5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AC problems, any advice would be of great help. Need a good mech. advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:40 PM

AC problems, any advice would be of great help. Need a good mech. advice

I have a 2k2, and I have noticed a grinding noise when my AC is on, but only when the compressor kicks in. My question is, if the pump siezes will the car be undrivealbe. I know we have the serpintine belt and it seems to me that if the pump won't turn, then notihing else will turn either.

So if this is the case, will turning off the AC disconnect the pump fromt he pulley and allow me to get home with power steeering and other acc., or am I pretty much screwed no matter what when my AC breaks.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:11 PM
DAP

If the pump siezes it is possible for the belt to come off. The A/C pulley will always spin but the compressor won't actually engage unless you run the A/C. You should still be covered by the warranty. I would take it to the dealer.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DAP
If the pump siezes it is possible for the belt to come off. The A/C pulley will always spin but the compressor won't actually engage unless you run the A/C. You should still be covered by the warranty. I would take it to the dealer.

Is the AC covered under the powertrain warranty, because i am at 43000
Old 06-10-2004, 06:49 PM

Wishful thinking, you're SOL...unless a seized A/C pump toast your engine...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:09 PM

If the noise is as you say only when the compressor "kicks in" then I believe this is just the sound of the clutch engaging. At low engine rpm (i.e. idle) the clutches seem to engage with a grinding glunk sometimes. Mine does it, and I had a GM car that did it for the 12 years that I owned it with no other issues. I have never heard of a compressor self destructing. By the way, to keep the AC working for years I suggest "running" the AC for a few minutes every time you drive the car even in the winter. It does operate above 23 deg. F when in the "Defrost" mode.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
If the noise is as you say only when the compressor "kicks in" then I believe this is just the sound of the clutch engaging. At low engine rpm (i.e. idle) the clutches seem to engage with a grinding glunk sometimes. Mine does it, and I had a GM car that did it for the 12 years that I owned it with no other issues. I have never heard of a compressor self destructing. By the way, to keep the AC working for years I suggest "running" the AC for a few minutes every time you drive the car even in the winter. It does operate above 23 deg. F when in the "Defrost" mode.
It makes the noise the entire time the AC compressor is running, and only noticeable above 2500rpm
Old 06-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Wild at Hurt

It sounds like a bad bearing in the compressor. The dealer of course would replace the whole compressor.

But ask around at some good auto machine shops (guys that do valve seat grinding lets say) ask if they will take a look and see if the bearing is replaceable. I use a lot of bearings of that size in my work. Prolly around $15-50 for the bearing + shop work. Might be worth a try. Unusual to have them go out that early. Running your belt too tight? That will put a big stress on them.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
It sounds like a bad bearing in the compressor. The dealer of course would replace the whole compressor.

But ask around at some good auto machine shops (guys that do valve seat grinding lets say) ask if they will take a look and see if the bearing is replaceable. I use a lot of bearings of that size in my work. Prolly around $15-50 for the bearing + shop work. Might be worth a try. Unusual to have them go out that early. Running your belt too tight? That will put a big stress on them.

Well, Nissan replaced my engine about 3 months ago. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=293680

And every since then I have been noticing a whining noise all the time.....maybe that means that my belt is too tight? I don't know

Here is what I said in the above thread...."what sounds like flowing fluid every time the revs go up. But that stops after about it warms up. Also there is this constant HIgh pitch whine, more so that usual. Any Ideas?"