5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Impressions of the Injen Intake..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:54 AM

Impressions of the Injen Intake..

Finally over a week sitting in my closet , i installed the Injen intake yestereday evening.Took off the stock setup, weighed all componets in the bag and it weighed in a just over 3.5lbs on the scale.Chunky for a stock intake system..cleaned my throttle body too, slightly dirty but hey i figured i was there so i better clean it. Installation wasn't hard until you had to fit the final pipe w/ the intake at the end of it between the radiator,battery, and auto cable shifter.After 30 min of struggling i finally put the 3.00" pipe in a 1/4 inch in the filter , so my filter doesn't go all the way down to the floor panel of the engine bay. My filter sits just below the middle of my radiator fan. Finally got it on and wiped the smudge marks off of the chrome pipe, hooked up the MAF cable, and turned the car on.

I was very impressed you heard no sound .....then gave it a couple of high revs. Whoa! Got love that growl!!!!!! The real test would be taking it out on the road. Got out of my driveway and notice no sound , it sounded stock,until i planted the gas pedal into the floor ! The engine sounded mean and the snap up in acceleration was present! Nice i am thinking......

Got out on the open road up to 65 mph and the intake was quite, i love that stealth setup, it sounds normal until you open her up. Went to pass some cars and that growl made you realize you don't have a stock intake no more. Acceleration was brisk and noticable, but something wasn't right, sometimes when you floored it it, i don't think ecu reconized the intake, it wouldn't kick down properly, which i thought was weird.Usually when i am cruzing at 75mph then stomp on it the transmission would kick all the way down and give me a good bump. It was getting late so i figured my mornig commute should let the ecu get use to it.

Day #2

Car started up instantly, use to have a slight hesitation before, but nothing major. I drove the car normal for 10 min until i got to the highway. I stomped it and from 45-80 mph coming onto the highway put a smile on my face!
What a rush! And the sound from the intake was insane! Put her on cruise at 75mph and after 15 min of driving i notice my milage went up. Usually push 24.7 mpg,this morning went up to 25.3 mpg, liking the intake even better!
Came upon some cars , bumped up my cruise to 80 mph , now was the test! Took the cruise off , and stomped it, is kicked down correctly this time , more intense feedback from the engine , got to 100 much fatser than normal, backed off. Milage was still the same....
This intake is like a meal that taste better on the 2nd day , it worked very well and i hope it continues!

Thing i notice of the intake.(Pros) 1.My car now redlines when getting on it. It would never redline it would always shift at 6200rpm when i had another 400 rpm to go.
2. Revs faster than normal , much responsive than before 3000-to redline is a strong pull!
3. Milage improved some , everybit helps in the pocket .
4. Looks so nice in the engine bay! i know i know, looks meen nothing if it doesn't have performance to boot!
5. No drone sound, i like that it sounds stock until you stomp on it, i asumed and was afraid of it might sounding abnoxious .

Cons...
Lost a little bit on low end , but the UR UDP should help fix that.

Worth the 200 bucks , i think so!!!! There are other intakes out there that may be cheaper , or may "claim" to have better gains, IMO i am very satisfied with the purchase.No regrets at all! I highly recommend getting a intake system for the Max, the only hard part is on you choosing which intake system do you want to go with.

Injen RD intake system
Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 AM

Glad to hear that you like your new intake...do you think that the injen would perform just as well on a 3.0?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:03 PM

i put my Ebay Injen Knockoff yesterday too...same observations as you

definitely worth the 80 bucks i spent on it
Old 05-06-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
Glad to hear that you like your new intake...do you think that the injen would perform just as well on a 3.0?

I would highly recommend it! Racing Zone here in Orlando, well reknown for performance setups for cars, the owners, two japanes guys one who owns a seriously built 350Z, the other a drift and built modified S14 Silvia (240SX) swear by Injen, they both have the intake system in there cars.

They both tried Nismo intake systems, (AEM intake system w/Nismo name on it) got fair results, used a Franken car sysetm , same thing ...better , but not great, then used Injen , and they both got the best results. I was going to make a $325 dollar investment into the Nismo intake system for the 3.5 Altima, and they talked me out of it, he showed me his dyno gains w/that intake system on, 5WHP. That alot of money to spend on a intake system that only gives you that much , and his car was a 350Z! So what would my Max make,2whp. No thanks....

Injen has dynoes for our Maxima 11WHp 13wtrq, racing zone said more in the range of 9-10whp and 12wtrq. For 200 bucks , i say that is fair......
Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 PM

Berk Technology is another one that ranks up there. Not nearly as expensive either, and their customer service is superior.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rafe
My filter sits just below the middle of my radiator fan.
Why in that location? Shouldn't it be on the lower far left (at the battery side) of the radiator?

Btw, you should reset the ECUs especially the "throttle position learning" procedure since it will recalibrate the idle air volume. Here is the link in case who have not seen it:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

If you install the Cattman's Y-pipe and a Catback system, the sound will be awesome! Just be careful when it's pouring rain or deep puddle of water.