5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Berk Intake - Please Help...Driving me NUTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
CCx

Berk Intake - Please Help...Driving me NUTS

I've had my full Berk Intake with Apexi filter installed about three weeks now....this noise is driving me CRAZY...I'll explain.

The noise is *NOT the whistling noise that is present when you get on the gas around 3-5k RPM, that noise is present, and is just fine with me.

The noise I get is whenever I get on the gas, or get off the gas (like in traffic, low mph situations), there's this SQUEEK that comes from the left side of under the hood. On the gas, SQUEEK, off the gas, SQUEEK....very annoying, however, when I'm barely on the gas, it's a prolonged SQUEEEEEK....very high pitched...this has to be the most annoying noise I've ever heard, makes driving with the windows down impossible....if anyone has ANY ideas what this could be, please let me know...

Again, Bryan already explained why to me why the whistling noise happens, I dont have a problem with the whistling noise, it's the SQUEEEK that is related to when i press the gas pedal in or let it go, or hold it slightly in.... I've already taken apart the assembly and put it back together twice over the last two weeks in an effort to remedy it, in addition to tightening, re-tightening etc. the hose clamps

It's driving me nucking futs, and I'll buy someone a beer or two if they can help me figure it out...here's a pic of the intake:

Old 03-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe a rubber bushing that's vibrating or something?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Horra!!

I get the same exact noise with my Frankencar. I'm pretty sure its the bracket connecting to the strut tower. Cuz when you accelerate your engine shifts with the intake attached to it and when its bolted to the strut tower some metal is going to be bent. I did drive for a while with the bracket disconnected and I didn't get a squeak but a rattle cuz the intake started to bang the sides of the engine bay. I've just been to lazy to get rid of the bracket and position the intake nicely. I hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:42 PM
CCx

Wow, fantastic, maybe I'll try and remove the bracket....anyone have any indication on whether or not the Berk intake is light enough with the Apexi filter to support itself without the bracket?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:26 PM

The Berk works fine without the bracket as does the FrankenCar. I have had mine on for a couple of months without any problems. I suspect either the bracket/brace or it's the midpipe touching the throttle body.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I too have a bracket and it is not making any noise. It will be better to attach the bracket to the engine so the intake will move along with the engine.

is the material of your bracket thick and hard? mine's pretty thin and soft and the intake is still able to move a little.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by CCx
anyone have any indication on whether or not the Berk intake is light enough with the Apexi filter to support itself without the bracket?
I've have the K&N setup on for alittle over a month now and am not using any brackets and feel that its supported well enough. Let us know if you still hear the squeek afterwards.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CCx
I've had my full Berk Intake with Apexi filter installed about three weeks now....this noise is driving me CRAZY...I'll explain.

The noise is *NOT the whistling noise that is present when you get on the gas around 3-5k RPM, that noise is present, and is just fine with me.

The noise I get is whenever I get on the gas, or get off the gas (like in traffic, low mph situations), there's this SQUEEK that comes from the left side of under the hood. On the gas, SQUEEK, off the gas, SQUEEK....very annoying, however, when I'm barely on the gas, it's a prolonged SQUEEEEEK....very high pitched...this has to be the most annoying noise I've ever heard, makes driving with the windows down impossible....if anyone has ANY ideas what this could be, please let me know...

Again, Bryan already explained why to me why the whistling noise happens, I dont have a problem with the whistling noise, it's the SQUEEEK that is related to when i press the gas pedal in or let it go, or hold it slightly in.... I've already taken apart the assembly and put it back together twice over the last two weeks in an effort to remedy it, in addition to tightening, re-tightening etc. the hose clamps

It's driving me nucking futs, and I'll buy someone a beer or two if they can help me figure it out...here's a pic of the intake:

That SQUEEK you hear is the high pitch WHISTLE (air entering intake)
that everyone hears. And at 3-5 K on tach is more like a ROAR than a WHISTLE.
But yes the Berk will support it's own weight just fine no brackets.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:16 PM

tell us how it goes, cuz i started getting a similiar noise on mine...
Old 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Guys its just air being rapidly sucked through small openings, its NORMAL.
But there is one remedy -------take it off.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by 03maximan
Guys its just air being rapidly sucked through small openings, its NORMAL.
But there is one remedy -------take it off.
IT IS NOT THE SOUND OF AIR GETTING SUCKED INTO THE INTAKE. It is the squeaking sound of metal being bent. Trust me, its the bracket. Get rid of the bracket, you get rid of the sound.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 PM

How can that be a prolonged squeek as he describes?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:27 AM
CCx

It's deifnitely not the sound of air being sucked into the intake....it's somehow connected to the throttle, because holding it down in any gear about a half inch can prolong the sound for as long as need be. Pressing it in and out, 'stabbing' the pedal if you will, will produce the short SQUEEK....the noise is only apparent during the first 1/2 to 3/4 inch of pressing the pedal, and again when the pedal is released, hence the reason it's able to be prolonged if it's held down just right.

I did not get a chance to take the bracket off yesterday because it was raining when I got home from work, it will be 72 and sunny today (holy moly), so I'll definitely get to this, but again, I believe it's connected to the throttle somehow, and it's definitely not the sound of air coming into the intake - that noise is a different whistle, apparent at WOT at higher RPM's, and I actually kind of enjoy that noise

This noise is just a pain in the ***** for me, since I mostly listen to AM radio (610-WIP in Philly) and can always hear it - I'll remove the bracket and report back later, any other ideas please keep them coming, thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 05:40 AM

If it's the sound I think you're talking about, I'll tell you now that it's not the bracket. The sound that you are hearing is the resonance from the air inside the intake tract. You know all those funny shaped "boxes" they just have hanging off the OEM intake? Those are all there to cancel out the resoance. They produce a wave out of phase to the frequency that you are hearing and therefore canceling out that sound. Some maxima's have it while others don't.

The sound comes from removing the portion of the intake forward of the MAF sensor. If you have just a pop-charger intake it will make that sound.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Can you duplicate the sound while manually reving the engine from under the hood or does it only happen when using the gas pedal? Does it only happen when the hood is closed? Does it only happen when the car is moving? This sounds very strange. My frankencar doesn't have any problems and I have the bracket installed. My bracket is attached the other end of the MAF tube (closest to the fender). Just some ideas to help isolate the problem - don't know if this helps. Good luck - I hope you find the problem.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM
CCx

2k1seae,

The noise only occurs when the car is in gear, so I can't duplicate it manually -- I've revved in neutral to my heart's content, and no squeek - happens at any/all speeds in any/all gears (except for stupid things like 25mph in 5th), usually in between 1500 and 2800 RPM's.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:57 AM

Sounds strange, take it to Nissan and see what they say.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Horra!!

Take it to Nissan and they'll say your warranty is now void....
I get the sound when I switch gears too. I'm positive that the squeak when away when I removed the bracket but I had to put it back on b/c it started scraping the strut towers when the engine moves. Anyhow, this little issue is the least of my problems. Just my $.02
Old 03-26-2004, 01:40 PM
CCx

Removed the bracket, squeek remains...ugh! Thanks for all of your suggestions thusfar