5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are Rotors the same?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:10 AM

Are Rotors the same?

I just finished the rear brakes on my 2000 SE, but haven't looked closely at the fronts yet. Are the rotors the same from front to back? In other words, could I use the rotors from the rear on the front, and vice versa?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-31-2004, 09:15 AM

I don't think so. Mine's a 2000 and I was looking at my rears the other day and the fronts are vented and the rears aren't. (i.e. fronts are thicker than rears)
Old 03-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Banned

Not at all!!
Front rotor are ventillated one's and rear are plain!!

even rear pads are smaller than front one!!

forget about it!!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:57 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

The fact you ask this, makes me wonder why you're working on you own car........how many cars do you know have the same size rotors, front and rear ?......
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 AM

rear rotors will pretty much always be smaller since the majority of the braking force falls on the front ones. Hence why front ones are bigger and are vented
Old 04-01-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by kloogy
....how many cars do you know have the same size rotors, front and rear ?......
I have actually seen cars before with same size front and rear, but they were always aftermarket brake setups.

From my experience and assumption, vehicles ALWAYS come factory with vented front discs and solid rear discs or drums. Back in the old days, you were lucky to even have front discs. A lot of vehicles came with 4-wheel drums which was like stopping a big rig with bicycle brakes. (Okay so it's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

If you're not sure about your brake system, take it to a professional. I'm limited in knowledge on Maximas in specific, but I assume that all 5th gens have 4 wheel discs and anti-locks. If you get in there and mess around, especially with anti lock brakes, you might end up causing yourself some headaches.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yup, HUGE difference between the front and rear rotors.

Fronts are designed to handle a LOT more heat and friction than the rears, since the fronts do most of the braking (due to the phenomenon whereby the weight of the vehicle appears to shift forward during braking, so most of the braking must occur on the fronts to slow down the vehicle)
Old 04-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BTW, when you do rear brakes, be sure that the caliper piston is turned so that one of the "notches" point towards the inside of the wheel hub when the caliper is installed. This "notch" must engage the tab on the inner brake pad, otherwise you will have uneven pad wear and severely weakened rear brakes a few months down the road.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
BTW, when you do rear brakes, be sure that the caliper piston is turned so that one of the "notches" point towards the inside of the wheel hub when the caliper is installed. This "notch" must engage the tab on the inner brake pad, otherwise you will have uneven pad wear and severely weakened rear brakes a few months down the road.
Second that, you can purchase the universal tool from major auto shops.
NOw I need to redo my brake line since the correct SS line just arrived.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:46 PM

or used long nose pliers. If u dont know what they're talking about get a FSM. It helps a lot
Old 04-01-2004, 09:48 PM

So in essence, someone like me who is alright with cars and installations but never actually changed my pads should not do this with written step by step instructions from another post. I think I could do it, they seem like simple enough steps, but maybe I will reconcider due to the warnings in this post. Also, I dont want to pay retail for pads in any shop, I wanna get good stuff and order it cheap on the internet, anyone have a good site and especially recommend certain brand. If you could post links that would be great. Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 PM

Its not difficult! I am a noob like you..and i did them myself! Its is very simple.....the rears are a little more difficult. For the front, all you need is to remove the wheel, take off the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on, and the 2 that hold the torque member on (youll know what it is when u see it after u remove the caliper). And thats it. Just pull of the rotor (hit it with a rubber mallet if it doesnt come off) and just replace it.
For the pads they come out pretty easily, just swap them.

Well its a little more detailed than that, but its pretty much it. Very simple. For more info goto:

www.motorvate.ca
Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by VegasMaxima
So in essence, someone like me who is alright with cars and installations but never actually changed my pads should not do this with written step by step instructions from another post. I think I could do it, they seem like simple enough steps, but maybe I will reconcider due to the warnings in this post. Also, I dont want to pay retail for pads in any shop, I wanna get good stuff and order it cheap on the internet, anyone have a good site and especially recommend certain brand. If you could post links that would be great. Thanks guys
If you got a 2k/2k1 max, then here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267563

He wont be back till mid april i think, so you gotta wait. Great guy to deal with, im sure you'll be happy.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:16 AM

Well, one thing I can say for sure: I've worked on both asian imports and domestic vehicles. Asian imports are definitely less complicated to work on.

That being said, it's understandable why so many asian imports end up riced out.

I'm going to need to do my brakes myself, REALLY soon. The rotors are looking good, but I'm getting what almost sounds like a grinding noise from the front driver's side after long braking going downhill or stopping from a high speed (and I do pump the brakes). I'm going to replace the pads first and if it doesn't go away the rotors. If I still have the noise, time to look at the wheel bearings.