5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which would you choose: Nissan Maxima SE 2001 (base) v. Volkswagen Jetta VR6 (loaded)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 02:15 PM
chig

Hey guys:

I'm going to buy a new car soon and I've narrowed it down to two: a Nissan Maxima SE (base) without the C&C package for 23,500 MSRP or a Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 (completely loaded) for the exact same price. If you have any opinions on this comparison, please reply back. I've test driven both cars and both have pros and cons to their quality, driving experience, reliability, etc....tell me what you think? Please take in the factor that I'm going to graduate from college and I'm on a somewhat limited budget (i.e. <$25,000). The most important factor is the ride and enjoyment of driving a vehicle...right?...Right! Thanks!

Old 03-06-2001, 02:22 PM

GTI VR6 loaded! or the Max.. Jetta is inbetween the two.. nutthin specail imho.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:00 PM
Got Bent?

In terms of fun factor, the GTI VR6 would be the one. But, if you want more versatility and a more luxurious type feel, then the Max would be the one to get. The jetta, IMO, is nothing special as Punkdork mentioned. They are all great cars though. If I could fit in a GTI, it would be a nice car, but I need some more leg room, so the Max was a great choice.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:25 PM

The Jetta will be more fun to drive, but it has no rear seat. I have owned 2 and they were good cars, no problems, but I have also owned 3 maximas and they are also excellent.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:27 PM

GTIs are surprisingly large inside. I am 6'1" and about 275 and I fit in them comfortably.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:56 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by punkdork
GTIs are surprisingly large inside. I am 6'1" and about 275 and I fit in them comfortably.
hmmm....I guess they aren't that small....My friend has a 95 or 96 GTI VR6. It isn't really small, but I feel a bit cramped in it. I am 6'3", 190, btw....
Old 03-06-2001, 06:19 PM

Get the GTI 1.8T!!!

or if you want four doors, the jetta 1.8T

That turbo engine is absolutely incredible!

It is faster than the Maxima in first gear!

Just chip it, and you will have a monster!
Old 03-06-2001, 06:34 PM

I looked at the Jetta 1.8T and if it had a better clutch I would have bought one. I don't know waht it is with the Jettas...you step on the clutch and it drops to the floor with almost zero resistance..also the clutch feels too far over to the right...I feel like I have to hunt for it and contort my leg to engage it....fun car to drive though...more fun than my auto Max.

Funny thing is that I sat in a Passat and a GTI VR6 and the clutch felt great in both those cars in both the positioning and resistance. The GTI is a really neat car..I love the seat adj thingy on VW's...the jack handle thingy

I have a base SE...get the loaded VW...my car seems so plain and I dont have the time to add all the crap I should have done in the first place.
Old 03-06-2001, 06:52 PM

what about warranty??

..if your on a tight budget, and plan to be on one for a few years, which brand provides the better warranty? My recollections are that VW's warranty sux big time compared to Japanese manufacturers. the thing is, from my V DUB experiences, you will be need your warranty guaranteed! Plus, a LOT of V Dub owners I am speaking to of late, are complaining big time that their engines are burning oil at uncomfortable rates. A girl at work carries spare oil with her in her one year old Jetta. My mom does the same with her 1.8 turbo Beetle. I hear it again and again. Fun factor...maybe...long term reliability...???????
taking your chances. The VW dealers around here even warn customers to check the oil during EVERY fill up of gas,as the engine has a tendency to burn oil..I mean, naturally all engines do. but NOT like the DUBSTERS
Old 03-06-2001, 09:07 PM

For what it is worth, VW is coming out with a V8, with lots of power, in the near future.
Old 03-06-2001, 11:18 PM

I say go with the VW VR6. My friend has the GTI Golf VR6, man that car is so quick and fast. German Engineering is much more better then Japanese. If you take the fully loaded Jetta it will be more luxorious and enjoyalbe then the base max with nothing on it. The jetta might have a smaller engine but compared with the weight it is basically the same, though the jetta will have everything and the max won't.
Old 03-07-2001, 05:18 AM
Banned

I have or had both...>

Originally posted by chig
Hey guys:

I'm going to buy a new car soon and I've narrowed it down to two: a Nissan Maxima SE (base) without the C&C package for 23,500 MSRP or a Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 (completely loaded) for the exact same price. If you have any opinions on this comparison, please reply back. I've test driven both cars and both have pros and cons to their quality, driving experience, reliability, etc....tell me what you think? Please take in the factor that I'm going to graduate from college and I'm on a somewhat limited budget (i.e. <$25,000). The most important factor is the ride and enjoyment of driving a vehicle...right?...Right! Thanks!
My wife bought a 2000 VR6 GLS 5-speed 11 months ago. The car was tight, great suspension with
tons of torque...181hp at the wheels. It was in the shop 7 time for stupid electrical things like switches,
check engine lights, door rattles, etc... You need to drive the VW because there where two things that
bothered me and one was the throttle delay. The VWs have drive-by-wire, there for the delay. The shifter was very hard to get into second gear and the brake pads turn your new 16" rims black as night. The braking was awesome but you payed for it by cleaning the rims once a week. We did chip the car which added 9hp at the wheels and got rid of the throttle delay, that was the best $400 we ever spent. Two weeks ago my wife hit a bridge head-on with the car, she was going 70mph and had to avoid someone who got
into her lane. Totalled the car(with 26,000 miles on the odometer) and she walked away...very safe but would not buy another.

We also have a 2001 Maxima, no unexpected problems. Drive both but with all the horror stories I've heard about VW Jetta, GTi and bugs your better off with Nissan.

"That's all I have to say about that"...Forest Gump

[Edited by Jeff K on 03-07-2001 at 10:09 AM]
Old 03-07-2001, 05:48 AM

Chig

Chig,

Keep this in mind. You are comparing two cars in totally different size categories. The Maxima is a mid size and the Jetta a compact. The Jetta is one of the most problematic cars that VW makes. Take a look at the complaints that Jetta owners have at Edmunds and other boards. Consumer Reports no longer recommends the Jetta because of reliability problems. Also, VWs have very short warranties and the repair jobs can get pretty expensive after the warranty is up...if you are on a budget keep that in mind. I think the Passat compares better to the Maxima, and it is made in Germany not Mexico like Jetta. If you are set on a sporty compact I would wait and drive a Sentra SE-R V-spec...this car will offer performance, reliability at a bargain price.

Good luck,

Speed
Old 03-07-2001, 08:01 AM

Maybe you can go on the Golf GTI VR6. Its very small though so think about it
Old 03-07-2001, 08:01 AM

I looked at Jetta 1.8t, I agree its not a bad lookin car, once you add a nice body kit and nice set of rims/tires, and do a Turbo upgrade w/a chip. But look at the warranty, only 24k or 2 yrs, and it sucks...and they make them in Mexico, their reliablity is a lot worse then max's...I've done some search and come to conclusion to get another maxima, after having 92 se and 93 se. IMPO JETTA is a step down from a maxima, even if its a turbo, 4 cyl is still a 4 cyl, just wait for the summer to come, and turn on your A/C.
Go with a Max...
Old 03-07-2001, 08:15 AM

The 1.8 is a four cylinder but it is a kick @ss engine. Its a 5 valve/cylinder audi engine. Same engine you can get in the A4 and the same one that comes in all versions of the TT. Its plenty of engine to power a light car and when you throw a chip on it or upgrade your turbo... look out!
Old 03-07-2001, 09:43 AM
Oiprocs

either or

Originally posted by chig
Hey guys:

They're both nice cars, it's just a matter of your opinion and what you're looking for in your car. But I know I do have to say if you're going to go with the jetta...screw the GLS and just order the GLX. It's fully loaded and gives nice little extra touches that you don't get with the GLS...without having to add them. The only options you have are the kind of CD player and auto or manual. Check it out. (SAME PRICE)

Old 03-07-2001, 02:54 PM

I went through this exact same debate when I purchased my car and I think you know which way I decided. I know both these cars inside and out and I like the Maxima better. The Jetta's Back seat is too small for my taste. The manual transmission seems to be geared wrong for the engine. If you want to get going you really have to dump that clutch, might be a lack of torque too I guess. Another negative that some people might not In regards to that warranty, its actually better than our 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty because they pick up all maintance costs. Plus, their Powertrain warranty is 10 yr/100,000 miles which means they must think something about their motors. Another plus, is that the Jetta has a bunch of nifty features like the head and side airbags, the handle inside the trunk lid that allows you to leave your fingerprints off the trunklid, the keyhole for the trunk in the VW symbol, the struts used for the trunk. The 100% usable trunk. There are a bunch of others too, but that's my short little list. Even with these features I still like the Maxima better overall, even without the leather, wood, and memory seat. I think that a "base" Maxima will suit you fine, I love my car.

I almost bought the car because its trunk would have been easier to pimp then the Max's, but that's my perogative.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:32 PM

Jetta and Max

I would get the Jetta for a few reasons:

1.) European engineering- Quiet, safe, comfy ride, great handling, nicer sounds
2.) European quality- I love the soft touch plastics
3.) European styling- It sort of looks cute and stylish yet aggresive

I feel it is superior because it is sort of like a minature A4 1.8T. And for under $25K, the German engineering is hard to beat!