5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BABY Seat suggestions please....parents step in

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BABY Seat suggestions please....parents step in

Hey all! My wife and I are expecting in Aug. and we are in the process of registering for the baby shower...

Wondering which baby seat (name/model) you guys have had good luck with
in the 5th gen?

Thanx in advance
Old 04-04-2004, 02:29 PM

bump.......
Old 04-04-2004, 02:35 PM
retired moderator

I believe one of the 5-th genners at the Maryland Raceway meet had a baby seat in his....don't remember who, though. Might want to pop into the DC-Area forum and ask!
Old 04-04-2004, 04:00 PM

there have to be some parents in here
Old 04-04-2004, 04:31 PM

I believe any seat will fit. Our cars support the LATCH system. I've used a seat that had supports for the child built in, such as a rollercoaster ride would "strap you down", and I've used a setup where the seat belt would cross the child's chest, as you would wearing your seatbelt. I believe the type where the seat belt crosses your child chest is only allowed for older children.

Our Maxima's support the LATCH system and I have used a non-LATCH seat and a LATCH compatible. I always mounted the seat in the middle and either looped both rear belts around the seat or a combination of seat belts and the LATCH supports. I just made sure the seat was not loose. Actually, I made sure the base of the seat did not budge. There is a trick to getting the seat belts to lock in place to keep the seat secure: put the seat in the car, loop the belts through the back, and snap the seat belt in place. Now, here is the trick to making the thing extra secure, put YOUR knees and your weight on the seat while reverse feeding the seat belt back into its holder. Eventually, it will lock in place, then you take your weight off the seat and you have a seat the won't budge.

My other half does the child transportation, which means I seldom put the seat in my Maxima, but I have done it.

Not sure what more information I can provide. Your problem will not be what will work in the car but what fits your needs/style the most. I might suggest getting something easy to clean. Small compartments on the sides seem to work better for, say, a 4 year old, but don't serve much use for an infant, if you know what I mean.

We've used Grayco makes, which is what we have now. We liked the Eddie Bauer models but couldn't find one to match the color of our SUV interior.

Remember, you get what you pay for, and this area is a prime example of when you want to get something on the nicer side.

Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2004, 06:54 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Recaro baby seat is the way to go....They look awesome !

Old 04-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Can you get this seat with chrome handles and a 5 point Simpson harness?
Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 PM

try this:

http://www.carseatdata.org/dbView.asp

get other info at www.car-seat.org
Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Hey all! My wife and I are expecting in Aug. and we are in the process of registering for the baby shower...

Wondering which baby seat (name/model) you guys have had good luck with
in the 5th gen?

Thanx in advance
Hey congratulations man, I used a Graco with my son, I dont remember the particular model but it was a carrier style, that will be your best bet. My advice would be to spend 35 dollars and get an extra base that way you can take just the seat out if you want to take the wifes car. It is alot easier an alot cheaper. Another thing dont buy the kind of carseat that is supposed to go all the way from newborn to toddler, the angle for a newborn is too steap for the maxima seats. It worked fine in my grand cherokee but not the max. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:46 AM

We used Graco. Bought an extra base but just one carrier / seat thingie. THis way we could just snap it in either of our cars. We had the highest end model, forget what the number is. I heard the eddie Bauer ones really sucked.

To check up further on these, try http://www.epinions.com
Old 04-05-2004, 06:02 AM

Thanx for the responses fellas....I'm a newb in this dept so any input helps

Names /models help because I know those that have kids could have experience as in ease of mounting and straping down oncar, some models are overly bulky, some are easier clear the rear doors....ect
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Baby Seaty

We used a Graco too. Got the MetroLite Model thats kind of a gray&black patern. It fits right in with the black leather. The only thing about some of those seat/stroller combos are the basket on the stroller. Ours is a little tough to put larger items in when we have the baby carrier attached to the stroller. Just another something to look at when you shop around.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:46 AM

Can't mess with the Recaro 'sportline' baby seat meng....

