5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: best intake?
Injen
41.57%
Frankencar
32.58%
Placeracing
15.73%
others
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:58 AM

Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed

I have had the injen Intake on my maxima for about 4 months and I am thinking about selling it and get either Frankencar or others. The reason is quite simple I just can not get the extra hp that everyone claims. Plus I live in MD and every time it rains or snows roads get flooded and I always worried about water being sucked in. Anyway I would really appreciate if anyone that has frankencar or other intake can share his/her thoughts about their intake's sound and performance.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got great gains on the dyno with my Frankencar Intake- check my homepage for dyno pics

The sound is surreal! Besides you arent the only one that has not been satisfied with the Injen- the tubing is too long for warm air

If you want a CAI and dont mind a cut out in your driver fender opt for the PR CAI/Cattman which
are truly CAI's - the safest but not conveniently placed
Old 12-30-2003, 12:24 PM

Although I voted for FrankenCar for the performance, their customer service is horrible from the start. Once you have the product, they will never return your emails or phone calls.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:25 PM

I had a Injen CAI for more than a year. I like it only the bad part is the filter is too small but so I changed it to APEXI filter and I like it. Trust me. I drove so many times on the rain and snow and still didn't get in the intake. Only a water can get into a intake when you are driving in a river or something.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 PM

im am also deciding btwninjen or frank
Old 12-30-2003, 01:36 PM

What about Berk Tuning's? I can't search, but IIRC it used to be the biggest WAI competitor for Frankencar. Anyone here willing/have the time to search for a comparo thread betw. the two or maybe some more info about Berk. My memory sucks so I can't really remem. much about what ppl said about Berk's intake over a year ago.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by nissan5788
What about Berk Tuning's? I can't search, but IIRC it used to be the biggest WAI competitor for Frankencar. Anyone here willing/have the time to search for a comparo thread betw. the two or maybe some more info about Berk. My memory sucks so I can't really remem. much about what ppl said about Berk's intake over a year ago.
I have Berk intake for like 20 months now. My experience is that you loose some major torque in the low rpm but gain a little between 3500 and 4500...although this slight increase may not offset the huge loss of torque in the low powerband, you just gotta try it for the sound. Right now considering getting a mid-pipe to place the filter as far from the engine as possible.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
Although I voted for FrankenCar for the performance, their customer service is horrible from the start. Once you have the product, they will never return your emails or phone calls.
I second that! Luckily I ran into them in a Jersey meet and bought it there-

Af far as torque loss the 3.5 's have torque to spare- If i had a 3.0 I'd go with
a true CAI (PlaceRacing/Cattman) being that the gains will be best
Old 12-30-2003, 02:17 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I have Berk intake for like 20 months now. My experience is that you loose some major torque in the low rpm but gain a little between 3500 and 4500...although this slight increase may not offset the huge loss of torque in the low powerband, you just gotta try it for the sound. Right now considering getting a mid-pipe to place the filter as far from the engine as possible.
ive had a berk intake with a franken midpipe for a little over a year. the other night, i decided to quiet the car a little and removed the midpipe. it was replaced with the stock resonator. i actually felt like the car was more responsive in low and mid rpms. i think i was also having an issue with the vacuum for the VI going into the midpipe because it pulls much harder with the stock resonator. sound is pretty deadened at least compared with the midpipe but i like this setup better. it does a nice rumble around 3k but seems quiet comparatively.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:23 PM

I installed the Frankencar on my Max and I'm very happy with it. I have the Apexi filter. I agree about their customer service, but I got in on a group deal and didn't have to wait very long (maybe 4-6 weeks). They never answered my e-mails. As far as sound goes, it is great. When you mash the gas pedal, it really growls. Otherwise, you never know it's there. My butt dyno says that there is more power, but it may be just my imagination (no actual proof). Borrom line, I love it.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:35 PM

I had the Frankencar Intake with Apexi filter. I got tied of dealing with the stupid bracket. First the bolt kept coming loose so I tried making it real tight. The bolt broke. Then I drilled out the hole and used a stronger bolt after retapping and the farking bracket broke. Talked to Frankencar and they were gonna mail me a new bracket. Been months and no bracket. Also, during the time of no bracket, the filter rubbed a hole in my A/C line so I had to replace that.

