5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2002 Maxima's Never-Ending Saga

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:26 AM

My 2002 Maxima's Never-Ending Saga

Well, after I got the ECU upgraded by TS and got the new (used) MAF installed, I finally decided to get out to the track again. My local track absolutely sucks when compared to a dirt road in the Sahara Desert, so the times posted are no where near what the car is capable of doing. I use the local track as a reference between mods, not for comparison to other members, etc.

Before the ECU and MAF replacement, I ran a 14.7 at 93 MPH. After the ECU and MAF replacement, the best I ran was a 15.0 at 94 MPH.

The car is definitely more powerful than before the upgrade, but what I didn't account for was what killed my track times: WHEEL HOP. I ran the car 5 times total, with the best time being a 15.0. I cannot launch at anything more than idle, and I cannot give 100% throttle until the car is moving forward. This causes for a 2.5 sec 60' time. For reference, my best time at the same track before the ECU update and MAF replacement was 14.7. I also had 1BADMAX drive the car at the track, just to make sure that it wasn't a driver's error. He ran worse times than I did, as expected because he didn't know my car like I did. For a baseline comparison of the track versus other tracks, my best overall time in the car is a 13.8. The slips are in the car (at the dealership), but you can tell where the problem is when you see the 2.5~3.5 sec 60' times.

So here's the deal...

The tranny is busted now!!! Go freaking figure!!! It seems that every time I get all the other stuff fixed, something else goes wrong. I don't know exactly what broke in it yet, as it just hit the dealer this morning around 10:30 EST. All I know is that it won't go into 6th gear. If you actually get it to go into 6th, when you come out, you can't enter any other gear. I found this out Friday night when I got stranded in the middle of a 6-lane divided highway and I was in the middle lane. Fortunately, I was able to smack the tranny around and got it into 2nd. Once I did that, I got it to work with 1st-4th gears with only notchiness as a problem. I believe that the 6th gear synchro is shot, but there could be something else broken as well. So today I drove it to the dealer to have it fixed. They've got the car for the next few days, so I'll follow up when I know more. Thankfully, the tranny is still covered under the powertrain warranty. If it wasn't, I'd be upgrading to the HLSD tranny in a heartbeat.

As for fixing the wheel hop, I ordered the Place Racing Motor Mounts today from Southwest AutoWorks. Once I get the car back and get them installed (after Christmas), I'll try the track again.

As for a dyno, if the car is back in my hands this week, I have a scheduled block of time on the dyno this coming Saturday. So I'll get her fine tuned and post up some numbers.

History of Defects:
First Time Replacements:
Bose Radio - Manufacturing defect
Clutch - Manufacturing defect
ECU - Invalid Image
MAF - Manufacturing defect
Transverse Links - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)

Second Time Replacements:
Bose Radio - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)
Clutch - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)
MAF - Excess Vibration

Third Time Replacements:
MAF - ECU voltage error (TSB performed)

Fourth Time Replacements:
MAF - ECU voltage error

Note that these didn't occur in this exact order, but just showing how many times this happens BEFORE the TSB was performed. It seems that they happen to me long before they come out with a TSB. Who knows?... maybe the tranny will become a TSB as well.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:35 AM

Whoa man, that sucks. Maybe the ECU hasn't adjusted full yet? I would think you would have a better 60' due to the 7,200 redline thru first. Maybe it really is your tranny? Anyways, want more info on the ECU, how much powerful is it? Lets say in comparison to Y-pipe power? or less? Peace_

Originally Posted by studman
Well, after I got the ECU upgraded by TS and got the new (used) MAF installed, I finally decided to get out to the track again. My local track absolutely sucks when compared to a dirt road in the Sahara Desert, so the times posted are no where near what the car is capable of doing. I use the local track as a reference between mods, not for comparison to other members, etc.

Before the ECU and MAF replacement, I ran a 14.7 at 93 MPH. After the ECU and MAF replacement, the best I ran was a 15.0 at 94 MPH.

The car is definitely more powerful than before the upgrade, but what I didn't account for was what killed my track times: WHEEL HOP. I ran the car 5 times total, with the best time being a 15.0. I cannot launch at anything more than idle, and I cannot give 100% throttle until the car is moving forward. This causes for a 2.5 sec 60' time. For reference, my best time at the same track before the ECU update and MAF replacement was 14.7. I also had 1BADMAX drive the car at the track, just to make sure that it wasn't a driver's error. He ran worse times than I did, as expected because he didn't know my car like I did. For a baseline comparison of the track versus other tracks, my best overall time in the car is a 13.8. The slips are in the car (at the dealership), but you can tell where the problem is when you see the 2.5~3.5 sec 60' times.

So here's the deal...

