5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension Set Up Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:24 PM

Suspension Set Up Feedback

OK, so I'm flyin down the road on my routine Sunday drive and go to hit a hard right turn...WHHHHOOOOAAA!!!! Body roll like no other and it I just now noticed how unacceptable it is. I mean it felt like a submarine or something, at least coming from a sport compact that took corners like it was on rails. So after 4 months of owning the car, I've finally had enough and I'm seeking ideas to get a more aggressive suspension set up. (Springs, Struts, Sway Bar, Strut Bar... the whole enchilada). What I need help/recommendations with is:

A) Order of modification (Will I notice much if I do the Sway/Strut Bars first)
B) Product recommendations (I had Eibachs on my SCC that were nice, but not loyal to that brand if there is better)
I AM NOT LOOKING TO SLAM MY RIDE, I'm looking for a drop which will give an aggressive look paired with a set of 18" or possibly 19" wheels.(With rear spacers of course)
C) Anything else I might need to know for this topic.

I do realize I will be sacrificing some ride quality with this so keep in mind that this is my daily driver so I am not going for a race setup, yet the car still needs to be able to out maneuver a LAPD squad car... I mean hug the corners a little tighter.

Any pics of setups would be great and I'll track down the products myself (unless any of you have a great parts hook-up)
Old 04-18-2004, 05:37 PM
retired moderator

The #1 thing you can do, by a longshot, is add a rear sway bar. The strut tower braces do not do as much. With my Stillen RSB (and OEM struts/springs) body roll is GREATLY reduced...it's a night and day difference.

I have the stillen, which is a little pricey but fit and finishe are excellent (and is easy to install).

There is also a stillen knock-off on ebay that supposedly works fine for $100+

And...probably the most popular RSBs are the ones by Addco/Cattman/and Progress. They are all essentially the same....a little more work to set them up by the Stillen, but nothing very difficult. These are about $100+ compared to $200+ for the Stillen. All of them do the same thing, it's all about what you want personally.

Either way, this is definitely the first thing you should do....

Also, I have read here that alot of guys with aggressive drops actually remove the sway bar because it flattens the car out TOO much and you actually lose grip at the back end.....Also someone who has a "g-meter" recently posted that he has better roadholding with OEM springs/struts and RSB/FSTB than he did with his drop....who knows if this is always the case, but goes to show that drop won't necessarily result in better cornering, just stiffer overall ride.

Oh, and the RSB has minimal effect on ride quality...only time you feel it there is when cornering over rough roads....does not affect highway driving/general ride quality at all.

...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:13 PM

If I was doing my suspension today I would go with Ebach Pro kit springs, Tokico Illuminas shocks, a $tillen RSB and FSTB ( yea I know they are overpriced but I would just buy it for the name... ) Right now I have Ebach Pro Kit, Tokico Blues, a Progress RSB and an E-bay FSTB ( $12 + shipping ) and I love it. Also I’m on 19's with Toyo FZ4. In my opinion it's a very balanced setup, I slide thru turns with no over steer or under steer.