5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another OSCAI question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001 | 03:36 PM

I am planning on doing this simple modification , but have a few questions.

1. The design of the scoop assembly, with the dead-end branch pointing downward appears to be created for adding the OSCAI. Is there a reason for the extra plastic rather than just having a straight tube connecting the scoop to the airbox? I've never examined an air scoop before so I don't know if they're all shaped that way.

2. Punkdork's instruction talk about removing the first sensor then the second. The first sensor indicated does not seem to be in my way at all. Is this just a differance between '00 and '01 maxima or should I still be removing that 1st sensor for some reason?

3. If such a simple modification doesn't cause any problems yet increases performance, why doesn't Nissan add this little piece of extra tubing themselves?

4. What if I install the OSCAI but keep my stock filter in for a while longer?

Thanks in advance for anyone who answers any of these nagging questions.
Old 03-21-2001 | 06:31 PM
Got Bent?

1. The extra tubing acts as a resonator to cut down on noise. I think the 2k1 models are different from the 2k models in that the 2k models use an L-shaped tube to connect to a white resonator box. I think the 2k1 assemble is all one piece.

2. If you can get away with not removing the sensor, that is great. It goes back in the same place after the install anyways.

3. Probably to cut down on any noise and to not risk sucking up anything bad. Although the chances for either one of these is very low.

4. Sure, but you will probably see a greater benefit with a K&N type filter.
Old 03-21-2001 | 06:48 PM

Another thing for question 3: Cars are generally designed to handle "average" conditions and meet the needs of "average" drivers. This is why you don't find a great number of cars, even "sports" cars that are ***** out racers. Not to mention, I don't think Nissan considered people like us (More hp! More hp!) to be the principal buyer of the Maxima, eh? The "average" Maxima buyer probably considers a quiet engine to be an important aspect of the car - buying decision.
Old 03-21-2001 | 06:52 PM

The only reason I suggest removing the sensors is to give you more room to play with the scoop while adding your tubing.

There are lots of simple things that would've increased performance... stock RSBs and FSTBs for example. They don't include them because of diminishing returns... how many people who buy a max are looking for the same level of performance we are... not many so its not worth the additional cost in manufacturing.
Old 03-21-2001 | 09:04 PM

Thanks guys, but just a few things:

- Yeah, there's no white resonater box in my set-up. It's all one black plastic piece.

- I thought that the OSCAI did not make any real change in noise levels. If this is so, I still think the extra $1 worth of plastic could have gone a long way for Nissan. Am I wrong? How much extra noise can I actually expect from doing this?

- Once I've done this, I can't go back. I have to physically cut a hole in my scoop assembly to attach the 2 or 3 inch tubing. Is that not the case with the '00 maxima because I read somewhere that you could easily go back to your original configuration if you don't like it or are taking your car in for warranty service. I won't have that option.
Old 03-21-2001 | 09:07 PM

Originally posted by BlackAE
Thanks guys, but just a few things:

- Yeah, there's no white resonater box in my set-up. It's all one black plastic piece.

- I thought that the OSCAI did not make any real change in noise levels. If this is so, I still think the extra $1 worth of plastic could have gone a long way for Nissan. Am I wrong? How much extra noise can I actually expect from doing this?

- Once I've done this, I can't go back. I have to physically cut a hole in my scoop assembly to attach the 2 or 3 inch tubing. Is that not the case with the '00 maxima because I read somewhere that you could easily go back to your original configuration if you don't like it or are taking your car in for warranty service. I won't have that option.
Yeah the 00s don't require cutting. Noise levels don't go up much unless you put in a K&N. Even then it's not that loud. You could always but a second scoop. I know someone else on the board did that.
Old 03-21-2001 | 09:59 PM

Buy a new scoop is DAMN expensive ... I CUT mine ... then FILED down the Rough edges!

And now my OSCAI kicks a$$!

Its height Adjustable too!

Originally posted by punkdork

Yeah the 00s don't require cutting. Noise levels don't go up much unless you put in a K&N. Even then it's not that loud. You could always but a second scoop. I know someone else on the board did that.
Old 03-22-2001 | 10:57 AM

Just checked with Nissan re. price of a new scoop and it's $104 (Cdn.)+ tax (for a chunk of freakin' plastic!). I think what I'll do is carefully cut off the bottom of the 3 inch downward pointing cylinder and save the removed piece of plastic. Later on, if necessary, I could tape it back on with black electrician's tape and I doubt anyone working on the car would notice unless they're specifically examining that particlar part. If I wanted to permanently re-attach it with glue, that would be an option too. Just out of interest though, what kind of pressure builds up in these things? Would having a loose 3 inch diameter circle of plastic temporarily held in place by electrician's tape as I casually drive (not race) over to the dealership pose a risk? Maybe it would be better to just leave the open hole and hope nobody notices. hmmmm...
Old 03-22-2001 | 11:01 AM

I'd say if you have to.. leave an open hole.. they'd have to remove the scoop to notive it. Even then if you do a good job cutting it'd prolly be missed.
Old 03-22-2001 | 12:03 PM

I got the 2K1 model,

I drilled lotsa holes instead of cutting it out. If it happens to suck up a leaf or something, it'll get stuck there. If I remove the flex tubing, you can't tell unless touch it and feel all the little holes on the bottom. I also used a fanguard on the intake end of the tube.
Also in the picture, power lines feeding into my hut. Finally electricity. . . no more loud generators. My next project, weave a roof for the garage so my max can be safe from the harsh sun.

bp
Old 03-22-2001 | 12:46 PM

Re: I got the 2K1 model,

Originally posted by pinakbet
I drilled lotsa holes instead of cutting it out. If it happens to suck up a leaf or something, it'll get stuck there. If I remove the flex tubing, you can't tell unless touch it and feel all the little holes on the bottom. I also used a fanguard on the intake end of the tube. Also in the picture, power lines feeding into my hut. Finally electricity. . . no more loud generators. My next project, weave a roof for the garage so my max can be safe from the harsh sun.
<dd>Hey, that's a good idea. What diameter are the holes and how many/how far apart are they? I like that fanguard too, but (maybe I'm being too paranoid) I think that a good solid plastic material would be better than metal (future rust or paint chips?). I'm going to start looking around for something like that. I'm still not decided on what to use for the actual intake end, and where/how I am going to secure it in place.