Long story short, my experience with FrankenCar sux. Now I have an Injen. Looks great, performs better once I put on a K&N filter and is mounted great.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:01 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Injen is a not a real CAI. Only catmann and Place racing are..

Old 12-30-2003, 03:30 PM

why isnt Injen a real CAI????
Old 12-30-2003, 04:01 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
why isnt Injen a real CAI????
it sits BEHIND the radiator...real CAIs sit in the drivers side fender.....

Old 12-30-2003, 04:41 PM

I second that on the FrankenCar bracket. Mine broke and after 10 emails and numerous phone calls, I just gave up and made my own. I think I'm going to remove the midpipe also and just stick to the filter.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:04 PM

I have stillen filter with frankencar mid pipe and im very happy with it... i love the sound... screaming like crazy!! http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...965_8_full.jpg
Old 12-30-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
My Injen does not sit behind the the radiator. It sits below the battery to the side of the radiator. I agree that it does not pull in as cold of air as the PR or cattman, but IMO it is a better intake than frankencar.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
My Injen does not sit behind the the radiator. It sits below the battery to the side of the radiator. I agree that it does not pull in as cold of air as the PR or cattman, but IMO it is a better intake than frankencar.
why its better than frankencar?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:53 PM

Based on my experience with the 2 intakes, I have the following conclusions:
1. The Injen intake gave me back the low end pull that I was missing with the Frankencar.
2. I don't feel like I have lost any top end at all. If anything I feel improvement there.
3. From a roll, I raced a 2003 maxima with the Frankencar and he steadily pulled. With the Injen, the race is much closer.
4. I think the Injen looks much better.
5. I don't have to worry about the braces coming loose like on the Frankencar because the intake is mounted to the motor and moves with it rather than staying in place and trying to flex with the motor.

If you disagree, that is fine. I am stating my personal opinion.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had the Frankencar Intake with Apexi filter. I got tied of dealing with the stupid bracket. First the bolt kept coming loose so I tried making it real tight. The bolt broke. Then I drilled out the hole and used a stronger bolt after retapping and the farking bracket broke. Talked to Frankencar and they were gonna mail me a new bracket. Been months and no bracket. Also, during the time of no bracket, the filter rubbed a hole in my A/C line so I had to replace that.

Long story short, my experience with FrankenCar sux. Now I have an Injen. Looks great, performs better once I put on a K&N filter and is mounted great.
A few of the people I have talked to about the Injen intake said that they replaced the filter that comes with it. How many people have replaced the filter that came with the Injen Intake and why? Is it not a K&N that comes with it?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:43 PM

I have both...IMO frankencar is the better between the two if we are talking about performance. Even my dad felt the difference. Frankencar just pulls harder. But, Injen looks the best.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:29 PM

Water getting into the engine with the Injen intake is a problem. When you drive the Maxima into a lake, stream, or any body of water 20" deep, water will go up into the engine. When I take my Maxima through the local creek or try to jet ski with it, I get water in the engine.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Jr
A few of the people I have talked to about the Injen intake said that they replaced the filter that comes with it. How many people have replaced the filter that came with the Injen Intake and why? Is it not a K&N that comes with it?
The injen filter is not a K&N. I did replace mine with the K&N RU-2820 amd the performance was much improved. Good luck in formulating your own opinion!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:45 AM

The Thing With A Cai It All Depends On The Area You Live In For Instance In Miami Its Not Worth It Because The Air Is Still As Hot As Pamela Anderson Butt Naked Given Head. So Here In Miami It Doesnt Matter Except For The Kinda Winter Time.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:08 AM

The injen filter is not a K&N. I did replace mine with the K&N RU-2820 amd the performance was much improved. Good luck in formulating your own opinion!
I will definitely keep that in mind. What were you seeing with the injen filter ?
If you don't mind me asking what did you end up paying for the K&N? I assume the K&N is bigger than the stock Injen?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by lv2dmax
I have had the injen Intake on my maxima for about 4 months and I am thinking about selling it and get either Frankencar or others. The reason is quite simple I just can not get the extra hp that everyone claims. Plus I live in MD and every time it rains or snows roads get flooded and I always worried about water being sucked in. Anyway I would really appreciate if anyone that has frankencar or other intake can share his/her thoughts about their intake's sound and performance.

