5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: best intake?
Injen
41.57%
Frankencar
32.58%
Placeracing
15.73%
others
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:39 PM
das

ah, a similar option:

with all the problems with Frankencar customer service and getting the intake on time, I just order the full Berk Tech intake. similar design, higher grade steel and only $99 shipped with an 8" K&N!!

plus, I ordered it one day and it shipped out the next. should be in my hot hands on monday.....

check the group deal section for more info....

another bit of mind change..... (2 cents worth)

das
Old 01-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dave Jr
For some people the perception of a cold air intake is a little off. When did it become a cold air intake only if it was in the fender??

It doesn’t have to be in the fender to be a cold air intake. Remember that heat rises. So the pop chargers like Frankencar, Stillen, JWT, whatever will be taking in a good amount of hot air. The Injen sits below the battery away from the motor and away from the radiator. There is a small shield at the bottom of the engine bay to keep water and debris out but does see a very good amount of cold air. I used a temperature scope this past summer to take the temp of a fender located CAI and a front mount CAI (Like the Injen). The front mount intake pipe was much cooler than the Fender located CAI.

The Injen is a CAI and I have one on my max. The sound is godly the performance feels much better mid to high revs. I prefer any CAI over the top mounted pop charger.
Scientific evidence

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
injen is NOT I REPEAT NOT CAI...frankencar owns...dont let the injen haters influence you...a filter CLOSE OR NEAR the rad in N O T C O L D A I R
And your measurement technique was??? Temperature scope owns joo!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:03 AM

im not sure if the bigger filter will make the intake louder but, it will suck in more air and thats what i want!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Scientific evidence

yeah, 92 SE-R 02 SE just got
Old 01-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Scientific evidence

Took the words right out of my mouth

And again since when does a cold air intake HAVE to be in the fender. Is there some kind of Auto Dictionary that I don't know about ?? CAI = Fender mounted Filter system

As stated before I am not bad mouthing anything any intake system over stock is an improvement. It all depends on your needs and wants.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:48 AM

And again since when does a cold air intake HAVE to be in the fender.
since people who have cold air intakes have been looking to intake cold air.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth

And again since when does a cold air intake HAVE to be in the fender. Is there some kind of Auto Dictionary that I don't know about ?? CAI = Fender mounted Filter system

As stated before I am not bad mouthing anything any intake system over stock is an improvement. It all depends on your needs and wants.
you should dyno your car if you swear by the power it makes....that way you can truly say its worth it.....and we can see where in the powerband it helps.....
because the general concensus is that the Injen doesnt create much power up top.....

for some reason lv2dmax (the thread starter) is not happy with the gains....
Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jjames
since people who have cold air intakes have been looking to intake cold air.
Ohhh I see the only place to get cold are is from the fender. It's so clear to me now.......
Old 01-08-2004, 11:55 AM

Ohhh I see the only place to get cold are is from the fender. It's so clear to me now.......
In a way its unclear how on a summer day the Injen could suck in anything but
warm air off steaming asphalt......

my Franken is a CAI anytime its under 50F Degrees ....its freggin' 20F degrees out right now
Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
you should dyno your car if you swear by the power it makes....that way you can truly say its worth it.....and we can see where in the powerband it helps.....
because the general concensus is that the Injen doesnt create much power up top.....

for some reason lv2dmax (the thread starter) is not happy with the gains....
I've never stated that the Injen was making more power than any of the other intakes. The issue at hand here is that the Injen is claimed not to be a CAI. I disagree do to the temperatures that I have seen on the intake piping taken at the source of air.

You are right dyno's tell all at least we think but considering all the HP loss we have seen lately with the TC ECU and the Headers. If the people Dynoing the cars don't know what there doing the numbers are no better proof than an A$$ dyno meter.

So power wise my " opinion " for my car and my situation is the injen feels better in the mid to high end power band. I am not selling the Injen just adding my opinion as was asked by the thread starter.

Once again I will state it. Any intake system over stock is an improvement.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 PM

We are talking a hp here and there- in either case- CAI or not....
Glad you like it Dave!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM

my Franken is a CAI anytime its under 50F Degrees ....its freggin' 20F degrees out right now
Yeah I like the cold weather car likey me likey. I had the same thoughts this past summer when i did my testing with the intakes. That is the main reason I did my testing. As for the hot asphalt and air the fender is getting the air from the same place its still the same air.

