5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen knockoff from ebay installed!! works great....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:33 PM

Injen knockoff from ebay installed!! works great....

So I went out on ebay and picked up the cheapo version of an injen CAI for 50 buxs and gave it a shot.
Surprisingly everything fit very well and it only took me about an hour to install with common tools. I have to say that for the first engine mod on my stock max I like it.
Definitely lost some low end torque, but I love the growl sound on WOT and the mid-top end. The filter does suck but I plan on getting a KN soon, my next stop is a y-pipe.

I still got this dam loss of power after 3000 rpm, it feels like it bogs down, sometimes it pings but sometimes it doesnt. Unrelated to the CAI, because I had this problem before, but now more noticeable. I need to get that fixed, I know many say to change the coils but I would be so angry if I spend all that $$ on coils and it doesnt fix the prob....No SES either.

Anyways, as far as the intake I like it and cant beat the price and fit.
Here is a pic and the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

Old 04-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kiosk
So I went out on ebay and picked up the cheapo version of an injen CAI for 50 buxs and gave it a shot.
Surprisingly everything fit very well and it only took me about an hour to install with common tools. I have to say that for the first engine mod on my stock max I like it.
Definitely lost some low end torque, but I love the growl sound on WOT and the mid-top end. The filter does suck but I plan on getting a KN soon, my next stop is a y-pipe.

I still got this dam loss of power after 3000 rpm, it feels like it bogs down, sometimes it pings but sometimes it doesnt. Unrelated to the CAI, because I had this problem before, but now more noticeable. I need to get that fixed, I know many say to change the coils but I would be so angry if I spend all that $$ on coils and it doesnt fix the prob....No SES either.

Anyways, as far as the intake I like it and cant beat the price and fit.
Here is a pic and the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

Man you cant beat that price. If anything you can always change the filter. How long did it take for them to ship it to you?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:53 PM

Yours looks great

Since we are all in the mood to show off pictures of our new intakes, here is my Berk intake that I installed last night:

Old 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM

I ordered a test pipe for my Maxima off Ebay last week. Installed it today! It fit great and even came with gaskets and bolts. Not bad for $50 shipped.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

my friend bought an $18 intake off ebya for his CL....sounds awesome...fitment was great...took me 10 minutes to install...you cant beat that

but as for me i love my BERK
-J
Old 04-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robjta
Man you cant beat that price. If anything you can always change the filter. How long did it take for them to ship it to you?
I got it within a weeks time, shipping was like 20 buxs. They dont include any install instructions but was easy to figure out.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 AM

I keep hearing everyone talking about a berk intake where can i get one, how much is it, and about how much hp does it add?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice. Gotta love the growl.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
I keep hearing everyone talking about a berk intake where can i get one, how much is it, and about how much hp does it add?
The Berk Intake is similar to my Frankencar intake. You can purchase it at www.BerkTechnology.com

It's just as good as the FC, but cheaper and comes to you faster. it will take you a week to get it while Frankencar will take you more than a month. I also heard it sounds good at WOT.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:29 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

How low is the filter part from the ground? Did you have problems sucking up water when you go over puddle of water?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
How low is the filter part from the ground? Did you have problems sucking up water when you go over puddle of water?
thats what i was thinking especially since there is no air bypass valve

-J
Old 04-11-2004, 09:07 AM
SEdge

i have an Injen and there's never any problems with water getting into the filter or through the piping. the filter sits about3 inches above the splash guard down by the front bumper, so its really easy to change or remove...couple screws under the car and the splash guard comes off. there are small holes in the splash guard to vent in air and let out debris, so the intake does get some airflow down there. its a well designed system, and i love it.

does anyone have any sound clips of the Berk intake?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
I got mine directly from the owner of Berk (Bryan) on the group buy forum here.
For some reason, his site doesn't offer the full intake with the midpipe for the 2000-01 Max. Check out the thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=293385
Old 04-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by SEdge
i have an Injen and there's never any problems with water getting into the filter or through the piping. the filter sits about3 inches above the splash guard down by the front bumper, so its really easy to change or remove...couple screws under the car and the splash guard comes off. there are small holes in the splash guard to vent in air and let out debris, so the intake does get some airflow down there. its a well designed system, and i love it.

does anyone have any sound clips of the Berk intake?
Same for the one I picked off ebay, sits nicely tucked under the splash guard although I havent driven thru puddles yet it looks like it wont be a problem....
Old 04-11-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Yours looks great

Since we are all in the mood to show off pictures of our new intakes, here is my Berk intake that I installed last night:

