5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Found the Cattman y-pipe bang!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:02 PM

Found the Cattman y-pipe bang!

Not sure if it's been posted before, but I've had a nasty banging in the bottom of the car during wheel hop (so loud you'd think the thing was coming through the floorboard!) A buddy and I did the Cattman install on his car this evening and I took pictures for comparison once I figured it out. So, here goes:

Here are both pipes side by side----notice the difference in length overall of the new pipe:

Not too big a deal....yet. Here is the location of the stock resonator with the stock y-pipe.

Here is the location of the stock resonator with Cattman y-pipe. Note how much farther forward it sits: (Use the front lip of the resonator as a reference point.)

Still not too big a deal, right?? Here is the after effect after a month of driving:

Would I trade the performance gains for the banging?? Nope. I think the solution here is to get a cat-back with some flexibility in B-pipe length and space it back 3/4 of an inch or so to compensate for the Cattman pipe.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all you need is a few washers on that cross brace to create clearance....
Old 01-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Man, if you'll look at the bend in the b-pipe you'll notice that contact point is NOT in the cross brace area--it is in front of the RR wheel. The brace is off my car presently, and guess what--the bang is the same.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:13 PM

have you tried pulling/pushing the pipe back? the rubber holder on the hanger can give you some room if you position right( i had that prob w/ my b pipe) i hit as huge pothole and it began banging- went to the muffler shop-put it on the lift and tucked in with some pushing
Old 01-12-2004, 09:34 PM

Look at the pictures again. The shorter overall length in the new Y pulls the entire exhaust forward on the car---enough that it makes contact with the body as indicated in the pic. The hanger has nothing to do with it. It affects the up and down location to an extent (at the hanger), but has little to no control over the front-to-rear location of the cat-back piping.

I would imagine that a good 1/2 spacer behind the cat would solve the issue (b/t the resonator and the cat.)

There is no amount of 'adjusting' that will fix this issue. An exhaust man and a welder could though..... ;-)
Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by t56gen3
Not sure if it's been posted before, but I've had a nasty banging in the bottom of the car during wheel hop (so loud you'd think the thing was coming through the floorboard!) A buddy and I did the Cattman install on his car this evening and I took pictures for comparison once I figured it out. So, here goes:

Here are both pipes side by side----notice the difference in length overall of the new pipe:

Not too big a deal....yet. Here is the location of the stock resonator with the stock y-pipe.

Here is the location of the stock resonator with Cattman y-pipe. Note how much farther forward it sits: (Use the front lip of the resonator as a reference point.)

Still not too big a deal, right?? Here is the after effect after a month of driving:

Would I trade the performance gains for the banging?? Nope. I think the solution here is to get a cat-back with some flexibility in B-pipe length and space it back 3/4 of an inch or so to compensate for the Cattman pipe.
Thanks for the heads up. You might want to contact Brian Catts and let him know. He is a great guy to work with.

BTW, you got more pics of your car with those wheels. They look awesome.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Thanks for the heads up. You might want to contact Brian Catts and let him know. He is a great guy to work with.

BTW, you got more pics of your car with those wheels. They look awesome.
Thanks for the props. I have a couple more pics. I won't insert them for those who don't want to wait to load.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Old 01-13-2004, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well the muff shop had to fabricate my piece of **** budget b-pipe to fit better and at the same time made sure everything lined up properly for the y-pipe. $100 for ****ty muffler and b-pipe install then $140 for fixing all their ****ty welds, fabricating the b-pipe and installing the y-pipe. I'm now very happy with mine.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 AM
I miss the .org!

Man, that sucks. I had some fitment issues with my Warpspeed pipe. I really like Cattman stuff, but for the price they charge, I'm disappointed that this product requires trimming, and has fitment issues too!
Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 AM

I agree that I was a little disappointed. But, the car runs a sh!tload better with it. And since header performance gains seem to be lacking.........this is easy install, etc.

I guess I chalk it up to 'life with modding' (though I'd rather NOT have a dent in my stock piping!) Those who have modded cars in the past know quite well that nothing ever fits perfect the first time. The more you mod, the more you mod......
Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 PM

I am the buddy that installed the new Y-Pipe. I do agree that it performas better so far. It also makes my powertech muffler sound mean as hell. It sounds as deep as a 350z if not deeper. Also, 80% of the highway drone is gone. Now if I can just get the banging to go away. I think I am going to get a custom made B-Pipe with resonator to fix it.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 AM

I can't believe Cattman would make the y-pipe shorter for basically no reason....

Has anyone hooked up their Cattman y-pipe with a Cattman b-pipe? Do they make up for the length change in the b-pipe?

How do you find someone to custom weld a b-pipe with resonator? Is that hard to do?

I'm waiting to buy this thing...but if it's banging the underside of my car, forget it.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:03 PM

If you have the stock cat-back, I would expect it to bang. Aftermarket cat-back will probably be ok. We are arguing with Cattman in another thread.

If you don't mind cutting your stock system you could have a piece welded in to space it back.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:54 PM

don't know what rear sec you are using but I have the full cattman system on my car the bang is in the rear and you need to add a hanger on the muffler sec on the pipe that comes down over the rear and mount to the frame (the stock hangers suck and if you put and a/m muffler and rear on it will make noise over bumps and stuff and w/h) as far as w/h you need to go with the cattman moter mounts it will fix the problem
Old 01-14-2004, 03:56 PM

any more info on this email me or give me a call about how to do this mod
Old 01-14-2004, 03:58 PM

i think all they have to do is get the car on a lift and pull/push away the rubber/hanger to the point where it'll clear perfectly
Old 01-14-2004, 04:15 PM

i have the cattman y pipe and cattback. the only banging i experience is in moving from a stop in 1st gear, but that's if i hardly use much gas when i let off the clutch, so i give a little more revs. the banging is coming from the contact between the resonator and the cross brace. the vibration isn't much at all. the noise disappears once i get moving. even during low speed 1st or 2nd gear, it's gone. you may have to loosen all the nuts/bolts and re-straighten the piping, shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by subdocmax
don't know what rear sec you are using but I have the full cattman system on my car the bang is in the rear and you need to add a hanger on the muffler sec on the pipe that comes down over the rear and mount to the frame (the stock hangers suck and if you put and a/m muffler and rear on it will make noise over bumps and stuff and w/h) as far as w/h you need to go with the cattman moter mounts it will fix the problem

I have the entire cattman system and except for modifying the stock hanger in rear to get rid of banging.. I love this system.. the entire system is the way to go.

I don't know what you are talking about the motor mounts effecting the banging .. I have them installed but I would not recommend for this problem.. or for people that don't want a little bit of hard shifting or the feel of stall at very slow speeds.. that's just the way they are ..

Just my .02
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i got the cattman y on my 02. it doesnt bang or anything...maybe im or im lucky or just

Old 01-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

does anyone with the greddy cat-back have the banging issues?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Again, I don't think ANY aftermarket cat-back will have the same issue I am (the aftermarket ones are routed slightly different than stock and have more clearance.) I would only expect the STOCK cat-back to possibly experience this on SOME cars---not all.

Urethane motor mounts will prevent the motor from torquing front to rear and prevent movement of the exhaust system as a whole---thus eliminating the contact with the body.

And again, I have no contact with the cross-brace. Mine is removed completely and there is no sign of contact on it---only on the B-pipe as shown in pic.