The fender mounted CAI is completely enclosed from the outside with all the sheilds. When you cut the hole look inside you can't see anything but the funder and sheilds. In a warm summer day this will cause a more severe heat soaking condition. Even when the car is moving again it doesn't see direct air flow because of it being completely enclosed. It's kinda like driving down the road with your windows up. Yes there is air there but your not seeing the air flow.

If you look down in front where the Injen CAI would go you see ground. There will be more elements let in but will also allow more air flow.

If the fender had that much cooler air flow why aren't intercoolers mounted there ???
Old 01-08-2004, 12:11 PM

We are talking a hp here and there- in either case- CAI or not....
Glad you like it Dave!
Point taken ! But I just ment the debate between me and a few other members not the topic of the post.

And in my case I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't stating that Injen made more power than other intakes I was just defending it's status as a true CAI
Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 PM

It was 6 degrees here on the way to work and is now about 15
Old 01-08-2004, 02:49 PM

From this we can conclude:

Frankencar - Hot Air Intake

Place Racing - Cold Air Intake

Injen - Colder Air (fact) Warm Air (opinion) Intake?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:52 PM

From this we can conclude:

Frankencar - Hot Air Intake

Place Racing - Cold Air Intake

Injen - Colder Air (fact) Warm Air (opinion) Intake?
the Franken is a foot and a half away from being a CAI (place racing)
Old 01-08-2004, 02:55 PM

Where to buy?

Where's the best place to buy a PRCAI????

Their website only offers a brochure to be mailed....

gr
Old 01-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Where's the best place to buy a PRCAI????

Their website only offers a brochure to be mailed....

gr
www.custommaxima.com
and Cattman sells their own version of it
www.cattmanperformance.com
Old 01-08-2004, 03:07 PM

the Franken is a foot and a half away from being a CAI (place racing)
Now this would probably require the cutting of the stock air box but has anyone with a pop charger tried using the stock air scoop that sits at the base of the hood that brings in air from the outside?? I can't remember the actual shape at this point but leaving that connected it would bring in cooler air from outside of the vehicle and allow that to flow towards the filter element that may not be a bad Idea to allow cooler air flow into the engine compartment.

Am I making sense? I think I confused myself
Old 01-08-2004, 03:12 PM
BiggD23

Now this would probably require the cutting of the stock air box but has anyone with a pop charger tried using the stock air scoop that sits at the base of the hood that brings in air from the outside?? I can't remember the actual shape at this point but leaving that connected it would bring in cooler air from outside of the vehicle and allow that to flow towards the filter element that may not be a bad Idea to allow cooler air flow into the engine compartment.
Yes, I've seen this done or attempted by several org members. The one that I can remember he used dryer tubing from Home Depot and like you said he had it flowing out right near the cone filter. Now if only someone could come up with a nicely fabricated tube to do this and sell it I would to them. It would make my intake decision alot easier!!

Old 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM

Weapon R sells a ram air kit for their Dragon filters
but I'm not sure how effective it could be-
http://www.weapon-r.com/ramair.html
Old 01-08-2004, 04:12 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by spirilis
yeah, 92 SE-R 02 SE just got
by who? i seen the INJENS on the 3.5..sorry not right behind the rad but close enough... wow..injen sure looks pretty...im not about looks.... INJEN IS NOT CAI... PERIOD. CATTMANN AND PRI are. thats why i got frankencar...

Old 01-08-2004, 08:15 PM

by who? i seen the INJENS on the 3.5..sorry not right behind the rad but close enough... wow..injen sure looks pretty...im not about looks.... INJEN IS NOT CAI... PERIOD. CATTMANN AND PRI are. thats why i got frankencar...
Well lets see. What makes an intake a cold air intake? Well that would be an intake that would take in COLDER air than the stock air box. Fender mount intakes will take in colder air and so will the front mounts like the Injen. I have already proven this.

I'll ask you again since when does a cold air intake HAVE to be located in the fender to be a cold air intake ?????

If a cold air intake had to be mounted in the fender to be a CAI why name it a CAI then. Why would anyone else use that term CAI if it had to be mounted in the fender ?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:23 PM

Are cold air intakes not measured by the temperature of the air coming in at the filter? If the temperature of the air at the end of an Injen intake is COOLER than that of the Place Racing, why would you label the Injen WAI and the Place Racing CAI?

It has been proven scientifically that the temperature at the filter of an Injen intake is colder than Place Racing with a temperature scope.

