5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A bunch of little questions about 2002 maxima's..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A bunch of little questions about 2002 maxima's..

Hey guys...

So i am getting a 2002 maxima very shortly, (as some of you may know due to my other thread) and i have a few questions about it.

i would like to know if i have the optional HLSD tranny or not. i know there is a way to tell if it does by looking at the vin, but i am not sure where it would be located.

also, i wanted to put blue led's in my window swithces like i have in my car now, and since i hardly every visit the 5th gen forums i am not sure if anyone has done this yet, or has a write up for it. does anyone have pics?

what are those holes in the rear veiw mirror? they look like some type of sensor, but i am not sure what, and the mirror always says "0 degrees c" but they temp and what not is in the speedo, so i am not sure what all that is about.

i was also reading about the driver seat moves when you get out, and then moves back when you get in! how does that work? do you have to press a button, or does it do it automaticly when you turn on/off the the car?

how is the car for having subs? i know there is not a armrest like in the 4th gen, but the seat folds down in a 40/60 manner. how do subs sound w/o folding the seat down?

my buddy emax02 has a 2k2 max, and he installed a fcp intake with apexi, and he blew 3 MAFS with the intake, but when he put the factory intake back on, the MAFS was fine, and it didn't die anymore.is this still a problem? is there aanything i should be aware of when getting an intake? (damn, i sound like a freakin newbie... lol)

ok, i think thats all the stupid annoying questions for one post... i'll have some more later...

-Chris
Old 04-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I Miss My Maxima

What I can answer:

1. HLSD only on 6 speeds. If you have a 6 speed then I think you will have to go by the VIN. On old LSDs (RWD) you could tell by lifting teh wheels up and seeing if both wheels spin forward when you turn one of them forward (if one spins in reverse its not a LSD!) Don't know if this applies to FWD or not.

2. 2k2 Maximas come with a rearview mirror with a auto or on/off button, and a headlight sensor. When it's on the button will glow green and the mirror will auto dim if headlights hit it (very nice to have at night.) I have not seen a 2k2 max with a compass/temp built into the mirror but I believe the 2k4s are so equipped, and perhaps your car someone attempted to swap in a 2k4 mirror.

3. I have two rear-firing 12" mounted in a sealed enclosure behind the rear seat. There is not as much vibration as you would expect. Common areas are the license plate, the trunk hinges, the jack/spare tire assembly, and the seat latches. Dynamat can be of some use but it is hard to completely eliminate vibes. I usually run mine with the trunk shut and the seat folded up and it hits real good inside the car. There is not much vibration inside the car, I found most of it from the rear seat latches, rearview mirror, rear cupholder, and loose items in stowage.

4. Nissan MAFs suck. However, one common problem is people installing aftermarket intakes, using too much filter oil, or not securing the intake tube properly. Dirt and filter oil do bad things to your MAF. Lots of people run intakes w/o probs though. Keep a spare MAF from DaveB just in case.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:07 PM

yes, i do have a 6-speed what you talking about with the both wheels turning is actually something called posi. HLSD is diffrent i do belive. but i am not completly sure about it. my mirror has a compass built in, which is cool, but i do not think it was even touched by a modder... the car is to perfect, and i doubt someone would go through all the trouble just install a mirror. i am glad to hear about the subs... my 4th gen rattles tremendously. how do the subs sound inside the cabin? is it loud... or would i have to fold down a seat?

lol, keep an extra mafs with me... lol... too funny. hahahah. i guess i should.
.... boy i can't wait to sell my car so i can get my new one....

anyone else help me out here? i know you guys are sick of answering these questions... i am very sorry.

thanks for you responces!!!

-chris
Old 04-04-2004, 12:23 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Depends on the subs, don't you think? Loud enough for me, i run mine at a 60hz xover, if I turn the box around so they fire into the cabin, and then fold the seats down, then it's REALLY loud. Two 12" fit about perfectly in the opening between teh seats. I am not sure how 2 15's or a single sub in a bandpass box would work.

Positraction and a LSD have same purpose -- force both wheels to spin in the same direction and divide torque equally between both wheels. I think however that the VLSD can divide or split up torque based on which wheel is getting the most or least traction?

My SE doesn't have the leather or the Meridian package, and it may be the compass mirror was a Meridian or TE option (?). Some other .org member will know the answer to that.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:15 PM

dont the max's w/hlsd have different pedals too? or am I just stupid?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
"...driver seat moves when you get out, and then moves back when you get in! how does that work? do you have to press a button, or does it do it automaticly when you turn on/off the the car?
Seat memory, switch selectable (on/off) and activated by ignition key insertion/removal.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:34 PM

On 02 and 03 6speeds with HLSD, you will have drilled metal pedals. Non-HLSD cars have regular rubber pedals. You can also look at the transaxle code on the metal plate under the hood that's attatched to the firewall. In that transaxle code somewhere will be an 'H' if you have it. If you don't, it won't be there.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6spmax
On 02 and 03 6speeds with HLSD, you will have drilled metal pedals. Non-HLSD cars have regular rubber pedals. You can also look at the transaxle code on the metal plate under the hood that's attatched to the firewall. In that transaxle code somewhere will be an 'H' if you have it. If you don't, it won't be there.

ok, great... although i don't remember the pedals.... i'll stop dy tomorrow.

anyone else about the blue switches? thanks.

-Chris
Old 04-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
...and the mirror always says "0 degrees c" but they temp and what not is in the speedo, so i am not sure what all that is about.
-Chris
The temp display is in the trip computer. There is no temp display on the rearview mirror. The trip computer gives you an outside temp, MPG rating, average speed and miles till end of tank. Also will begin flashing when you reach the last gallon of fuel I believe (usually around 30 miles or so for me). I have 3 rear firing 8" subs. You can check my webpage for some pics etc.

Hope that helps some.
-Tim
Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 AM

i didnt know about that seat thing. my moms lincoln has that, but its almost useless for me since i sit with my seats almost all the way back anyway. each time i find out more about this car it makes me want it more.

people gotta turn in their '03s from leases, i want one dammit!