5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

More fun with Bose

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 07:20 AM

More fun with Bose

Any advice for a guy ready to go postal over Bose problems / poor service from Nissan USA? (I can't get site search to work, sorry).

Bought a used '02 SE in July, 18K miles. Bose left channel speakers cut out off and on while playing CDs (not the radio). Find out through this site that it's a recurrent problem with a TSB on it. Take it in under warranty, get a new head unit.

Bose starts skipping, seizing up, chirping. Find out from this site that all Bose CD warranty replacements are with rebuilt units. Take it back in, ask service manager for a new unit rather than rebuilt, he says No Can Do, Nissan policy to use rebuilts.

"New" rebuilt head unit, same problems. Now I'm really po'd, so I call Nissan USA and talk to service. This was three weeks ago, a woman named Erin. I tell her I don't want to go back to the dealer for another rebuilt -- I want a brand new unit, preferably not Bose.

She says she'll talk to her managers and the service manager at the dealership, she what she can do for me, get back with me. I don't hear from her, so I start calling twice a week, always getting voice mail. She called me back once last week, after hours at my work, and left a message saying she called the dealership and they have no record of me! Of course, she didn't pay attention to what I told her (I gave her all my dealer info) and instead, using the VIN, called the Ohio dealership that sold the car new! Bonehead.

Of course, my CD is not working and I'm getting increasingly steamed as she fails to respond to my messages.
So last night I've had enough; I call Nissan, get a live human, and tell them I am not getting off the line until they track down the elusive Erin and get her on the line. They eventually do, and the first thing she tells me is "Sorry, I've been swamped." Then she apologizes for not paying attention to me the first time I gave her my info. Then she tells me, so sorry, but you get stuck with rebuilt Bose as long as it's warranty work. I went on a 5-minute harangue about Nissan's ****-poor attitude toward satisfying loyal customers, which I knew was to no avail but felt good anyway.

Has anyone found a way to get Nissan to replace that crappy Bose with a stereo that works, or am I doomed?
Old 11-25-2003, 08:01 AM

dude if you are having that much problems you are better off getting an aftermarket radio why even bother.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2kprlmax
dude if you are having that much problems you are better off getting an aftermarket radio why even bother.
Agreed!
Btw, Erin at Nissan said she's been swamped??
What does that imply about Nissan...lol.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM

i had a few issues with the left front speaker not playing anything for a couple of my cds, but the problem fixed itself. weird. no problems since. and I would recommend for you gettin an aftermarket stereo. be easier in the long run and probly sound better too
Old 11-25-2003, 07:03 PM

I had a similar problem with my Bose and the dealer replaced the head unit. I don't use my CD player too much (good ol' mp3 player) but when I have used it I had no problems.

Maybe you should take it to another dealer. I'll say this: I honestly thought that when I spent the extra $1000 or so to get a Bose system that it would be impressive. Suffice it to say that I am less than impressed....
Old 11-25-2003, 08:58 PM
ABS

I had my Bose (read Clarion) HU replaced by two different dealers four times, each time with a rebuilt unit. The original and first replacement had the left channel cut-out issue. The 3rd and now the 4th suffer from CD skipping. I'm now off warranty and am planning on replacing the HU altogether. What an absolute waste of money - I regret ever having gotten the Bose.