The front mount intake pipe was much cooler than the Fender located CAI.
The Injen is a CAI and I have one on my max.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:41 PM

Are cold air intakes not measured by the temperature of the air coming in at the filter? If the temperature of the air at the end of an Injen intake is COOLER than that of the Place Racing, why would you label the Injen WAI and the Place Racing CAI?

It has been proven scientifically that the temperature at the filter of an Injen intake is colder than Place Racing with a temperature scope.
The testing wasn't done with a Place Racing or Injen intake. The fender mount that was tested was an AEM and the front mount was a custom made intake. It was still polished SS just like the injen.

I am not sure where or how they measure the air coming in but a cold air intake simply takes in colder air than the stock air box. And it DOSN'T have to be mounted in the fender to do so.

Lumbee this is not directed towards you so please ignore.

I am done debating this simply put a CAI is an intake that takes in a cold air charge and uses it to make raw horse power on a NA vehicle. It simply doesn't matter were the air comes from. Below the car, under the car, in the fender what ever. An intake DOES NOT have to be mounted in the fender to be a cold air intake. PERIOD.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 PM

The testing wasn't done with a Place Racing or Injen intake. The fender mount that was tested was an AEM and the front mount was a custom made intake. It was still polished SS just like the injen.

I am not sure where or how they measure the air coming in but a cold air intake simply takes in colder air than the stock air box. And it DOSN'T have to be mounted in the fender to do so.

Lumbee this is not directed towards you so please ignore.

I am done debating this simply put a CAI is an intake that takes in a cold air charge and uses it to make raw horse power on a NA vehicle. It simply doesn't matter were the air comes from. Below the car, under the car, in the fender what ever. An intake DOES NOT have to be mounted in the fender to be a cold air intake. PERIOD.
werd......
Old 01-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Pointy Elbows

Yep

Yeah, I used to have the Injen too and I sold it about 6 months ago when I got my Frankencar.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:35 AM

I plan on installing an injen with the apexi filter I have on my frankencar. It'll look better and i think it will perform better too. The Frank is pulling hot air in...I dont see how that can help performance.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
I plan on installing an injen with the apexi filter I have on my frankencar. It'll look better and i think it will perform better too. The Frank is pulling hot air in...I dont see how that can help performance.
I am an Injen fan but don't overlook the fact that at speed a Hot Air Intake like Frankencar will perform better because the engine bay will have significant air circulation to cool the air temp. I am not saying it will be better or worse than Injen, just better than if it was sitting in rush hour traffic in the summer. For the highway cruisers that rarely see bumper to bumper conditions, the Frankencar might be a better choice. For myself and the traffic around Research Triangle Park, there was only one choice.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:48 PM

is it true that with an injen you lose torque? and why would a frankencar be better than an injen on the highway? Dont both intakes have the same air circulation at highway speeds, especially if you combine an injen intake with an apexi filter???
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 PM

I've heard with the Injen you GAIN torque... low-end torque especially (longer tube)
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The fender mounted CAI is completely enclosed from the outside with all the sheilds. When you cut the hole look inside you can't see anything but the funder and sheilds. In a warm summer day this will cause a more severe heat soaking condition. Even when the car is moving again it doesn't see direct air flow because of it being completely enclosed. It's kinda like driving down the road with your windows up. Yes there is air there but your not seeing the air flow.

If you look down in front where the Injen CAI would go you see ground. There will be more elements let in but will also allow more air flow.
Are you making this up as you go along?

A cold air intake (Place Racing) doesn't mean it has to take air from the fender, but it's typically the best place to draw the coolest air within close proximity of the throttle body. I can assure you that the air in the fender (which is not near as enclosed as you believe), is the best place to draw the coolest air possible with the hood down, especially on a hot day. The piping of the PR pipe is cool to the touch on a hot day after sitting in traffic. A HAI (Frankencar, Injen) will be scalding hot. I know, I've had all types of setups (no Injen, but I've touched it on a hot day - deadly). The Injen intake sits in absolutely the worst place possible in terms of sucking in air. It sits in close proximity of the cooling fans which PULL OUT heat (ie it sucks hot air out of the bay, not into the bay). ALso, the Injen is damn close to the exhaust manifold and a baking engine block. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why Injen intakes can cause pinging on hot days. DINAN (the BMW tuner) only uses true fender-style CAIs because they want intakes that make proven power under all conditions. They understand that putting the intake in the fender makes the best power. Thier M3/M5/3-series/5-series/7-series/Z-series intakes all pull from the fender. They know that the "POP" and HAI setup make a couple more HP in the upper rpms, but the CAIs give more consistent power across are broader powerband. Remember, power under the curve owns.

