5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlight Recall Datadot feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 PM

Headlight Recall Datadot feedback

My uncle works at a body shop. He gets 3/4 stolen max headlight jobs a week, from insurance companies. The shop is in Highland Park NJ near new brunswick and edison. He has recently been getting Maximas that had the datadots/bracket recall done. With the brackets properly installed the lights are almost impossible to steal. But the drawback is the thief with hack at your car worse. He has several attempted Hid thefts where the lights were never stolen but the fenders and hoods where shredded. Its reassuring but still sucks. If we all get the recall done word might get around and thieves might slow down and find a new victim.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:07 PM

tru dat homie now we all just have to do this to make it effective...
Old 01-02-2004, 10:54 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by adamschwartz
My uncle works at a body shop. He gets 3/4 stolen max headlight jobs a week, from insurance companies. The shop is in Highland Park NJ near new brunswick and edison. He has recently been getting Maximas that had the datadots/bracket recall done. With the brackets properly installed the lights are almost impossible to steal. But the drawback is the thief with hack at your car worse. He has several attempted Hid thefts where the lights were never stolen but the fenders and hoods where shredded. Its reassuring but still sucks. If we all get the recall done word might get around and thieves might slow down and find a new victim.

Does the recall effect HID's bought from Courtesy Nissan and placed in a 2000 max? or is it only for the 2002-2003 models that came from the dealer? I paid $1100 for mine on sale a little over a year ago and have never had anyone try to steal them, but why take chances?
Old 01-03-2004, 05:18 AM
PAPA SMURF

exactly what I stated in a previous thread......the surrounding areas will get chewed up while criminals still try and grab whatever they can......and now your left with a mess, albeit working lights...

Old 01-03-2004, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by skalberti
Does the recall effect HID's bought from Courtesy Nissan and placed in a 2000 max? or is it only for the 2002-2003 models that came from the dealer? I paid $1100 for mine on sale a little over a year ago and have never had anyone try to steal them, but why take chances?
From what I understand, the recall applies to 2k2-2k3 Maximas in the NE states where HID theft is very high. I have a 2k2 that is not part of the recall because I live in the south. Your car would only be covered by your insurance minus your deductible. The insurance might only be willing to pay for non HID headlights since that is what your car came with.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:47 AM

So my service adv did not lie to me. he said it will take over two hours take the light out prefectly and it impossible to take out just like thoose high end cars like new the 04 max. before the recall you actually grab the light bend it or shake and right now you can't really move or shake the light at all. The piont is if every one did the reacall the thevies will slow down. or get moore plubicies like news, to get thevies aware of data dot. nissan aready step up to the plate it up the people to take this offer,
Old 01-03-2004, 07:10 AM

That's what I was waiting to hear.... Definitive proof from real world experiences that the new brackets are working!!!

Now it's the Maxima owner's responsibility to get this recall performed so thieves will go elsewhere. I'm sure there will be a learning curve with these dumba$$ thieves (just look at how many org members claim that their AE lights are still being ripped out because the thief doesn't look before he leaps), but eventually the word will get out that the Maxima is no longer the primary provider of Xenon bulbs and ballasts!!!

If someone has a copy of the recall letter sent out to the 02-03 owners, please post it so other's on the org can get a hold of it and bring it to their dealers. I have a PDF version to post, but need a host. If you would like to help by hosting my PDF PM me with an email address where I can forward it.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Fox 5 problems solvers should do a new story on the HIDS, saying that they are just about impossible to remove because of the recall. Its the least they can do since i blame them partly because they televised how easy it was to remove them. Then all the theives came out of the woodwork.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyC502
Fox 5 problems solvers should do a new story on the HIDS, saying that they are just about impossible to remove because of the recall. Its the least they can do since i blame them partly because they televised how easy it was to remove them. Then all the theives came out of the woodwork.
That would probably make it worse. Some thieves would take it as a challenge and try to steal them anyway.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
That would probably make it worse. Some thieves would take it as a challenge and try to steal them anyway.
Actually, thats a good point.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:06 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

this is why it still doesn't make me feel good.. i rather have them take my headlights than screw up the whole front end (fenders, hood and bumper) that will make it look like the car was in a front end collision or something and i have to deal with paintwork and risk getting a ****ty job done which will hurt me in the long run and make me suffer every time i look at the car.

my headlights were stolen but it was a very clean job. Although they managed to fry my ECU and screw up 1 door handle breaking into the car.. i didn't have any visible damage to the front end.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:11 PM

Everytime I see your name come up on the threadlist (re: HID Theft), I get nervous seeing as you're one town over from me. j/k

Thank you for the update. I guess it'll take some time before thieves come to realize that our HIDs are more difficult to "procure" (courtesy of Data Dots/brackets) than before. (figures crossed)
Old 01-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I work in the serive department of a Nissan Dealership in NJ, when I started working there I saw at least 3 02/03 Maximas missing headlights and since the DataDot recall has been in effect I haven't seen one yet. I think the thieves are starting to realize how much harder it is to get out with the DD recall. BTW for those of you with 00/01 headlights and HIDs in them I'm pretty sure you can go to the parts counter and buy the brackets used in the DD recall.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by YeYo
I work in the serive department of a Nissan Dealership in NJ, when I started working there I saw at least 3 02/03 Maximas missing headlights and since the DataDot recall has been in effect I haven't seen one yet. I think the thieves are starting to realize how much harder it is to get out with the DD recall. BTW for those of you with 00/01 headlights and HIDs in them I'm pretty sure you can go to the parts counter and buy the brackets used in the DD recall.
You might not be seeing any because they would probably be repaired at a body shop outside of the dealership that you work at.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
You might not be seeing any because they would probably be repaired at a body shop outside of the dealership that you work at.
That could be true but a lot of time people send their cars to dealerships thinking it's the best way to go (especially when insurance is paying for it). Even if you do send your car to a dealership to be repaired after body damage we send the car out to a body shop which we have a contract with. We rarely do any body work. Like I said before, when I started there were 3 in the lot and from what I heard a lot more before I came along (I started the week this recall came into effect).
Old 01-12-2004, 07:37 PM

Sounds exactly like what the folks in the service department of Hilltop Nissan, in NJ, told me. Actually they said a customer came in with damage to the fender and hood, but neither light was taken.

I hope I never have to test this new deterence device, but in case I am marked I'm glad I did the recall.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:49 PM

sounds like it work effectively with the datadot recall
Old 01-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can us Philly people go in and get the data dots done also, or is it just for the New Jersey and New York folks.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by imxelite
Can us Philly people go in and get the data dots done also, or is it just for the New Jersey and New York folks.
Short answer: Yes!!

As well as New York and New Jersey, the letter from Nissan indicated that the recall does apply to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and eastern Pennsylvania Maxima owners.

When I get home, I'll scan the letter and post it.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4

As well as New York and New Jersey, the letter from Nissan indicated that the recall does apply to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and eastern Pennsylvania Maxima owners.

I never got a letter for this, I live in southeastern PA, in Montgomery County. I just called Montgomerville Nissan, and they said they could do the Data DOTs for me, I have an appointment to do that, the sensor recall, and the throttle hesitation TSB on 1-30-04. Big day for the 'ol Max.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:40 AM

How about posting the part numbers that are needed to do this ourselves
Old 01-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Awesome news guys!!! Now everyone needs to go out there and get them done so the trend shifts..

Hopefully they will now be harder to steal then an ACura or BMW set...so the tides will turn and we will be finally left alone.

That sucks that they still F the car up in the process. Maybe you could put a sticky on the headlight somehwere and say (brackets installed" or something like that...

Keep us posted if anyone learns of anyhting else.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by my02black6spdSE
Maybe you could put a sticky on the headlight somehwere and say (brackets installed" or something like that...
Like this maybe:

Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4

This has already been done by soundmike:

http://dev.rootaxs.com/DataDotDoc.PDF
Old 01-13-2004, 11:08 AM

im having my HID recall and Engine sensor recall done this week. I have my frankencar intake also... let see what happens.... =)
Old 01-14-2004, 06:24 AM

dead link above
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 AM

awesome it works. Now everyone go and get it done ASAP!!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by tmuscedere
dead link above
Hmmm... It was working yesterday when I put it up there.

SOUNDMIKE, if you read this... Is the PDF still on your site?

Also, STUDMAN was going to post it on his website. I'm not sure if the link was already dead when I PMed him with it.

If anyone wants the PDF and the link's not working, just PM me, and I'll email it to you.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:36 AM

working now. I had tried it earlier and didnt work
Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by itdood
I never got a letter for this, I live in southeastern PA, in Montgomery County. I just called Montgomerville Nissan, and they said they could do the Data DOTs for me, I have an appointment to do that, the sensor recall, and the throttle hesitation TSB on 1-30-04. Big day for the 'ol Max.
I received a letter in the mail for the recall & I'm in BUCKS COUNTY.

It should cover all of PA.

Call your dealer...

G
Old 01-15-2004, 08:23 AM

I got the HID theft deterant kit about 6 months ago, can the DataDots be put on my car after I already had the other kit in.

I ask because it seems like taking my lights out would destory the rivit looking bolts that are in there, so can I still get the DataDots?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes they can, I also had my HID theft kit put in when it came out last year. I then brought it in for the datadots last month and they did it. Actually the only proof that it was done was those pathetic cartoon stickers they slap on everywhere.