5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed RSB. What's that banging noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just installed RSB. What's that banging noise?

Whenever I hit a decent bump or the rear end comes down I hear aloud bang or grinding noise. Is there a break in period for the RSB or is something wrong. It sounds like the bolts are sliding against the axle or the frame. Anyone experience this before or know what this is and what do I need to do to fix it? This mod really tightens up the steering. But the sound isn't worth it. How tight is bar supposed to be tightened? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Na, once its installed, you should be good to go. Which bar did you install and did you take any pics of it afterwards? Might be misalligned.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

If it's a Stillen bar you might have it installed too far forward. Check the center of the bar and the axle, if they are less than a half inch then it needs to be moved back. You will experience the sound going over a bump and on hard turning.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:59 PM

It's an Addco Sway Bar. I came off the end of the bar about an inch for the bolt which mounts to the side frame. The other ones I came about 2 inches iff the curve. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow to see if anyone can spot what's wrong.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
It's an Addco Sway Bar. I came off the end of the bar about an inch for the bolt which mounts to the side frame. The other ones I came about 2 inches iff the curve. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow to see if anyone can spot what's wrong.
This is a common problem with the addco unit. Some have adjusted successfully - others have modified their bushings. Search should help you out here.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by housecor
Search should help you out here.
The search feature is not working for anyone at this time...FYI
Old 02-17-2004, 02:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
Whenever I hit a decent bump or the rear end comes down I hear aloud bang or grinding noise. Is there a break in period for the RSB or is something wrong. It sounds like the bolts are sliding against the axle or the frame. Anyone experience this before or know what this is and what do I need to do to fix it? This mod really tightens up the steering. But the sound isn't worth it. How tight is bar supposed to be tightened? Thanks for the help.
On mine, the pass side bushing mount was barely hitting part of the suspension yoke. You have to cut off one corner of the bushing mount that came with the sway bar to make it clear. Pull off the sway bar and you'll definately see how what part you have to cut.

Or, move both mounts out about an inch. That should give you the clearance but you won't get as tight of steering. I just cut mine off to get it the way I wanted it. If you don't have an air saw a hacksaw will do fine.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
The search feature is not working for anyone at this time...FYI
search feature works. you can only search for one word at a time though!

back to the topic, did you remove the ABS line brackets? once i did that and zip tied that line to the E-brake line, i had to bend out the e-brake bracket to fit the RSB bracket on without rubbing the e-brake line. also you can feel on the rear axle, there are two raised notches on each end and i put the RSB U-bolts right before that raised piece. make sure everything is nice and tight and you should have no problem.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:27 AM
NT2SHBBY

the U bolt brackets need to be moved further outward towards the wheels of the car