5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Maxima NA trap speed record

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't mean to harp on this, but there's no real way around it. He's got to be ~270fwhp to pull that kind of trap (assuming the track calculates trap speed with the current method). As for the LS1s that were running, how do we know they were good drivers? Since they're not posting we don't know if they were getting 2.3-2.4 60 foots and/or missing gears. I've watched all too many LS1s light the tires through the gears 1-3 and bark 4th and still end up with lower 14s at 102mph+. I've watched these same guys throw on slicks the same day and turn around and bust high 12s@110mph+. I'm usually hanging out with my F-Body friends when I'm at the track so I'd like to believe I know what these cars are capable of.

Dave
Dave, thats what makes me ponder on this. I am on my350z.com and they have 2 different aftermarket intake designs. Both of them provide very little peak hp from what I have seen. The guys over there with highly modded Z's don't trap this high and they are putting out ~255 rwhp. And I am sorry, please don't take this the wrong way, but if a N/A Max beats a LS1, it's because of poor driving and/or it is a auto with poor gearing.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Damn time to take my old 3.0 to the dyno as I beat out my friends bone stock 350Z ( ran 14.0 ) everytime we try racing on a deserted road. Maximas Own !

"Real racers run their cars at the track or dyno, not on their desktop"- Me.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:28 PM
VQ Wizard

The 350Z weighs in at over 3300 pounds before driver and you can't remove as much weight from it.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Somehow it did what it did that day at the track and I can't be happier with those results.
I totally agree. You've got the slips and that's all that really matters. It is legit and it ran what it ran.

FYI for other 3.5VQ comparisons, I received the May issue of SCC and they test a stock 350Z Track vs the Nismo S-Tune (exhaust) vs the Nismo R-Tune (exhaust, headers, cams, intake). On the Dynojet the Track made 239hp/237tq, S-Tune made 243hp/238tq, and the R-Tune made 249hp/242tq. In the 1/4 mile (uncorrected, 1200' above sea level) the Track went 14.2@98.5mph, the S-Tune went 14.1@98.4mph, and the R-Tune went 14.1@99.3mph. All cars were running the same tires on forged 18" rims. According to Nada.com, the 350Z Track weighs in at 3225lbs. The power to weight ratio of the R-Tune with a 180lbs driver is about 13.7:1. The Track dyno numbers seem to be right on for what I've seen at my dyno shop and in the 1/4 mile (1100' in KC).

Dave
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
Dave, thats what makes me ponder on this. I am on my350z.com and they have 2 different aftermarket intake designs. Both of them provide very little peak hp from what I have seen. The guys over there with highly modded Z's don't trap this high and they are putting out ~255 rwhp. And I am sorry, please don't take this the wrong way, but if a N/A Max beats a LS1, it's because of poor driving and/or it is a auto with poor gearing.
I am on my350z also and know quite a few local 350z guys myself. Im still trying to figure out what your info about the 350z has anything remotely associated with the Maxima. First of all you information is null b/c the 350z manifold breathes 10 times better than the 02-03 Maxima manifold stock for stock so that comparison is not even worth comparing. Look at the were each car peaks in power and you will easily tell that a Maxima with less peak whp that can mantain the peak number and hold it until redline (stock manifold peaks around 5700) will easily out preform a 350z at the track. YOur last statement is sorry and ignorant but if you believe such non sense b/c you haven't seen a N/A 350z run Matts trap speeds than thats just pitiful. We all know LS1's are unbeatable so when you have something valuable to add then please speak up.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:25 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I just want some of the air your cars are breathing in NC, because I have seen many 2k2-3's run at the track...even Chinkzilla....and none of us can come close to those numbers or trap speeds.....no freakin way. Not even close. My friend Mike who had his 6 speed , with all the bolt ons, couldnt touch that number. I wont compare my car , at its present state anymore, because I have a huge audio system , and the big wheels....but I trap a consistent 94 mph on all my runs. I doubt if I stripped my car to the bone, I could match those numbers.....My dyno numbers show that Im not running a weak Max either...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
I am on my350z also and know quite a few local 350z guys myself. Im still trying to figure out what your info about the 350z has anything remotely associated with the Maxima. First of all you information is null b/c the 350z manifold breathes 10 times better than the 02-03 Maxima manifold stock for stock so that comparison is not even worth comparing. Look at the were each car peaks in power and you will easily tell that a Maxima with less peak whp that can mantain the peak number and hold it until redline (stock manifold peaks around 5700) will easily out preform a 350z at the track. YOur last statement is sorry and ignorant but if you believe such non sense b/c you haven't seen a N/A 350z run Matts trap speeds than thats just pitiful. We all know LS1's are unbeatable so when you have something valuable to add then please speak up.
You just stated that the 350 manifold breathes better than the Max's. The Kinetix plenum breathes even better up top than the stock plenum. Both cars have basically the same engine, with slightly different breathing charachteristics. Now, the modded Z's IMO putting down more hp to the ground aren't trapping this high. That is why I am comparing the 2 vehicles. Maybe if SR20 let us into what he did to his intake, it could shed some light on the subject.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You just stated that the 350 manifold breathes better than the Max's. The Kinetix plenum breathes even better up top than the stock plenum. Both cars have basically the same engine, with slightly different breathing charachteristics. Now, the modded Z's IMO putting down more hp to the ground aren't trapping this high. That is why I am comparing the 2 vehicles. Maybe if SR20 let us into what he did to his intake, it could shed some light on the subject.
Thanks. That's why I brought up the 350Z comparo in the new SCC. The tuned resonance manifold on the G/350Z makes peak power at ~6200rpms and then it plumments. The Crawford and Kinetix manifolds definately seem to help extend the upper rpm breathing on the 3.5 VQ, but even so, they don't gain huge power. Like you said earlier, 255rwhp is about the maximum the 350Z/G guys have seen with about every bolt-on.