Ok I gotta ask the neeb question. How does more air get to that area. I mean with the stock intake, the air is rushing in from the front, allbeit, warm air. It seems like the position that that is in that it would be hard to get air there. And when you say that you loose low end power, how much and what speed do you see it come back??
Thanks appreciate it
Old 04-11-2004, 09:58 AM

Which one of the intakes is the one to get??

http://www.berktechnology.com/intakes.html
Old 04-11-2004, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pdt447
Which one of the intakes is the one to get??

http://www.berktechnology.com/intakes.html
dont go by the website

PM cobymoby...he will help you out and tell you what you need

-J
Old 04-11-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
dont go by the website

PM cobymoby...he will help you out and tell you what you need

-J
Who is he and what can he tell me? BTW nice Max! I love that color.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:31 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

When I wash my car, I spray in my wheel well and under my car for few min. Interested on trying another intake besides Stillen but don't want to spray water into my intake.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:40 PM

Go wuth Frankencar.....you'll be happy with it. OR go with Berk. Almost the same thing.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:33 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Are they truly cold air intake though
Old 04-11-2004, 05:27 PM

There is only 1 true CAI available for our cars and it requires you to cut a big hole into your frame. Injen, Berk and FrankenCar are all WAI's. The Injen sits behind the radiator and the pipins site next to the motor, so any cold air is warmed more so than the other WAI's. Take that with a grain of salt though, as all of them produce roughly the same HP give or take a couple. FrankenCar is a joke, you may or may not receive your product this year, Berk will be sent immediately and looks alot better.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
retired moderator

It's just as good as the FC, but cheaper and comes to you faster. it will take you a week to get it while Frankencar will take you more than a month. I also heard it sounds good at WOT.
My frankencar took just over a week to arrive after order. Frankencar or Berk....both are pretty much the same in terms of performance, it's all personal preference when it comes to appearance/name/whatever. There are a million threads arguing FC vs. Berk out there if you just like to hear people argue about a moot point. They are essentially comparable, is the bottom line...

You'll find alot of Franken-haters on here, but I for one have had NO problems with the product, company, or speed of shipping.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by pdt447:

Ok I gotta ask the neeb question. How does more air get to that area. I mean with the stock intake, the air is rushing in from the front, allbeit, warm air. It seems like the position that that is in that it would be hard to get air there. And when you say that you loose low end power, how much and what speed do you see it come back??
Thanks appreciate it

It gets air, you can hear the whistle. The real concern is that the air may be too warm at times since it is under the hood. I did keep the front of the stock air intake in place and it directs outside air towards the new filter.

So far, I have not noticed any loss of low end power. I do notice a nice growl and improved throttle response. It is quiet when cruising and only growls under acceleration. The car just seems more responsive, but that's subjective.

I have always keep MPG records on each fill up so I'll be looking to see if the new intake improves MPG.

I saw a site which had dynos from several similar intakes and they all seem to show the same HP as stock(ie no loss) but improvement when RPMs were above ~3500. These test were not done on a Maxima however.

Ok,Ok, truth is, I just like how it looks!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:15 PM

$50 doesnt sound bad. but were there any mods needed to be done and do u have a write up on it?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Kevlo for President

DOes anyone know if the 95-99 CAI will fit hte 00-01(hole in fender style)? I can make a maf adapter, i can make a midpipe. All I need to know is if the other pipe that goes to the fender will fit.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 AM

is he still offering the same group deal prices
Old 04-12-2004, 07:36 AM

I would recommend Brk to anyone, customer service is great and the intake is awsome. i didnt notice much loss in low end, but def gains in high speeds!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks appreciate it

that's why we still keep the air scoop to route the cool air to the filter.

here is a pic of my intake.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:21 AM

Damn you guys. You have now convinced me to get one of these. I dont mind a little loss on the low end, but I need that boost around 50-70mph when playing on the highway or trying to pass in rush hour. Plus I like the increased growl that doesnt come from exhaust.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
that's why we still keep the air scoop to route the cool air to the filter.

here is a pic of my intake.

So, explain how that gets more air when it is being blocked by the battery? It seems like it would get less than it being forced in by the front of the car???
Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

I need that boost around 50-70mph when playing on the highway or trying to pass in rush hour.
No matter what intake you get, it's not going to give you the power that you are describing. Sounds like you need a lot more than an intake and exhaust.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:08 AM

So, explain how that gets more air when it is being blocked by the battery? It seems like it would get less than it being forced in by the front of the car???

I'd imagine the best way to do it would be an Injen without the pipe that snakes down... i.e. a short WAI sitting right behind the radiator. My current intake is set up like that (stock airbox but with resonator removed, K&N panel filter inside) and I had noticed a difference [butt dyno], especially at highway speeds.