5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Write up for fuel filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Write up for fuel filter replacement

Hello all,

Does anybody have a write up on how to replace the fuel filters in the 2000-01's?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by stose95
Hello all,

Does anybody have a write up on how to replace the fuel filters in the 2000-01's?

Thanks!
anyone???????
Old 12-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not really, cause its a dirty process. I was going to do this when I upgraded my fuel pump, but when my hands all gasoline-like, I didnt want to touch my camera.

Dixit
Old 12-04-2003, 02:46 PM

Fuel filter?

anyone???????
The '01 doesn't have one...just a screen but you don't replace it...so the stealership says. The dealer can do a good Fuel System service. FYI the do it yourself additives can trip the CELight.

Tune up tips...

Just do air filters every 15K, Mobil 1 full synth oil every 5k; Auto Trans every 30k (Power flush)...just did my plugs at 60k. They say 100k w/ platinum my ***...I'm runnin stock and they were black...saves gas $$$ too! easy do it yourself job...belts and hoses at 60k-80k. Replace the craptennzas with Michelin Pilots and your stylin...
Old 12-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

FUEL FILTER
===========
Courtesy Nissan's site says that the fuel filter is considered a 'replacement part,' so it says it 'probably never' needs to be changed as part of one's maintence routine.

It's a pain to replace from what I hear. Here's some instructions, if you wish to try it yourself:

Fuel Pump, Fuel Level Sensor Unit and Fuel Filter

REMOVAL:
1. Release fuel pressure from fuel line.
2. Remove rear seat bottom.
3. Remove inspection hole cover located under the rear seat.
4. Disconnect electrical connector.
5. Remove the quick connectors.
6. Remove the six bolts.
7. Pull out the fuel level sensor unit and fuel pump.
- Do not damage the arm of the fuel level sensor and fuel tank temperature sensor.
8. Remove flange of fuel level sensor unit and fuel pump.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the snap fit portion.
9. Push fuel level sensor flange.
10. Pull up the fuel level sensor.
11. Remove fuel filter from chamber.
12. Remove pressure regulator clip, then pull out pressure regulator.
13. Remove fuel pump, then push down the fuel pump.
14. Remove packing from fuel pump.
15. Remove the pump support rubber from the fuel pump.

INSTALLATION:
Install in the reverse order of removal paying attention to the following.
- Install the fuel filter and fuel pump with the tabs aligned, make sure a click sound of secure engagement is heard.
- Securely connect the harness connector of the fuel pump.
- Install the pressure regulator O-ring as follows.
CAUTION:
- When replacing, always use a new O-ring, packing and clip.
- Handle it with bare hands. (Do not use gloves.)
- Visually check the O-ring, mounting parts and mating parts for foreign materials and flaws.
- Before installing, apply new engine oil.
- To avoid damage, do not apply an excessive force (pulling or starching).

- Install the pressure regulator as follows.
1. Insert the clip to the groove of the regulator.
2. With the clip installed, insert the regulator straight by matching the fuel filter protrusion and the clip notch.
3. Make sure that the fuel filter protrusion and clip notch are securely engaged.

Peace.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:19 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Yeap. Owners Manual says that you dont have to replace it.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:28 PM

Got a huge problem now. I followed the instructions on the Haynes manual. the part were I had to remove the housing on the sender, the plastic piece were one of the lines connect snapped damn!! Think I will have to call Dave B
Old 12-04-2003, 05:19 PM

You guys should probably ground yourself before removing the six bolts. If your working around interior trim like carpet you could create some static electricity and BOOM!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:21 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Got a huge problem now. I followed the instructions on the Haynes manual. the part were I had to remove the housing on the sender, the plastic piece were one of the lines connect snapped damn!! Think I will have to call Dave B
Why did you decide to replace the fuel filter? Don't tell me just because
Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Wild at Hurt

Just another perspective here.
I have been on the BMW motorcycle forum for years. Everybody just hated the in tank yearly fuel filter change. So sombody posted howto's with pics for an inline external fuel filter mod. Hundreds of guys did it and loved it. So that is probably what I will do to my Max at some point. High pressure hose and clamps are a must with FI.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Why did you decide to replace the fuel filter? Don't tell me just because
Pretty much just because, I heard of a few guys on here changed it and had favarable results. I also have a bottle of bg44 fuel sytem cleaner, so I wanted to replace the filter before pouring the cleaner in the tank. That way the cleaner will not carry and clean out the dirt in the filter and take it through the lines and injectors
Old 12-05-2003, 06:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Pretty much just because, I heard of a few guys on here changed it and had favarable results. I also have a bottle of bg44 fuel sytem cleaner, so I wanted to replace the filter before pouring the cleaner in the tank. That way the cleaner will not carry and clean out the dirt in the filter and take it through the lines and injectors
I am guessing you broke one of the interior connectors on the sender unit? Buy one from DAVEB...hehe. He will appreciate it. As I thought I needed one and then returned it because I was a dufus. Getting the inner connector off can be tough.

Also for those of you that are doubters, you question Nissan on almost everything and then take their advice on 1 filter? I have YET to hear of a "lifetime" filter. Plus, for your car to be running tip-top...why wouldnt you replace it?

FACTS:
1) There IS a fuel filter on the 2K+
2) It IS replaceable
3) If you DIY replace it and DONT follow instructions it CAN be messy/dangerous.
4) If you rush it and are not patient, you can have problems.

If anybody needs theirs replaced and are near me...I would be MORE than willing to help out. I am the worlds LEAST patient man, and I was able to do this w/o and issue.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
I am guessing you broke one of the interior connectors on the sender unit? Buy one from DAVEB...hehe. He will appreciate it. As I thought I needed one and then returned it because I was a dufus. Getting the inner connector off can be tough.

Also for those of you that are doubters, you question Nissan on almost everything and then take their advice on 1 filter? I have YET to hear of a "lifetime" filter. Plus, for your car to be running tip-top...why wouldnt you replace it?

FACTS:
1) There IS a fuel filter on the 2K+
2) It IS replaceable
3) If you DIY replace it and DONT follow instructions it CAN be messy/dangerous.
4) If you rush it and are not patient, you can have problems.

If anybody needs theirs replaced and are near me...I would be MORE than willing to help out. I am the worlds LEAST patient man, and I was able to do this w/o and issue.
Just called Dave B. He was very nice and helpful. I ordered that part overnight Sat Delivery. Hopefully I will finish this up tomorow. Other than the goof up, which could have been avoided with needle nose pliers, was pretty easy.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Just called Dave B. He was very nice and helpful. I ordered that part overnight Sat Delivery. Hopefully I will finish this up tomorow. Other than the goof up, which could have been avoided with needle nose pliers, was pretty easy.
Yeah...I used my fingers and it was so hard I busted out the needlenose. But you have to be careful with them too. Basically I had two pair and push the retainer in while tugging on the line with my pinky...just gotta be patient....

Good luck to ya!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:43 PM

finally finished the installation. I held the filters side by side. They are white but you can see through them a little. The old filter was definately a little darker/grayer from the inside.
I havent had a chance too see if fuel economy or performance increased because of the snow but hopefully I will have a better idea later in the week.