I'm not going to post anymore on this topic because I've said what I wanted to say and I can see where this post is going. I just hope people don't get false expectations that 106mph traps from a bolt-on 6 speed or 101mph traps from a bolt-on auto are the "norm".

Dave
Old 03-24-2004, 11:23 PM
drag racing is for wussies

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...3/altima_cams/ Cant Argue with that dyno chart can U ?? Whats more sad is... a NA SR20DE fully tricked out will make more than a 3.5L NA Maxima :P 6spd suck, Same exact reason the Spec V only makes 138WHP vs 175 crank HP- thats a big loos for a 4 cylinder engine. (it uses the same tranny as a Maxima 6spd) A 140HP SR20DE makes around 128WHP when in top shape- highport series engine- 5spd tranny. I belive the reason Maximas dyno less is cause of the tranny.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:52 PM

that said, do you think dyno less therefore slower? or do you think somehow the power still gets us down the 1/4 mile just as fast?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:30 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by kloogy
I just want some of the air your cars are breathing in NC, because I have seen many 2k2-3's run at the track...even Chinkzilla....and none of us can come close to those numbers or trap speeds.....no freakin way. Not even close. My friend Mike who had his 6 speed , with all the bolt ons, couldnt touch that number. I wont compare my car , at its present state anymore, because I have a huge audio system , and the big wheels....but I trap a consistent 94 mph on all my runs. I doubt if I stripped my car to the bone, I could match those numbers.....My dyno numbers show that Im not running a weak Max either...
same air as Cali just not quite as poluted lol. Aaron92se moved out there and seems to be running the same times as he did here .
Old 03-25-2004, 03:50 AM
Blu
the tits

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=64285

found this and figured it would toss a little loop in this discussion. Check out thread #13 he is trapping 104 with 243whp in a full weight 350z lets say the driver is 160 that puts the 350 well over 3400 lbs race weight. So why couldn't SR trap 106 making approx the same power but 200 lbs lighter raceweight. I know SR's car is making somewhere in the area of mid to high 240's but the dynos around here always seem to disappoint us.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:57 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Dave B
Thanks. That's why I brought up the 350Z comparo in the new SCC. The tuned resonance manifold on the G/350Z makes peak power at ~6200rpms and then it plumments. The Crawford and Kinetix manifolds definately seem to help extend the upper rpm breathing on the 3.5 VQ, but even so, they don't gain huge power. Like you said earlier, 255rwhp is about the maximum the 350Z/G guys have seen with about every bolt-on.

I'm not going to post anymore on this topic because I've said what I wanted to say and I can see where this post is going. I just hope people don't get false expectations that 106mph traps from a bolt-on 6 speed or 101mph traps from a bolt-on auto are the "norm".

Dave
Just wait until the AC comes off and the IM goes on, then everyone will start calling BS and start blaming the clocks being wrong or out of date etc etc. Also check the link below. 104 traps with only 243whp and at least 3400+ race weight.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:44 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt the A/C only create significant drag when operational? I have heard of people removing the A/C in Mustangs, but it doesn't free a significant amount of hp. The same goes for removing the fan off the water pump and going with an electric fan in older cars.
wrong about that, fact is that if u can eliminate all belt driven accessories and switch them all to electric there would be a huge amount of power differance, and by takin the a/c off is what got him in the 13.'s that trap speed on the other hand had somehting to do with what he did with the IM, cause by creating that extra 2-3% would help. While i was in school for auto we did alot of work on older cars i myself have a Trans Am with a 68 Gto motor first thing i did was pull the a/c right off but it did weight alot more then 25 lbs total also going electric fans works too. Does anyone know if there are components that are belt driven made electric for maximas? if so post a link plz
Old 06-21-2004, 06:00 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by MoMax00
wrong about that, fact is that if u can eliminate all belt driven accessories and switch them all to electric there would be a huge amount of power differance, and by takin the a/c off is what got him in the 13.'s that trap speed on the other hand had somehting to do with what he did with the IM, cause by creating that extra 2-3% would help. While i was in school for auto we did alot of work on older cars i myself have a Trans Am with a 68 Gto motor first thing i did was pull the a/c right off but it did weight alot more then 25 lbs total also going electric fans works too. Does anyone know if there are components that are belt driven made electric for maximas? if so post a link plz

Not to be totally off topic, but what year Trams Am, and which '68 GTO engine did you use? Was it the standard 400 CID big block w/ the Rochester 650 carb, or the Ram Air II model, or the Royal 421 CID big block (that's a very small production run engine)...

Matt (SR20) is an ingenuitive person. I have no doubt in his ability to fabricate performance parts...
Old 06-21-2004, 06:44 PM

was one of the standard 400 but still does that engine have alot of power behind it its sick its just too bad i dont wanna put any more money into it to finish it off so ill be parting it out this summer and ebaying it off extra cash will buy me a turbo for my max or maybe ill just work the motor all NA first not sure yet
Old 06-21-2004, 06:48 PM

was one of the standard 400 but still does that engine have alot of power behind it its sick its just too bad i dont wanna put any more money into it to finish it off so ill be parting it out this summer and ebaying it off extra cash will buy me a turbo for my max or maybe ill just work the motor all NA first not sure yet, ooh yeah 80 TA bandit style