Thanks.
If water injestion is a big risk I would install the AEM air bypass valve on the Injen. I am ordering one for mine. Will install between air mass sensor inlet and the long piping to filter. ( best location) similar to where Nismo locates their's
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
It does not sit behind the radiator, it sits under the battery tray. If you don't own one then don't comment....
Old 12-31-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
It does not sit behind the radiator, it sits under the battery tray. If you don't own one then don't comment....
I agree since I own the Injen
Old 12-31-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Jr
I replaced mine with INJEN with APEXI filter because the Injen filter is so small. You don't have to replace it but i did.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jerome johnson
If water injestion is a big risk I would install the AEM air bypass valve on the Injen. I am ordering one for mine. Will install between air mass sensor inlet and the long piping to filter. ( best location) similar to where Nismo locates their's
jerome, before you go recommending the AEM bypass or installing it yourself, just realize that you lose power with it. Several members have purchased the AEM bypass, installed it, realized they lost power (butt dyno and real dyno), and removed it from the intake. Read my post above. Water injestion is NOT a problem with the Injen intake unless you normally drive in water that is 15 to 20 inches deep. Your interior will be flooded before the intake takes on water.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Water getting into the engine with the Injen intake is a problem. When you drive the Maxima into a lake, stream, or any body of water 20" deep, water will go up into the engine. When I take my Maxima through the local creek or try to jet ski with it, I get water in the engine.

and

I was going to respond to the water ingestion concerns likewise but that was funny. But VERY true.

Guys! If you plan to run the Paris-Dakar rally with your Maxima, dont get a CAI. Outside of that, you shouldnt have ANY problems with pulling in water.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:48 PM

Frankencar all the way!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 PM

AEM also sells a little extra coupler to put on in dry weather. It takes all of two minutes to swap them out. I had one on my accord. you lose a little power, not enough to feel. You don't need to leave the bypass on for good. switch back and forth. It's not difficult. If i was to get another CAI, i'd get another bypass. But for now I'll just stick with the Frankencar with midpipe i just ordered. I'll let you guys know how that works for me in six months when i get it! haha
Old 01-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ryand.white
AEM also sells a little extra coupler to put on in dry weather. It takes all of two minutes to swap them out. I had one on my accord. you lose a little power, not enough to feel. You don't need to leave the bypass on for good. switch back and forth. It's not difficult. If i was to get another CAI, i'd get another bypass. But for now I'll just stick with the Frankencar with midpipe i just ordered. I'll let you guys know how that works for me in six months when i get it! haha
Old 01-01-2004, 08:43 PM

im am also deciding btwninjen or frank
get frankencar my fellow bostonian.

Or you can go with berk, they offer better prices than frankencar and i heard their quality is very alike each other.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:25 PM

There we go some Boston ppl!!!
i was also deciding btwn the two frankencar or injen, i think im going to go w/Injen
Old 01-02-2004, 12:51 AM

i was also deciding btwn the two frankencar or injen, i think im going to go w/Injen

frankenCar power!!!!! I love my intake
Old 01-02-2004, 06:58 AM

you going for the looks man!!!!

haha j/k they both really awesome intakes either one is good. Try getting the injen from www.adventon.com or SWA
Old 01-02-2004, 07:19 AM

I ordered my Frankencar intake at the beginning of October. They charged my CC right away and I never received the damn thing . I left many messages, emails for a status, without any response. I called my CC company and told them my story and I had a refund in two weeks.
Needless to say, I will never do business with them again!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:47 AM

Here is the quote from Dinan about the location of their intake for the BMW 540i and M5. Oh, and if you don't know who Dinan is, you shouldn't be driving a sports sedan.
"The Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake Systems replace the factory air box with a large, free flow performance filter and aluminum intake pipe. The filter is relocated behind the front bumper and below the headlights in order to insulate it from engine compartment heat and maximize exposure to cooler outside air. The filter to air-flow-meter pipe is designed to minimize air turbulence and maximize efficiency."
If Dinan doesn't think water is going to get into the engine of a 5 series from an intake that is almost in the same exact location than an Injen, then I trust that an Injen won't suck up any water.

Quick Reply: Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed