5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just picked up a set of ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 AM

Just picked up a set of ignition coils

Called Southpoint Nissan in Texas. Total w/ tax and shipping was $337.93. Does this sound about right? This is w/ a 20% discount he said he gives people referred from maxima.org. I gotta say, the guy was much better than any dealers around my area.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kinda pricey, IMO. if you shop around on ebay, you might get them all for $250 plus shipping.

ask Dave B on this board. he works at a nissan dealer and he gets us good deals all the time.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 AM

Well, its too late now, I ordered them this morning. I couldn't wait any longer. It is getting to the point where my car is missing every time I run it. Is it possible that I have done any damage to it like the cat, valves, etc? Thanks!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chops2101
Well, its too late now, I ordered them this morning. I couldn't wait any longer. It is getting to the point where my car is missing every time I run it. Is it possible that I have done any damage to it like the cat, valves, etc? Thanks!
possibly just the cat...but it still better than pinging. you can always do an oil report and see if there's any exscessive wear on your engine components.

when the engine misses, you just shoot bunch of fuel into the engine with out igniting it. Check your plugs, it might look wet too.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace the ignition coils on a 2k? I understand it's not too complicated of a process.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
possibly just the cat...but it still better than pinging. you can always do an oil report and see if there's any exscessive wear on your engine components.

when the engine misses, you just shoot bunch of fuel into the engine with out igniting it. Check your plugs, it might look wet too.
my cars been misfiring on & off for 2 months now.... replaced 1 coil, it was ok for a bit, then 2nd coil goes... then the third one goes too! just fixed all of them yesterday... I noticed that when the car misfire it smells, I guess unburn fuel gets shot out of the exhaust? did I do any damage to the car? hopefully the cat isn't too messed up since I have to do inspection in April lol
Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by smithson
Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace the ignition coils on a 2k? I understand it's not too complicated of a process.
Thanks
It's not complicated. There are three ignition coils at the back of the engine, and three at the front.

Rear three: With a socket set and an extension neck, so that you can reach the bolts, unscrew the brass colored bolt holding in each ignition coil. Go one at a time. You will need to unhook each coil from its wire harness (just press in, and wire-socket will pop off) and then, with the coil unhooked, and the bolt taken out, just yank on the coil until it comes out. I personally used needlenose pliers and grabbed the plastic at the top of the coil. You'll hear a popping sound. Insertion is opposite of removal.

As you move towards the driver's side of the car, it will become harder to get at the coils. The final one for me required me to unscrew the clamps holding in place the throttle and cruise control cables. Use an open-ended or adjustable wrench for that. Just loosen them a touch, and you'll be able to get the cables out of the way to access the last coil.

Front three: Same as the rear, but access is infinitely easier. The only extra step is to remove the engine cover, which is held in place by 3 (I think only three) screws. To unscrew these you'll need a set of alan keys.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
kinda pricey, IMO. if you shop around on ebay, you might get them all for $250 plus shipping.

ask Dave B on this board. he works at a nissan dealer and he gets us good deals all the time.
erm... DAVEB is from South Point Nissan...

Maybe he talked to somebody other than Dave?
I can see $336 if he did overnight shipping or something... I bought 6 coils + 6 copper spark plugs from DAVEB with FedEx 2-day and it came to around $326 total
Old 01-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by costcowholesale
my cars been misfiring on & off for 2 months now.... replaced 1 coil, it was ok for a bit, then 2nd coil goes... then the third one goes too! just fixed all of them yesterday... I noticed that when the car misfire it smells, I guess unburn fuel gets shot out of the exhaust? did I do any damage to the car? hopefully the cat isn't too messed up since I have to do inspection in April lol

so does it happen to the same cylinder?

I dont think it will do any harm if you dont hear any pinging. if there is, probabily it just the cat and a cat is always cheaper than an egine rebuilt.

Originally Posted by spirilis
erm... DAVEB is from South Point Nissan...

really? I didnt know that
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Well it is safer to buy ignition coils off of SWA or dave burnette. If you buy off ebay make sure the coils have the silver dot on all of them. That shows the updated coils.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Well it is safer to buy ignition coils off of SWA or dave burnette. If you buy off ebay make sure the coils have the silver dot on all of them. That shows the updated coils.

I wouldnt buy the coils from eBay. I want to make sure they are genuine, new and updated opposed to old defective ones.
I got them from Dave for $309 shipped. No tax since I am in CA.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by smithson
Thanks
Here's a site from a fellow Maxima.org member that I have bookmarked. It's for spark plugs but you need to remove the coils to get to the plugs.

http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
Old 01-30-2004, 10:42 AM

I got the coils today. Which ones are front and rear? I am assuming the ones in the long skinny box are the rear, and the others are the front. am I correct?
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:58 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Dave B is not the screen name of the Nissan Parts guy. The nissan parts guy S/N is; > DAVEB <