5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein S and rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 PM

Tein S and rough ride

Well, guys, I finally removed the Tein springs from my 2002 Maxima. With the 19s on the car, the ride is bouncy and rough to say the least on anything but smooth road. I decided to remove them and go back to stock, as I only use it for school right now and don't really have much else to do besides homework, but I took it apart in pieces. For those of you with Tein springs and you think the ride is a little on the rough side, try removing your rear springs and going back to the stock springs. Even though it raises the rear, .5 inch in my case, the ride is dramatically different. It is still stiff over really rough stuff, but the general ride dramatically improves IMO. I had the GR2 shocks on the car and they are wonderful with the stock springs, but I miss that low front end all ready. Anyway, I just thought I would share that incase any of you have issues with the Tein ride.

Todd
Old 04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by Yoogie
Well, guys, I finally removed the Tein springs from my 2002 Maxima. With the 19s on the car, the ride is bouncy and rough to say the least on anything but smooth road. I decided to remove them and go back to stock, as I only use it for school right now and don't really have much else to do besides homework, but I took it apart in pieces. For those of you with Tein springs and you think the ride is a little on the rough side, try removing your rear springs and going back to the stock springs. Even though it raises the rear, .5 inch in my case, the ride is dramatically different. It is still stiff over really rough stuff, but the general ride dramatically improves IMO. I had the GR2 shocks on the car and they are wonderful with the stock springs, but I miss that low front end all ready. Anyway, I just thought I would share that incase any of you have issues with the Tein ride.

Todd

damn my morale just drop.....i hope i can handle the ride.....
Old 04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

dropped on s-techs for a yr over 10K. ride rough...drop awesome. not for sissys..

Old 04-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Yoogie

Todd
Sounds like your experience was exactly like mine. I had S.Techs and GR-2's for about 2 months before I realized I drive wayyy tooo much on roads that aren't smooth as glass to live with the car like that. Bounced up and down like civic with heated coils. I'm back to stock now, but based on the reviews the Illumina and H.Tech's are getting, I think I'm about to purchase those. You might want to look into a milder drop like that as well...
Old 04-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
dropped on s-techs for a yr over 10K. ride rough...drop awesome. not for sissys..
Actually, it has nothing to do with sissys. I have one of these G-tech meters, we can argue about how accurate they are until we all die, and it is reading better lateral G's with the GR2 combo on stock springs than it did with the same shocks and the Tein springs. This confirms what I have felt from the week I installed them, that there IS NOT a shock made that can properly control the rate of the Tein springs(nothing about coil-over setups here, just regular drop springs). I am averaging .02 more later Gs right now on the car over the Tein set up, but the nicer part is that the ride is now controlled without the additional bounce or pitching. I wish Nissan would give us that with a front spring 1" lower....

Yes, part of the improvement in lateral G's has everything to do with the fact the combo feels much more predictable and controlled over the last combo. This is, in fact, what counts for anyone who drives, as feeling confident with the setup allows some piece of mind. The additional bounce and pitching of the Tein setup does not provide this comfort.

Todd
Old 04-15-2004, 07:36 PM
retired moderator

when is some company gonna get smart and make just a front replacement spring set for the max, with a 1/2-3/4" drop and same spring rate as stock springs. THEY WOULD MAKE A KILLING with those of us who don't want to drop the whole car (I think my back sits low enough as it is - only a 1 1/2 finger gap - but would love to drop the front 1/2 to 3/4 fo an inch...)