5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

damaged rim and break job+other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:03 PM

damaged rim and break job+other stuff

Dunno why my first post failed. Have to type everything again.

I took my car in for service because I got a flyer that there was a recall my Maxima '00. I showed them the tech bulletin on the front brake rotors being warped. And that I was having that problem. He said he never heard of that. I showed him the link from here. He'll have the tech look at it. I go home.

I get a call saying that my car is two months out of warranty for it, so I have to pay. He also said that my inkie rims were over tightened and caused the warped rotors. I was like whatever just tell me you aren't going to cover it. Oh, so they need me to come back and drop off the wheel lock removal tool.

I get dropped off and wait 2.5 hours for it to be done. My wife needed to leave. Anyways, I get the car and I see these 5 dents in both front rims. All from the air guns I'm guessing. I show it to them and they give me a number to take my rim to and have it repaired. The more I think about it, I should have them replaced by them. They are new.

Also, I noticed my car is more jittery now that I got them back. It feels like every bump on the road makes the car dart another way or bounce. Is this from the break fixing? Anybody can guess why?

*message edit for most spelling errors because some readers can't stand it*
Old 01-27-2004, 11:11 PM

how do I post a image? I could post what the rim looks like. I checked the faq but it says use the browse button and there is none.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Horra!!

why doesn't anybody know how to spell brake?

break - > I'm going to take a break from bad spelling or I'm going to break the oppression of bad spelling and grammar.

brake -> I applied the brake to decelerate my vehicle and I'm pretty bad at spelling.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:40 AM

Um because I spelled it wrong? Used to spell checker w/grammer checker I suppose. Get a life and post on topic at least.

leik msot ppeole can sitll raed tinhgs, eevn wehn efvrynig is sepleld wnorg.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ok

I have heard that over tightening lugs can cause rotor warpage, but thats not really the whole case for you. It COULD have added to your problem, but Nissan has problems with rotors on the 5th gen cars. This is just a copout for them. Being 2 months out of warranty did not help either. The fact that they "never heard of that problem" was your first clue you were going to get jagged around. Poor business practices.

I would show them a receipt of when you purchased the rims (you said they were new) and tell them its unacceptable to have rims XX old and be damaged already. Make sure to politely and calmly work your way up the ladder.

Get a torque wrench or borrow one from somebody. Loosen up your lugs with the wheels on the ground (of course one corner at a time). With your wheels in the air (properly jacked up and secured with a jack stand) remove the wheels and see if you might need hub spacers. The inner diameter of the rim and the outer diameter should be so close together, you cant get a piece of paper in between them. If this is your case, just "putting" the rim back on can cause lots of vibration too.

Should this be your case, you will want to hand tighten each lug by hand, wiggling the rim back and forth to try and get it to seat as close to proper as you can. Just because we have beveled lugs, people think it automatically seats itself...which is not always true. Proceed to do this, only hand tight for each lug in a star fashion. Then once they are all hand tight...then use a wrench and tighten them a tad more. Same thing...star fashion. Finally use the torque wrench and tighten each lug to 83-85 ft/lbs, using the star fashion.

I had the same problem when I first got aftermarket rims until I found the hub spacers. Then my vibration was history.

Good luck man!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 AM

thanks for the info. I figure I wont touch it. I'll let them check the rim. It was fin before they removed the rims, so I'm guessing its eithe improperly put on or something else worse.