Old 04-05-2004, 06:49 AM

Names /models help because I know those that have kids could have experience as in ease of mounting and straping down oncar, some models are overly bulky, some are easier clear the rear doors....ect

I used the Evenflo Premier Travel System. I bought the extra base for my wife's car. Used that till my son was about 8 months old and then bought the Alpha Omega by Cosco. The Evenflo ran about 300.00 for that one and then 150.00 for the Alpha Omega. Changed baby seats, because once they start to grow that carrier gets to damn heavy. Never had any problems with the Evenflo carrier clearing the door and it snapped in the base very easily. If you have leather seats I would get a rubber pad to put underneath the baby seat, It makes a difference. Babies R us carries them and they are a black thick rubber mat the goes under the baby seat to protect the leather. Don't worry about it being black, it does not stain the leather at all.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 AM

I just looked up which one we used, it was a graco SnugRide 8607. Here's what we liked about it:

Has an extendable hood piece, so you can quickly cover your baby up if it's raining while you are carrying them.

This type can also click into the graco strollers and also into shopping carts. This is good because you never have to take the baby out of the seat when moving from the car. If you're a first time parent, you'll learn that once you have them happy in something, you want to keep them there

It comes with one base and you can buy additional for ($20) and leave them in each car. You use the seat belt to hook it in.

You can try to save money by getting the ones that go from being an infant seat to a toddler seat but you lose the ability to leave them in a carrier.

Putting in the base is really easy. Measure out the seatbelt and use the special metal clip that locks the belt together, make it a tad short than what you measured. Then stick your knee in the base as you go to snap the belt in to compress the base in as much as possible. Jump on it if you have to. Tighter the better.

Once you baby get to 1 year / 20 lbs, you have to start using a toddler seat. We got the Graco ComfortSport 8433 when we hit that stage. This doesn't have a base, you just put the entire seat in.

For the toddler seat, you have to use the three moutning points in the car. One is on the rear deck lid. The other two are behind the back seat. The Maxima is the toughtest car I've ever had to install in for the two behind the seat. If you look under the bench you'll see two plastic things that you can pull forward. These will release the bench. Take the bench just halfway out so you can hook in the other two straps to the hard points. Once those are clicked in. put the bench back by shoving it under the back part of the seat, then push really hard towards the back and down at the same time. Do that for passenger and driver side. Then you can tighten the straps of the toddler seat, again, I put all my weight on the seat, I actually jump up a but and as I come down on the seat I yank a strap to tighten it.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

We used the Evenflow Portabout with an extra base but I don't know that it was such a big deal which seat we got. Just get one that snaps into and out of a base and get an extra base.

With the latch hooks burried in the back seats of the Max, you won't want to pull the base out very often. When you do need to take the base out, I found that the easiest way to do it was to remove the back bottom seat cushion. The releases (there are two of them) are in front behind where your knees would go if you were sitting in the back seat. There are two of them, just pull them towards the front of the car and pull up on the seat cushion. This way you have unrestricted access to the latch hooks when you do need them. Otherwise, I'd just leave the base in the car - it's well worth the money to get a base for each car.

Also, with our smallish trunk openings, I found that the "Snap-N-Go" stroller by Baby Trend was great. The big "travel systems" are really bulky and tougher to get into the trunk but the Snap-N-Go is really easy to work with. I've known people who just end up not using the stroller because it's too much of a PITA to lug it around.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 AM

FYI check Peg Perego P3 and primo viaggio.
Umbrella like folding for the stroller and smaller base for the infant seat.
Big $$$ thought, but search on flea-Ebay for some good prices.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:31 PM

Wow! Thanx for the info guys!

Luckily Mia has two first time grandmas lookin to spoil the crap out of her....so I'll look into those models you guys mentioned... tHANX A TON!

As far as the Recaro 'Sportline'seat is concerned.....it looks cool and all but I'm looking to ultimate cush for an infant.....maybe once she gets a lil bigger....hehe