

I'm replacing my coils now. Did the front 3 and not looking forward to the back three.

Heh, after doing the spark plugs in mine, I can say that replacing the coils will be a cake walk.