The tranny is busted now!!! Go freaking figure!!! It seems that every time I get all the other stuff fixed, something else goes wrong. I don't know exactly what broke in it yet, as it just hit the dealer this morning around 10:30 EST. All I know is that it won't go into 6th gear. If you actually get it to go into 6th, when you come out, you can't enter any other gear. I found this out Friday night when I got stranded in the middle of a 6-lane divided highway and I was in the middle lane. Fortunately, I was able to smack the tranny around and got it into 2nd. Once I did that, I got it to work with 1st-4th gears with only notchiness as a problem. I believe that the 6th gear synchro is shot, but there could be something else broken as well. So today I drove it to the dealer to have it fixed. They've got the car for the next few days, so I'll follow up when I know more. Thankfully, the tranny is still covered under the powertrain warranty. If it wasn't, I'd be upgrading to the HLSD tranny in a heartbeat.

As for fixing the wheel hop, I ordered the Place Racing Motor Mounts today from Southwest AutoWorks. Once I get the car back and get them installed (after Christmas), I'll try the track again.

As for a dyno, if the car is back in my hands this week, I have a scheduled block of time on the dyno this coming Saturday. So I'll get her fine tuned and post up some numbers.

History of Defects:
First Time Replacements:
Bose Radio - Manufacturing defect
Clutch - Manufacturing defect
ECU - Invalid Image
MAF - Manufacturing defect
Transverse Links - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)

Second Time Replacements:
Bose Radio - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)
Clutch - Manufacturing defect (TSB performed)
MAF - Excess Vibration

Third Time Replacements:
MAF - ECU voltage error (TSB performed)

Fourth Time Replacements:
MAF - ECU voltage error

Note that these didn't occur in this exact order, but just showing how many times this happens BEFORE the TSB was performed. It seems that they happen to me long before they come out with a TSB. Who knows?... maybe the tranny will become a TSB as well.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
Whoa man, that sucks. Maybe the ECU hasn't adjusted full yet? I would think you would have a better 60' due to the 7,200 redline thru first. Maybe it really is your tranny? Anyways, want more info on the ECU, how much powerful is it? Lets say in comparison to Y-pipe power? or less? Peace_
Theres a Sticky thread for the ECU. Check that out.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:58 AM

Thanks Haus Do you know what page the reported power gains are on? Cause it's not the last. Thanks.

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Theres a Sticky thread for the ECU. Check that out.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:09 AM

Do you know what page the reported power gains are on? Cause it's not the last. Thanks.
They haven't been independently dyno'd yet. Assuming that I get the car back, I'll be dynoing on Saturday.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:10 AM
Wat

the 60' is all about traction; No traction = bad time
Old 12-15-2003, 11:17 AM

Good luck!
I dont think you need motor mounts-
If you ran a supposedly 13.8 before on street tires,
then maybe you need street legal slicks w/ the extra power to get the times you are expecting @ the track-
I bet the car is a beast from a roll though- is it?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

How are you estimating the 13.8? Orlando is at sea level and the Orlando track is known to be pretty freaking fast in the cooler months. Even with a 2.5 60', you're MPH will still show what your car is capable of. 94mph suggests to me you could eek out a 14.5 if you pulled off a 2.1 60'. Even with poor 60 foots (2.4-2.6) your trap speed changes very little. Trap speed is what shows power. ET is a result of traction. 94mph with your mods isn't right. Something is definately wrong.

Dave
Old 12-15-2003, 11:45 AM

94mph with your mods isn't right. Something is definately wrong.
Yep. Exactly what is wrong is what I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer. The traction issue isn't really the problem when it comes to crossing the line at 94 vs 103 MPH. It's more about the launching. For the last 2 different visits, I had the tranny pop out of gear. The first time, it jumped from first to neutral when I launched. On Friday, 5 out of 6 runs were bad, as the tranny didn't want to stay engaged. It popped out of first once, second twice, and didn't go into third twice. At first I thought it was me, so I had 1BADMAX drive the car as well. He had the same problem.

I do not know yet whether the whole tranny is being replaced, or just certain parts. I have been, am, and will be running Redline MT-90 tranny fluid. I also run Mobil1 fully synthetic 10W30 motor oil.

I should be trapping around the 100-103 MPH mark, but as my times show above, I'm not hitting anywhere near there.

It's really sad when E55AMG2 raced me and he was 0.04 secs behind me. He only has an Injen intake, Powertech muffler, Greddy E-Manage, and the TS ECU. Oh, and he is auto too. I thought at first that the TS ECU was THAT much stronger, but it appears the tranny may have been dying a while ago and finally gave in this weekend.

It's too hard to speculate the exact timing of what happened. All I can say is that the car isn't right. Hopefully this shop visit will put her back up and running in optimum condition.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:23 PM

Feelin ya man.

The ricetard who had this car b4 me completely mangled the clutch. So I paid for a new and the car shift like butter in all gears now.

Heres what I got, K&N intake, cattman Y, HiFlow cat, Greddy Evo catback.

After breaking in the new clutch, I put the car through some hard driving.

From a stop I cannot stop the wheel hop, it is horrible. If I do get through, when 2nd gear rpms get up, she hops in 2nd. Oh I have ecsta k11's. Anyway, I feel like I will never unlock the true power of the VQ.

D Pressing.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bro, that sux about the car. I hope she's up for this weekend......if not, r we still going to go?
Old 12-15-2003, 02:05 PM

Manaz101: Yes. Whether or not I have the car there, our little project is still on. Call me later so we can get the details worked out.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:59 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I could have sworn that any time you replace a MAFS, you're supposed to get the ECU reflashed for that MAFS...

Maybe I'm thinking about another car?
Old 12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep. Exactly what is wrong is what I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer. The traction issue isn't really the problem when it comes to crossing the line at 94 vs 103 MPH. It's more about the launching. For the last 2 different visits, I had the tranny pop out of gear. The first time, it jumped from first to neutral when I launched. On Friday, 5 out of 6 runs were bad, as the tranny didn't want to stay engaged. It popped out of first once, second twice, and didn't go into third twice. At first I thought it was me, so I had 1BADMAX drive the car as well. He had the same problem.
If the tranny is popping out of gear and you go into neutral at any part of a 1/4 mile race, you're going to loose a ton of ET and MPH. My last time out I managed to pull a best ever 2.17 60', but my wheelhop was so bad I missed 2nd gear. That missed gear that only took a split second to correct back into 2nd gear made me run a 14.80@94mph. My prior runs were 14.4s@97-98mph with 2.2/2.3 60 foots.

Dave
Old 12-15-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Orlando is at sea level and the Orlando track is known to be pretty freaking fast in the cooler months.
In my personal experience, (having ran three different cars at Speedworld) I never had a "great" time there, running mid 14's or so in the Maxima, be it summer or when it was cooler; I couldn't stick a decent launch there, ever, and my 60' always sucked.

I have run at Moroso, which while not great, is a lot better than Speedworld, in my opinion; but the fastest track I have run at consistently, has to be in Gainesville speedway, thats a great track.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, Georgia is one of the greatest traction tracks I've ever seen. The only difference between the 15.2's I was running at Commerce and the 14.7's I was running at Reynolds were my 60' times (had slightly higher MPH/trap speeds at reynolds as well). My best time of 14.66 at 93.2 was at Reynolds...whilst Commerce got me 15.2 at 91.x's
Old 12-16-2003, 05:48 AM

I am getting the entire transmission replaced. The dealer called and said that 2 synchros were bad, and that some of the teeth on 2 gears were worn down as well. I left the car with the dealer in hopes that it will speed up the process of getting it fixed.

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I could have sworn that any time you replace a MAFS, you're supposed to get the ECU reflashed for that MAFS...
Typically, yes you would get the flash. But in my case, they couldn't load the flash on the ECU. The software coding didn't match up with what the ECU update required in order to load.

Something got jacked up, because I couldn't get any ECU updates for my unit. None of them would load. Each update wouldn't load for a different reason. That's why I sent the unit out to TS. They flashed a known-working image onto the unit, where as my image worked, but couldn't be updated.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:00 PM

The tranny is now replaced. I've got to do the 500 mile clutch break-in again, so it'll be a bit before I can dyno.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:19 PM

The tranny is now replaced. I've got to do the 500 mile clutch break-in again, so it'll be a bit before I can dyno.
What do you think is your gain with the ECU?
Old 12-26-2003, 01:46 PM

can you give me the link to the place racing motor mounts?
I tried searching on swautoworks website and couldn't find the motor mounts.
thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BioMaxDDS
can you give me the link to the place racing motor mounts?
I tried searching on swautoworks website and couldn't find the motor mounts.
thanks
Just call Southwest and talk to either Steve or Alex. They've got them because I've got them on my car right now and they're who I ordered them through. Cost was around $280 for both the front and rear. You can also go through www.placeracing.com But, I personally like to give my business to a fellow org member, plus Place Racing will tell you that they don't sell 00-03 motor mounts they only sell them for the 95-99, but they're the same. In fact my box said 95-99, but it was for my car.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:33 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
Just call Southwest and talk to either Steve or Alex. They've got them because I've got them on my car right now and they're who I ordered them through. Cost was around $280 for both the front and rear. You can also go through www.placeracing.com But, I personally like to give my business to a fellow org member, plus Place Racing will tell you that they don't sell 00-03 motor mounts they only sell them for the 95-99, but they're the same. In fact my box said 95-99, but it was for my car.

That's b/c they don't actually make any for the 00-03, but the 95-99 will work just fine. I guess most of the other companies don't know (or don't care) that the 4th gen mounts work just fine...