5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Tokico Illuminas and Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 02:18 AM

Installed Tokico Illuminas and Eibachs

I just got back from testing out my illumina/eibach set-up set on 1 all around. All i can say is wow. My car is on rails and it will only get better as I set the struts stiffer. I was afraid eibachs would be too stiff but i am very happy with the ride quality with the struts on the softest setting. Its not harsh at all. It actually seems much more comfortable because the car doesnt bounce around. The drop is perfect IMO. Its not all that noticable and I dont have to worry about scraping my front end on the ground. I cant even begin to explain how happy i am with this suspension. All the nasty maxima body roll is gone and there is very little nose dive when i slam the brakes. The car is very neutral when set to 1 all around. Slight understeer sometimes when making tight turns but you can get oversteer with a little lift-off and flick. The rear could definately stand to be stiffer. Im going to try 2F/2R next and then 2F/3R. I need time to learn and evaluate each setting though. Im going to get a RSB sooner or later to finish up my suspension. Anyway i wont drag on about this i just wanted to post my initial impressions. I had a great time testing this ish out tonight...except for when the LAPD stopped me to ask why i thought it was ok to drift a left turn at 45 LOL But they let me go with a warning so its all good.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:32 AM

Thats awsome. I cant wait to get my illuminas and tein h tech on hopefully in the next week. But keep updating on the settings you like. I would like to have your opinion when you get it right.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

now u ahve me even more excited to get mine combo on
Old 01-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
I just got back from testing out my illumina/eibach set-up set on 1 all around. All i can say is wow. My car is on rails and it will only get better as I set the struts stiffer. I was afraid eibachs would be too stiff but i am very happy with the ride quality with the struts on the softest setting. Its not harsh at all. It actually seems much more comfortable because the car doesnt bounce around. The drop is perfect IMO. Its not all that noticable and I dont have to worry about scraping my front end on the ground. I cant even begin to explain how happy i am with this suspension. All the nasty maxima body roll is gone and there is very little nose dive when i slam the brakes. The car is very neutral when set to 1 all around. Slight understeer sometimes when making tight turns but you can get oversteer with a little lift-off and flick. The rear could definately stand to be stiffer. Im going to try 2F/2R next and then 2F/3R. I need time to learn and evaluate each setting though. Im going to get a RSB sooner or later to finish up my suspension. Anyway i wont drag on about this i just wanted to post my initial impressions. I had a great time testing this ish out tonight...except for when the LAPD stopped me to ask why i thought it was ok to drift a left turn at 45 LOL But they let me go with a warning so its all good.
You do both together? I have had eibachs on a while.. and am adding illuminas soon.. have them just too cold to install
Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by lv6speedmax
Thats awsome. I cant wait to get my illuminas and tein h tech on hopefully in the next week. But keep updating on the settings you like. I would like to have your opinion when you get it right.
update: I set the struts on #2 all around last night. Its considerably stiffer but not uncomfortable unless your on a really bumby road. There is less body roll and much less nose dive upon braking. I can take 90 degree right turns at 30 without any wheel spin at all, and i can drift it easily at 40-45 if there are two lanes. The way the car breaks loose and regains traction is amazing. I had to take my car back to the shop because of an unrelated problem so i wont be able to play with the settings again until friday probably.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 AM

are they easily adjustible? Is it like a **** on KYB AGXs? Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
update: I set the struts on #2 all around last night. Its considerably stiffer but not uncomfortable unless your on a really bumby road. There is less body roll and much less nose dive upon braking. I can take 90 degree right turns at 30 without any wheel spin at all, and i can drift it easily at 40-45 if there are two lanes. The way the car breaks loose and regains traction is amazing. I had to take my car back to the shop because of an unrelated problem so i wont be able to play with the settings again until friday probably.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vadim
are they easily adjustible? Is it like a **** on KYB AGXs? Thanks!

They are easily adjustible from the screw on the top of the struts. There is a little screw with an arrow and you can adjust it 5 ways. Just pop the hood and trunk and you can change it to whatever you want in a minute. I leave the trunk interior unattached so i can pull it back to adjust the rears. You just have to remove two clips (the ones for the trunk net thing in the back) to be able to get to the rear struts.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:09 PM

How much did you get them for? now i really want one..
Old 01-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by lv6speedmax
I don't want to burst your bubble.. but I figured I would pass this thread past you.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=277906

Main part you should read is DaveB's response.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by twotone
You do both together? I have had eibachs on a while.. and am adding illuminas soon.. have them just too cold to install

Which did you install first?
Both together?
I am trying to see what I am going to feel when I get the illuminas installed.
Good luck with the setup. (Just about the best out there w/o going for Jics)
Old 01-15-2004, 12:51 PM

2kGLE,

What kind of wheels/tires combo are you running?

~limsandy
Old 01-15-2004, 02:00 PM

kpby911 - struts were $430 shipped and springs were around $250 i think

twotone - i did both at the same time.

limsandy - im running 225/55 Bridgestone RE 750s on stock 16" rims at 45 psi right now.