If the fender had that much cooler air flow why aren't intercoolers mounted there ???
Hmmm...last time I checked turbo Audi's, 300ZX TTs, and 1.8T VW/Audi place their intercoolers in the fenders.

Dave
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave B

A cold air intake (Place Racing) doesn't mean it has to take air from the fender, but it's typically the best place to draw the coolest air within close proximity of the throttle body. I can assure you that the air in the fender (which is not near as enclosed as you believe), is the best place to draw the coolest air possible with the hood down, especially on a hot day. The piping of the PR pipe is cool to the touch on a hot day after sitting in traffic. A HAI (Frankencar, Injen) will be scalding hot. I know, I've had all types of setups (no Injen, but I've touched it on a hot day - deadly). The Injen intake sits in absolutely the worst place possible in terms of sucking in air. It sits in close proximity of the cooling fans which PULL OUT heat (ie it sucks hot air out of the bay, not into the bay). ALso, the Injen is damn close to the exhaust manifold and a baking engine block. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why Injen intakes can cause pinging on hot days. DINAN (the BMW tuner) only uses true fender-style CAIs because they want intakes that make proven power under all conditions. They understand that putting the intake in the fender makes the best power. Thier M3/M5/3-series/5-series/7-series/Z-series intakes all pull from the fender. They know that the "POP" and HAI setup make a couple more HP in the upper rpms, but the CAIs give more consistent power across are broader powerband. Remember, power under the curve owns.

Hmmm...last time I checked turbo Audi's, 300ZX TTs, and 1.8T VW/Audi place their intercoolers in the fenders.

Dave
I rarely say this, but somebody's theory just got

And I was lookin to get an Injen too..........
Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 PM

Dave
so are u saying that PR CAI is the way to go?? because i too was going to get an injen some time soon
Old 01-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
so are u saying that PR CAI is the way to go?? because i too was going to get an injen some time soon
IMO, the GAB intake or PR CAI are probably the best intakes to go with for all around performance. While the GAB does pull in some hot air, it pulls a majority of it's air from nose of the car plus the GAB uses much the OEM plastic intake which doesn't heat soak as badly. The PR CAI (style) is probably the most ideal, but is usually the most expensive.

The Injen, while looking quite nice, is situated in the worst possible location. I constantly read about people noting the location of the filter, but people need to also know about the placement of the metal intake pipe which is right next to a large mass of hot metal (block, head, exhaust manifold, intake manifold).

Dave
Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 AM

thanx for clearing that up....for the non-believers...
Old 01-21-2004, 12:34 PM

The Injen, while looking quite nice, is situated in the worst possible location. I constantly read about people noting the location of the filter, but people need to also know about the placement of the metal intake pipe which is right next to a large mass of hot metal (block, head, exhaust manifold, intake manifold).

Dave

All the things you've said may be true, but according to many people with the Injen and many dyno test there IS an improvement over the stock intake unit. So if its the worst possible location then why does it improve the hp & torque numbers over stock?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDisciple
All the things you've said may be true, but according to many people with the Injen and many dyno test there IS an improvement over the stock intake unit. So if its the worst possible location then why does it improve the hp & torque numbers over stock?
The Injen (as any other intake) produces gains ....theres no question about that
the issue at hand is whether its a CAI - the PR intake is truly a CAI because its set up allows
the best intake path- away from the engine.....and where the coolest air
is avalable...

Good point on Dinan...
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM

So how much better is a PR intake than an injen? I am about to sell my frankencar for an injen but use the apexi filter on the injen...but this is making me think I dont want to do that...The only thing turning me off on the PR is the whole drilling idea.

So basically if the injen will not produce noticeable gains compared to the frankencar but PR will...I think Im sold on PR...help
Old 01-21-2004, 06:46 PM

you guys are arguing way too much about the temperature of the incoming air. you're forgetting an important advantage of a CAI over a WAI: the resonance of the airflow created by the long smooth tube. it's a nice continuous airflow (actually has a bit higher psi than normal, but nowhere near forced induction). hard to explain so look it up

Quick Reply: Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed