5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: best intake?
Injen
41.57%
Frankencar
32.58%
Placeracing
15.73%
others
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by ckohl23
you're forgetting an important advantage of a CAI over a WAI: the resonance of the airflow created by the long smooth tube. it's a nice continuous airflow (actually has a bit higher psi than normal, but nowhere near forced induction). hard to explain so look it up
I believe you're trying to describe laminar flow and also intake air resonance. The PR and Injen intakes both offer pretty good laminar flow and intake resonance because they help keep a steady charge of air in the pipe. This is why people say their Injen/PR intakes create "lowend". All they're really feeling is the improved laminar flow and resonace which helps throttle response. WAI/HAI setups create resonance problems in the lower rpms and at part throttle. This is why people complain about the lack of lowend performance with the WAI/HAI setups. This is something that can't be seen on the dyno because dynos are done a WOT. What I've noticed with the PR setup over my HAI/WAI is that throttle response, especially on a WOT gear change is better. It feels much stronger initially. Low rpm acceleration also feels more uniform.

I have tested all my setups at the track (hybrid, PR, hacked air box with midpipe), on the same day (60 degrees), same cool down, two runs each, and there's no real dicernable difference between runs. ET/MPH show no real deviations. I just choose the PR because it give me the best driveability and I think it feels much better in temps over 70 degrees.

Dave
Old 01-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by MaximaDisciple
All the things you've said may be true, but according to many people with the Injen and many dyno test there IS an improvement over the stock intake unit. So if its the worst possible location then why does it improve the hp & torque numbers over stock?
I don't doubt the Injen makes more power than stock, but once the motor and intake piping heat soak, it won't make as much power, IMO. On the dyno, the hood is up and there's a fan blowing 30mph air underneath the car. I would bet if you were to test the Injen with a heat soaked motor, warm intake pipe, closed hood, and the fan blowing underneath the car, the Injen wouldn't create as good of numbers. There is a 5th gen in our Kansas City group and he has the Injen and that SOB gets hot. If the piping is getting hot, then I think it's safe to assume that the intake air is both hot and the motor is heat soaking the tube.

On a 90 degree day and driving in typical 35mph traffic, my PR intake pipe is fairly cool to the touch even though the motor is scalding hot. There's a good reason to why the pipe is cool and it has something to do with the source in incoming air and the placement of the pipe itself.

Dave
Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
...The only thing turning me off on the PR is the whole drilling idea.
It's not that big of a deal to make the whole cut. It takes all of 1 minute and if you've got a halfway steady hand and some touch up paint , no one will ever know that a CAI pipe went through there. On my 4th gen, the placement of the hole is such that it would take a keen eye to know where to look. Believe me, if you knew nothing about Maxima's and you happened to find the hole cut, you'd think it was something Nissan did.

Dave
Old 01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by Dave B
It's not that big of a deal to make the whole cut. It takes all of 1 minute and if you've got a halfway steady hand and some touch up paint , no one will ever know that a CAI pipe went through there. On my 4th gen, the placement of the hole is such that it would take a keen eye to know where to look. Believe me, if you knew nothing about Maxima's and you happened to find the hole cut, you'd think it was something Nissan did.

Dave
Amen Bro!!! Love the PR cai that I have.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:25 AM

Dave

Who sells the PR CAI? I checked Cattman's site and they only sell the PR for the 02-03 Altima and Custommaxima sells them for the 00-01 Maxima's. Will these still work on the 02-03 Maxima's with out any issues?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Amen Bro!!! Love the PR cai that I have.
DAMN!! your max in that SIG looks sooo shiny, what wax do u use?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:31 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
DAMN!! your max in that SIG looks sooo shiny, what wax do u use?
Meguiars wax wit a lil TLC does wonders.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I miss the .org!

Didn't read the whole thread so hope this isn't too redundant.

I don't know about power loss, but the water bypass valve is useless. Even if you slam your car, the Injen CAI is pretty high off the ground. You'd have to drive through 1.5 feet of water to submerge the filter on it.

I got the Injen b/c it looks tight, sounds awesome, and seems to work. I didn't consider Frankencar or Berk b/c they seemed flaky with cust. service. I also didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the fender w/the Place Racing...

Also, sorry guys but I'm 1000% against the GAB & other such homemade intakes. A 5th gen isn't a cheapazz car and deserves better...
Old 02-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I didn't consider Frankencar or Berk b/c they seemed flaky with cust. service. I also didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the fender w/the Place Racing...
I just installed the Berk Intake and I couldnt be happier with it as well as the service.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM
BiggD23

It's not that big of a deal to make the whole cut. It takes all of 1 minute and if you've got a halfway steady hand and some touch up paint , no one will ever know that a CAI pipe went through there.
Touch up paint for where? I've never seen a PR CAI in person but I always imagined the hole being cut from the inside of the engine bay which would mean you are cutting a hole in the back side of the fender which isn't visible anyway. Is this wrong? If so how much touching up is required?

Old 02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dave
sup Dave! ...that one pretty 4th gen you got there!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 PM

does anyone know where i can get the adapter that bolts on to the square part of the MAF right where the mesh screen is? i dont want to buy an whole intake and i saw an adapter at autozone but i didnt know if it would fit...i was wondering if there was any sites out there where i could just buy that one piece.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 PM

If you are looking to have a short ram air intake, Weapon R makes a good air intake. I had it on my 00 before I supercharged it. I made 220whp/197trq with the intake, Cattman catback, Cattman y pipe, and Greddy Emanage.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by scmax2000
I made 220whp/197trq with the intake, Cattman catback, Cattman y pipe, and Greddy Emanage
Do you have the runfiles, pics of said runsheet?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Wow this is an oldie!